Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I for one appreciate my platinum status I get for $450 this year for my international trips where platinum status has gotten incredible value
Yeah, the common idea in this thread that Platinum status is worthless is kind of wild. If they devalue it, sure, but the current version of platinum delivers real value every night stayed. That’s why lifetime Plats seem understandably annoyed that CC holders now have the same status. I would say to them, this is just how the industry is going - CC holders are very valuable customers.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Yeah, the common idea in this thread that Platinum status is worthless is kind of wild. If they devalue it, sure, but the current version of platinum delivers real value every night stayed. That’s why lifetime Plats seem understandably annoyed that CC holders now have the same status. I would say to them, this is just how the industry is going - CC holders are very valuable customers.
I only see the value of Platinum outside the US. The value that I get in Asia is incredible, but I get that not everyone likes going to Asia.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I agree with this. Another thing is that those people who achieve Platinum status organically through status shouldn't really feel that threatened by members who have it through the card because the latter obviously don't stay enough to achieve it organically. So no reason to be afraid of their occasional stays.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by friedablass
I agree with this. Another thing is that those people who achieve Platinum status organically through status shouldn't really feel that threatened by members who have it through the card because the latter obviously don't stay enough to achieve it organically. So no reason to be afraid of their occasional stays.
I think people are upset that they spent a real and significant amount of money on stays to achieve it. Now, Platinum can be obtained with just a credit card.
chica, aimango, Pocatello and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I think people are upset that they spent a real and significant amount of money on stays to achieve it. Now, Platinum can be obtained with just a credit card.
I get that. But #1 Why does that make platinum status worthless? #2 Why do they feel like these new cc Plat members who are only the occasional traveler will impinge on their benefits (i.e. there won't be enough or any suite upgrades) given the fact that they are most likely only occasional travelers?

I have Plat and spouse has Titanium neither from the Brilliant card (spouse is the one that holds one so currently makes no difference that it gives Plat). Both were admittedly achieved with boosts from holding personal and biz cards (+30 nights for each of us) which I believe many Bonvoy members have. Maybe if we'd started at zero we'd be more upset too but being that we didn't, at the moment we don't really care that much.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by friedablass
I get that. But #1 Why does that make platinum status worthless? #2 Why do they feel like these new cc Plat members who are only the occasional traveler will impinge on their benefits (i.e. there won't be enough or any suite upgrades) given the fact that they are most likely only occasional travelers?

I have Plat and spouse has Titanium neither from the Brilliant card (spouse is the one that holds one so currently makes no difference that it gives Plat). Both were admittedly achieved with boosts from holding personal and biz cards (+30 nights for each of us) which I believe many Bonvoy members have. Maybe if we'd started at zero we'd be more upset too but being that we didn't, at the moment we don't really care that much.
Part of it is induced demand. With higher status acquired more easily, I could see people shelling out just a bit more to hit up a Marriott rather than going free agent (as an example).

On top of that, suppose there's someone who might have previously been Gold, but is pushed up to Platinum by virtue of holding the card, ends up staying at a hotel and is upgraded. Suites are a fixed resource, so logically with more elites eligible for upgrade, the probability of a Titanium getting the upgrade is likely worse going forward (purely speaking wrt availability).

It's hard to say how many new credit card holders there will be who suddenly start travelling to Asia, but I imagine the number is non-zero or at least, meaningful enough to Marriott (corporate) otherwise why bother marketing the card?
lsquare and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 10:56 pm

Programs: IHG Plat(Ambssdr on occasion), Hyatt Explr(2023), AS Mileage Plan, Rapid Rewards, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Not sure if I will renew at $650. I don't need the 10 extra nights and I don't need status from the card. I think I'll have one more renewal at $450 before the end of 2022.
I'm debating also. renewal is in Feb. The $300 for us in dining is pretty simple and not causing a change in habit.

So now down to $350. Already used a$100 TSA thing, with 3 years left.

Platinum status is great but getting it "comped" this year didn't feel it amounted to much but that was with Lounges mostly closed and overall ambience post covid bringing down any luxury feel..

So, it gets down to the 85,000 pts free night. For me, might be able to squeeze in Ritz Carlton in SF or Half Moon Bay as opposed to the old 50,000 point stay somewhere. Of course, I imagine devaluations will come and what's 50-60K now will be 85 soon.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Part of it is induced demand. With higher status acquired more easily, I could see people shelling out just a bit more to hit up a Marriott rather than going free agent (as an example).

On top of that, suppose there's someone who might have previously been Gold, but is pushed up to Platinum by virtue of holding the card, ends up staying at a hotel and is upgraded. Suites are a fixed resource, so logically with more elites eligible for upgrade, the probability of a Titanium getting the upgrade is likely worse going forward (purely speaking wrt availability).

It's hard to say how many new credit card holders there will be who suddenly start travelling to Asia, but I imagine the number is non-zero or at least, meaningful enough to Marriott (corporate) otherwise why bother marketing the card?
Hopefully, there won't be an increase of Americans going to Asia. I found upgrades as a Hilton Diamond in Asia much easier than in Europe. I had zero upgrades in London, Paris, and Helsinki earlier this summer. It didn't surprise me since my impression is that Americans prefer Europe over Asia. I was upgraded on my last trip to Singapore last week at the Conrad. I expect something similar from Marriott elites going forward.
SPN Lifer and gudugan like this.

Last edited by lsquare; Sep 30, 2022 at 12:49 am
Old Sep 30, 2022, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I don't regret the money, time, and effort spent in earning lifetime Marriott Bonvy Platinum Elite status. Not in the slightest.

(Though as I've made abundantly clear it torques my jaw how they abruptly ceased lifetime Marriott Bonvy Titanium Elite qualification on Monday, 31 December 2018. )

In fact, I am rather pleased that I have saved the $9,750 I would have spent on the Marriott AmEx Brilliant for 15 years at $650 had I sought to become a credit-card-only lifer.

Plus $1875 from holding the Marriott business AmEx for 15 years, though I have indeed had it for two years, and will likely keep it for the 35K-point certificates, which I find useful.
friedablass and lsquare like this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Sep 30, 2022 at 12:37 am
Old Sep 30, 2022, 5:13 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I’ve decided to shift all my stays until EOY (excluding points redemptions) to Airbnb, Hilton, and Hotels dot com. Not worth grinding EQN anymore.

Next year I will probably requalify for Titanium again. That will last until Feb 2025, at which point I will “soft land” to LTP. No stays required in 2024.

This should fit my travel patterns well since as long as I am “actively staying” at Marriott I’ll have Titanium.

In 2024+ if I get back on OPM travel I’ll see if Globalist is possible, otherwise I’ll be a free agent as I already am with airlines.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I highly doubt any of Marriott's most prized & treasured customers, the hotel owner/developer, will get any influx of this sweet new cash inflow from the freebie Platinum CC. Instead, their net costs are likely going to go up in the form of more people eating breakfast/accessing lounge (so those will start to get denuded), requesting their earned 4pm check-out (which the hotels will increasingly deny), more SNAs in circulation (so more hotels taking suites and just offering "better rooms" 10 further feet from the elevator), etc.

So yes...get ready for a heavy Platinum devaluation.
lsquare, Illinwu and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 6:00 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I highly doubt any of Marriott's most prized & treasured customers, the hotel owner/developer, will get any influx of this sweet new cash inflow from the freebie Platinum CC. Instead, their net costs are likely going to go up in the form of more people eating breakfast/accessing lounge (so those will start to get denuded), requesting their earned 4pm check-out (which the hotels will increasingly deny), more SNAs in circulation (so more hotels taking suites and just offering "better rooms" 10 further feet from the elevator), etc.

“When everyone is elite no one is elite”
.just look at airlines with 12 available upgrades 7 confirmed for Conceirge key and 50 on the wait list to clear
Elite status illusion sadly.Want some more fries with that? I meant bonus points
oh that’s 100k for s standard room tonight sir
But it was 50k last year 😳
Sir this is our dynamic award pricing where have you been since these enhancements rolled out?If you think it’s bad now wait till next year.
Boraxo, lsquare and Illinwu like this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 6:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by gudugan
Next year I will probably requalify for Titanium again. That will last until Feb 2025, at which point I will “soft land” to LTP. No stays required in 2024.

This should fit my travel patterns well since as long as I am “actively staying” at Marriott I’ll have Titanium.
Actually I am doing this wrong. Since I requalified for Titanium this year it will last until 2024 February. I should stay 0 nights at Marriott in 2023 and then requalify for Titanium in 2024, which will keep my status active until 2026 February.

In regards to the post above, I have gotten several upgrades from my UA Silver which I got from Titanium. Just need to fly odd non-hub routes. Similarly, I will continue to stay at out of the way hotels with few elites on odd days of the week.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC

The cc Plats aren't being awarded SNAs unless they actually reach 50 nights. Granted it's made more easily attainable by the 25 night boost but they still need to actually stay another 25 nights (or 10 if they also have a Biz card), which remains to be seen if that will actually happen.

Either way, SNAs are already worthless in my opinion and I've had quite a few expire after throwing them at every reservation possible and having them denied. So something worthless can't become even more worthless...
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by christianj
Doesn't a charge to add $ to your Starbucks App trigger the credit? I thought it did and just did it the other day. Charge is still showing as pending from Starbucks so I cannot confirm it will trigger the credit. If it does....no need to buy a GC.
can confirm starbucks in app purchase triggers the credit. i just re-loaded my starbucks card.
friedablass, gudugan and eznh like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.