Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass

On a different note, does anyone remember if reloading your uber eats gift card balance triggered the dining credits in the past (like those given during covid)? Chat function on my mobile device isn't being cooperative so I would appreciate if anyone can let me know as that would be the easiest option for me at the moment for using my $25 monthly credit.
I had tried GrubHub which did not work, but Dunkin did
renila, bizum and happychic like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by CIT85
this further devalues Ambassador and Titanium status by potentially flooding the ranks of Platinum.
How?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Schnit
I had tried GrubHub which did not work, but Dunkin did
Thanks. Not a Dunkin fan. I use Uber eats the most because of all my Amex credits. Use grubhub once a month for the gold credit and Doordash once every 3 months for the chase reserve credit. So any of these 3 could potentially work for me but my preference would be uber eats.

Last edited by friedablass; Sep 23, 2022 at 3:41 pm
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC 50K, WS Gold, MB Titanium, National EE, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
I requested a new card to get the new design and can report back tomorrow as that's is ETA.
Please do keep us informed!
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
How?
I'd assume with more Platinum members in the pool, that reduces the overall number of available suites for upgrade, and further floods executive lounges with (credit card derived) members.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Lifetime Platinum here (From SPG). Rarely stay at Marriott anymore for a variety of post merger reasons. They are my backup chain - 5-10 nights/year. Going to dump this card as it no longer has value to me. If I didn’t have lifetime platinum and stayed a bit more I’d probably keep it. $350/year net is too much for a cert I’d be pressed to use.

The crappy thing about this is it’s gonna dilute Platinum more.
Boraxo and nall like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
After thinking a lot about this, a few thoughts...
  • If the benefits aren't changing, I just can't imagine how crazy the competition will be for suite upgrades. We all saw how difficult it's been the past 6 months, at least in the US. I had enough difficult trying to use the SNAs and still came up short.
  • Marriott is going to have to make this a decent value proposition for people to keep the card long term because right now, it's a bit questionable. But that's mostly because of some of the unknowns (which maybe truly are unknowns at the moment). The Hilton Aspire though sure looks better and better with their benefits by comparison where you can easily get way more value than the annual fee. It might honestly be the best lux card value wise that exists. At least until they inevitably devalue it.
  • I wonder if there will be some distinction between platinum from the Brilliant card vs platinum earned from EQNs. Yes, the annual choice benefit is something, but I'm wondering if Marriott will consider those members to be platinum plus or some other delineation. Not everyone who gets the 40 nights from the cards are going to actually stay 10 or more, so it seems like this would be a good way to give those people an extra leg up.
  • The Ritz card all of a sudden looks more interesting, particularly if you don't have the Sapphire Reserve. The $300 travel credit + 85K FNA cert + the supped up PP membership looks solid.
  • My renewal date for the card was 9/12. I did confirm in the chat that I will be receiving the 85K cert this year. I assume that will apply to all members with recent renewals.
Also, don't forget about the retention offers. My renewal was just up and I was offered 25K points for a $1K spend. Not overly exciting, but I was going to renew anyway at the $450 rate so it was at least something.
I hold the Hilton Aspire, but not sure how it is obviously better than Brilliant

1) Hilton Diamond is worse than Marriott Platinum, from what I can tell. No upgrades in the US, barely any breakfast benefit, no suite upgrades, no late checkout, barely any US lounges available. The best benefit of Hilton Diamond is better earnings. The real star of Hilton status is Gold

2) Resort credit is hard to use; so is Brilliant luxury credit. I ignore both

3) Both have priority pass and similar benefits

4) Brilliant has a dining credit, which is fine

5) Hilton’s free night is miles better

To me, Aspire is a $450 card for a superior free night cert and Diamond status. Brilliant is a $350 card for an 85K cert and Platinum status. Brilliant wins IMO (both cards are keepers).
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I hold the Hilton Aspire, but not sure how it is obviously better than Brilliant

1) Hilton Diamond is worse than Marriott Platinum, from what I can tell. No upgrades in the US, barely any breakfast benefit, no suite upgrades, no late checkout, barely any US lounges available. The best benefit of Hilton Diamond is better earnings. The real star of Hilton status is Gold

2) Resort credit is hard to use; so is Brilliant luxury credit. I ignore both

3) Both have priority pass and similar benefits

4) Brilliant has a dining credit, which is fine

5) Hilton’s free night is miles better

To me, Aspire is a $450 card for a superior free night cert and Diamond status. Brilliant is a $350 card for an 85K cert and Platinum status. Brilliant wins IMO (both cards are keepers).
The $250 Hilton travel credit > $300 in monthly Marriott restaurant credits. I also disagree with you about the resort credit. It's worth $250 and while they don't have resorts everywhere, they have many in some desirable places (Disneyworld, Key West, Vegas etc). I've had no issues using it and have found it to be quite useful. $250 in resort credits + $250 travel credit + 1 free night at any property + diamond status is very much worth the price of admission. I also agree with what another poster stated too...the diamond status is more more valuable outside of the US, at least based on my experiences. But I've had some good ones in the US too (Oceana in Santa Monica upgrade me to a wonderful suite room and I got an insane upgrade at the Waldorf Astoria in Park City to a huge suite too).

We also don't know what we're getting yet with Marriott's new Plat. At least with Hilton you know what you're getting. If Marriott has been consistent with anything, it's their devaluations. I would fully expect that one is coming on plat status within the next 16 months.

Last edited by PumpkinSmasher; Sep 23, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
The $250 Hilton travel credit > $300 in monthly Marriott restaurant credits. I also disagree with you about the resort credit. It's worth $250 and while they don't have resorts everywhere, they have many in some desirable places (Disneyworld, Key West, Vegas etc). I've had no issues using it and have found it to be quite useful. $250 in resort credits + $250 travel credit + 1 free night at any property + diamond status is very much worth the price of admission. I also agree with what another poster stated too...the diamond status is more more valuable outside of the US, at least based on my experiences. But I've had some good ones in the US too (Oceana in Santa Monica upgrade me to a wonderful suite room and I got an insane upgrade at the Waldorf Astoria in Park City to a huge suite too).

We also don't know what we're getting yet with Marriott's new Plat. At least with Hilton you know what you're getting. If Marriott has been consistent with anything, it's their devaluations. I would fully expect that one is coming on plat status within the next 16 months.

I had do look up what you meant by the $250 “travel credit” - i forgot, that is the airline fee credit. I have it on three cards and attribute basically zero value to it. If offset some fees but too inconsistent IMO. The issue with the the resort credit is that you have to stay at a Hilton resort annually - i may stay at a Hilton resort once every few years, so I don’t value it. YMMV obviously but Aspire requires that you stay at specific Hilton properties or to select an airline to take advantage of any credit. Even though the dining credit is worse than the Marriott credit, it is still worth $300 because it is easy to use.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I had do look up what you meant by the $250 “travel credit” - i forgot, that is the airline fee credit. I have it on three cards and attribute basically zero value to it. If offset some fees but too inconsistent IMO.
Since you're active on the DL forum, FYI that the Plat/Aspire airline fee credits are easily converted into a DL eCredit. See Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: DL only (2022) and in particular the thread wiki
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
My gosh - I used to base my vacations just so that I could requalify for SPG platinum.

Now this. Pathetic. Glad I bailed for Hyatt Globalist despite being lifetime titanium. Zero stays this year at Marriott. There's a reason
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:33 pm

The Aspire has a $250 resort credit and a $250 airline incidental credit -- neither of which is that hard to use if you do a little research.

But even if you can only take advantage of just one of those, it's now a net $200 AF, and that's before Diamond status and an uncapped free night.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by nall
The Aspire has a $250 resort credit and a $250 airline incidental credit -- neither of which is that hard to use if you do a little research.

But even if you can only take advantage of just one of those, it's now a net $200 AF, and that's before Diamond status and an uncapped free night.
I have access to three airline incidental credits (2x Amex platinum, 1x Aspire) and value them at $50 at most - so I don’t get too much out of them personally. The resort credit is $0 to me as I may visit a Hilton resort organically once every several years. For example, I go to Vegas every couple of years, but I’m just not gonna book one of the eligible resorts there for the credit if I don’t want to. I’d rather just book Wynn or whatever. So for me, all of the Hilton credits are essentially useless (but all are better than Marriott’s “luxury” credit FWIW).
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:34 pm

I had do look up what you meant by the $250 “travel credit” - i forgot, that is the airline fee credit. I have it on three cards and attribute basically zero value to it. If offset some fees but too inconsistent IMO. The issue with the the resort credit is that you have to stay at a Hilton resort annually - i may stay at a Hilton resort once every few years, so I don’t value it. YMMV obviously but Aspire requires that you stay at specific Hilton properties or to select an airline to take advantage of any credit. Even though the dining credit is worse than the Marriott credit, it is still worth $300 because it is easy to use.
What Zorak said. With Delta (my preferred airline), it's very easy to use the airline travel credit. Again, I think the resort credit is very easy to use at plenty of nice resorts too. My P2 also has the Aspire so it's also easy to book multiple nights to use the resort credit as well. Don't forget too that now the cost of the Brilliant card, or at least as of January, will be $200 more annually than the Hilton card too.

I just think the Hilton card offers great value if you use what's available to you. Much better than any other hotel card.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:42 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by SHLTP
My gosh - I used to base my vacations just so that I could requalify for SPG platinum.

Now this. Pathetic. Glad I bailed for Hyatt Globalist despite being lifetime titanium. Zero stays this year at Marriott. There's a reason
Good for you. Money talks. I wonder if Marriott is counting on Hyatt to eventually follow suit. Plus, it has a much smaller footprint. I guess if all larger hotel chains end up "selling" their higher tier status via credit cards, then people don't have any program to turn to.

LAX
SPN Lifer and gudugan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.