Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by mciampa
Has anyone who has the Business Amex also seen an increase in their days by 10? I haven’t so far.
Yup. My wife's account went from 30 nights to 40 nights overnight last night. When I woke up yesterday and checked it was already reflected
SPN Lifer and mciampa like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
So as a LT Titanium these “enhancements” to the card really don’t bring any real benefits with them. In the end I need to decide if the hassle using the $300 credit in restaurants AND the 85k free night (compared to the 50k night now) are worth $200 a year more. I’m thinking NOT! Will likely not renew next month.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by christianj
So as a LT Titanium these “enhancements” to the card really don’t bring any real benefits with them. In the end I need to decide if the hassle using the $300 credit in restaurants AND the 85k free night (compared to the 50k night now) are worth $200 a year more. I’m thinking NOT! Will likely not renew next month.
I'm in the same boat as a LT Titanium. There is a benefit to Priority Pass club access, if you travel enough to airports where they are available/convenient (I don't). The 85K certificate is the real puzzler, as there is no indication to its actual dollar value with dynamic point redemption values for rooms now. Sounds good on paper, but most benefits always do. I don't care about Platinum status, either, obviously.

I don't renew until July, but it's not looking likely.
SPN Lifer and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I'm in the same boat as a LT Titanium. There is a benefit to Priority Pass club access, if you travel enough to airports where they are available/convenient (I don't). The 85K certificate is the real puzzler, as there is no indication to its actual dollar value with dynamic point redemption values for rooms now. Sounds good on paper, but most benefits always do. I don't care about Platinum status, either, obviously.

I don't renew until July, but it's not looking likely.
1. Check your other higher-end credit cards as most offer Priority Pass including Chase Sapphire Reserve, Venture X, HH Amex, etc, etc.
2. I have an 85k voucher right now and was trying to use in NYC. All the top properties are now over 100k including the St. R, Chatwell and all the RC properties. Based on this I’m not convinced the 85k are worth $200 over the 50k.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by LAX
True, but I think I had seen previous offers as high as 125K before the refresh and a healthy raise of the AF. I figure 175K or even 200K might be available down the road, especially if interest in the card doesn't meet expectation. At $650, it's not too far off from Amex Plat's $695, which often offers 125K MR SUB. There should be no argument that 125K MR is much more valuable than 150K Bonvoy points.

LAX
125k MR are certainly more valuable than 150k Bonvoy. You can get an even higher SUB with Biz Plat - they are currently sending out targeted mailers and emails for anywhere between 130k and 190k from what I've personally seen but I think I read somewhere there are higher ones as well.

The difference is usually in the spend requirements with the Bonvoy cards certainly requiring less spend to get the SUB so there will still be people opting rather for that.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You know that your renewal price will be $450, right? AF increase doesn’t take effect until 1/1/2023.

I’m basically in the same place of thinking it’s not a good fit at $650. My strategy will be to do one last renewal at $450 then in 2023 switch to Chase Marriott cards once I slip under 5/24, and milk a good SUB for the Boundless there.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by friedablass
125k MR are certainly more valuable than 150k Bonvoy. You can get an even higher SUB with Biz Plat - they are currently sending out targeted mailers and emails for anywhere between 130k and 190k from what I've personally seen but I think I read somewhere there are higher ones as well.

The difference is usually in the spend requirements with the Bonvoy cards certainly requiring less spend to get the SUB so there will still be people opting rather for that.
125K MR are worth a lot more than 150K Bonvoy points. But 150K Bonvoy Points are worth a good amount. Being able to get a sign up bonus that still pays for a night at a nice luxury hotel in most markets is a pretty good sign up bonus.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
I have the Bonvoy $95 card - I just paid my AF 2 days ago and statement cut & the Amex business card.

Tried to search for this in the thread but didn't find a clear answer. Any data points yet on if I upgrade the personal card today will I get the 10 elite nights extra for 2022 still and the 85k cert instead of what would have a been a 35k cert?

I don't want to apply new for Brilliant to get SUB and close my existing Amex Bonvoy personal because its a 20 year old account. Bad for AOA.

No upgrade offers right now unfortunately.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
2. I have an 85k voucher right now and was trying to use in NYC. All the top properties are now over 100k including the St. R, Chatwell and all the RC properties. Based on this I’m not convinced the 85k are worth $200 over the 50k.
A lot of these discussions of certificates don't seem to factor inflation. A few years ago, you may have been able to reliably use 50K certs at properties that were charging $450 or $500 a night during peak times. Now, those hotels are charging $800, $900, $1,000, and aren't going to be cutting prices any time soon. The fact of the matter is that while certificates and points have devalued, cash also devalued, at least in terms of purchasing power at the high end. So the value of certs reflect that. It seems like 50K certs can now get hotels that are pricing in the $250 to $350 range. 85K certs can maybe get you stuff in the $450 to $500 range, especially if you top off. There is still incremental value there.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:02 am
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Originally Posted by BallardFlyer
I don't want to apply new for Brilliant to get SUB and close my existing Amex Bonvoy personal because its a 20 year old account. Bad for AOA.
Can't you just keep the base card open and apply new for the updated Brilliant? Or are you at the amex 5 credit card limit?
SPN Lifer and Adelphos like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You know that your renewal price will be $450, right? AF increase doesn’t take effect until 1/1/2023
i did not realize it was 1/1/2023 for renewals! Thought it was for 4Q 2022 for all.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Why bother actually earning any of these statuses through nights. Just grab a couple of credit cards, pay a few hundred bucks, and get the same perks
gudugan likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Why bother actually earning any of these statuses through nights. Just grab a couple of credit cards, pay a few hundred bucks, and get the same perks
Even if those perks are not so great anymore...
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
There are MANY people on FT that have mentioned having Hilton Aspire for status as a back up chain. Many have the IHG card for the status as well.

You could spend 1,200 a year in annual fees, offset entirely in benefits, and basically be a free agent. You will have high enough status for upgrades, etc at all the chains and just pick which one you want for each trip. Loyalty out the window.

But keep in mind there is probably only a few thousand people who would go through this. Majority of people would be more likely to say "hey I like Marriott, I can pay 650 and get treated better at hotels the 4 times a year I travel? Great!" That is the market they are going after. They are willing to accept a few "travel hackers" in exchange for loyalty to the rest.

I would not be surprised if the number of people with only 1 hotel chain card is 10-15x the number with multiple.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by Schnit
There are MANY people on FT that have mentioned having Hilton Aspire for status as a back up chain. Many have the IHG card for the status as well.

You could spend 1,200 a year in annual fees, offset entirely in benefits, and basically be a free agent. You will have high enough status for upgrades, etc at all the chains and just pick which one you want for each trip. Loyalty out the window.

But keep in mind there is probably only a few thousand people who would go through this. Majority of people would be more likely to say "hey I like Marriott, I can pay 650 and get treated better at hotels the 4 times a year I travel? Great!" That is the market they are going after. They are willing to accept a few "travel hackers" in exchange for loyalty to the rest.

I would not be surprised if the number of people with only 1 hotel chain card is 10-15x the number with multiple.
One chain or many, my point remains the same. Where is my incentive to spend tens of thousands of dollars a year with Marriott when I can spend $650 and get the same perks. Delta isn't over here giving out free Platinum status with the Reserve card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.