Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by KE81
Am I correct in understanding that we still have to hit the 50 ENCs in order to get the Annual Choice Benefit? In other words, just having the Brilliant won't be enough--we'll actually have to hit the 50 ENCs threshold (obviously made easier with the Brilliant)?
correct.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:05 pm

I think come renewal my wife will cancel her Brilliant, though I will keep mine. $350 is too much for the 85k night, but the extra nights are just enough to get me to where I'll get suite night awards each year. I don't place any value on the Platinum status because I'm sure it will just become the new Gold.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:08 pm

For those thinking of canceling or downgrading, what's everyone going to do?
I did get the 300 gift card earlier this month for statement credit.
The card now IMO really is fairly mediocre.
Certs even at 85K and then topped off do not allow much in terms of aspirational or Lux properties (at least in times I have searched).

Strongly thinking about downgrading. already have AMEX plat and just don't see another annual fee (even at 450) is worth it.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
I think come renewal my wife will cancel her Brilliant, though I will keep mine. $350 is too much for the 85k night, but the extra nights are just enough to get me to where I'll get suite night awards each year. I don't place any value on the Platinum status because I'm sure it will just become the new Gold.
Nobody can be sure about anything at this point
2 things surprised me today
1. How shockingly bad the mid tier cards are
2. How one persons discussion with an Amex rep has led to doom and gloom about the platinum status losing benefits. On the flip side , Ben over at OMAAT actually talked to an upper level Marriott rep who denied that there will be any changes

Bottom line - it may or may not happen and it may happen next year or in the future

in the meantime, for those of us who renew before 1/23 enjoy the new benefits with the $450 AF. By next year things will become clearer and one can make a more informed decision
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I am Lifetime Platinum and hold the Luxury Card, these changes make my years of loyalty literally worthless now.

Unless lifetime Platinum members are upgraded to Lifetime Titanium I am done with Marriott for good!
gudugan likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:55 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by TheMouse
AMEX site now reflects $650.
That's what I figured. I probably should have gotten it before the refresh, but the SUB was just the standard 75K. I didn't think it was worthwhile. Oh, well. I guess I will just wait for a better SUB.

LAX
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I fail to understand why Amex doesn’t make spending on some of these cards better than Amex Gold. Amex Gold already offers 4x Marriott points on restaurants and supermarkets (with the flexibility of using them for other uses). What does Bevy add? Each of the Marriott cards should earn 8x or 10x on Marriott spend, Bevy should offer 6x on dining/groceries
Do you place the same value on Marriott points as for Amex MR points? If you hold a biz gold card the Amex points are worth at least 1.25 if redeemed for travel. Or if you have biz Plat then 1.5. Better value than that can be found if you know how to leverage booking directly with airline transfer partners. There is no way that Marriott points can be worth anywhere close to that so 4x Amex is not equal to 4x Marriott. I would personally never put my groceries on a Marriott card as I'd feel I was losing at least 50% on my points earn.

Originally Posted by cubeman
The fact that with the double ENC bonuses that Titanium could be achievable for under $4k is nuts. 25 nights off the bat, plus the 5 for plat means you only need 45 nights and if you do budget stays you can easily be under $4k. Average case maybe $5-6k? Does Marriott actually see increased revenue at properties when they decrease the spend needed? Even if you kill any double ENC this year you could get Titanium for under $7-8k. Get rid of the night bonuses and then you start looking at 9-10k.
If you have a Biz card you have 40 nights off the bat - so +35 to get to Titanium. Or +30 if you select 5 nights as you annual choice benefit. You don't even need to spend all $$ to get there because even award nights booked with your points will count.

Originally Posted by lsquare
Not really. You still need 10 years of Platinum status and you can only get that after 50 EQNs. So you’ll need to find a way to get 10 EQNs or else you’ll just have the nights in your account.
You get Plat status automatically with the card. No need to get to 50 nights. The only thing you gain by getting to 50 is being able to choose your annual benefit. But you will already have had Platinum status just by holding the card.

Originally Posted by LAX
That's what I figured. I probably should have gotten it before the refresh, but the SUB was just the standard 75K. I didn't think it was worthwhile. Oh, well. I guess I will just wait for a better SUB.

LAX
SUB is now double at 150k.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:53 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by friedablass
SUB is now double at 150k.
True, but I think I had seen previous offers as high as 125K before the refresh and a healthy raise of the AF. I figure 175K or even 200K might be available down the road, especially if interest in the card doesn't meet expectation. At $650, it's not too far off from Amex Plat's $695, which often offers 125K MR SUB. There should be no argument that 125K MR is much more valuable than 150K Bonvoy points.

LAX
Old Sep 23, 2022, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Schnit
My wife and I both have cards but except for the free nights all the stays go on my account, so until this year she never broke 35 nights.

As of today she is now platinum and it shows as 1 year as platinum toward lifetime status...so I assume it does
Interestingly, my LT counter didn’t go up this year despite requalifying organically!
Old Sep 23, 2022, 12:31 am

Programs: AC 50K, WS Gold, MB Titanium, National EE, UA Silver
Anyone know if the new card will be metal?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:46 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by c224488
Anyone know if the new card will be metal?
I requested a new card to get the new design and can report back tomorrow as that's is ETA.
gudugan likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:03 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by lsquare
Sounds like IHG and if this ever materializes, it's a major devaluation. I feel bad for all the LT Platinums. I think this can only hurt and not enhance all the Platinums from pre-9/22.
With IHG, getting upgraded to Club rooms doesn't entitle you to lounge access. In fact, this is a common problem for people with Ambassador who book a room one category below Club, only to find their Club room doesn't get them into a lounge (it's there in the T&Cs and IME most ICs apply them to the letter).

What you describe is more like Hilton Gold policy (getting upgraded to Club *does* get you into the lounge), and I think it's very possible that within a year Marriott will have devalued Platinum to something similar to Hilton Gold.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Thinking about canceling due to the increased price and devaluation of credit. I dislike trying to chase down monthly credits. The $300 straight-up credit at Marriott was great. I'm already LTT, so Platinum doesn't matter. The 85k is nice but not worth the upgraded price. Oh, well.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:38 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, United Premier Silver, National Executive Elite
Has anyone who has the Business Amex also seen an increase in their days by 10? I haven’t so far.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Jprod
. On the flip side , Ben over at OMAAT actually talked to an upper level Marriott rep who denied that there will be any changes
Where did you see this - I was checking OMAAT, but couldn't find it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.