Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
Worth noting that St. Regis NYC is still very good about upgrading plats (or they were before everyone became platinum). Stayed in May and used an SNA to upgrade to a larger room and then they upgraded me to a suite on top of that.
Very fair point. Was upgraded to a larger room from base without an SNA so they will take care of you. It’s an absolutely amazing hotel that has given me favorable status amenities outside of room upgrades on several stays.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Polytonic
This can't be right. Breakfast in lounge is standard for pre-merger Marriott properties, and a welcome choice at pre-merger SPG properties. Removing lounge access effectively gates breakfast behind Titanium status, which I can't imagine is right.
I could see Marriott making Platinum more equivalent to Hilton Gold. Give a bit of daily food and beverage credit, and restrict lounge access to Titanium. Plus, this gives some meaningful distinction between Platinum and Titanium which has been lacking.

The fact that Marriott’s press release doesn’t mention lounge access, breakfast, and suite upgrade seems a bit ominous to me:
In addition, Marriott Bonvoy is announcing enhancements to its premium Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card, including Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status (which offers late checkout, a welcome gift of choice upon arrival, and more)
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the influx of Bonvoy Platinum, my guess is Platinum will gain lounge access if upgraded to Club Room based on availability from 2023. Suite upgrades and breakfasts may not be part of the Platinum benefits.
lsquare and joakgarp like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Technically, at some brands, the welcome gift language is the breakfast benefit. Though, frankly, I could see them waiting a bit to understand how many new Platinums they just created before deciding on which "Platinum benefits package" they will offer in 2023. My one hope with this is that Titanium and Ambassador breakfast benefits don't get further watered down with the increased number of Platinums (if the numbers even go up that much - perhaps, they won't as Plat wasn't that hard to get beforehand).
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by Polytonic
This can't be right. Breakfast in lounge is standard for pre-merger Marriott properties, and a welcome choice at pre-merger SPG properties. Removing lounge access effectively gates breakfast behind Titanium status, which I can't imagine is right.
Though Marriott may take away lounge access, my bet is that Marriott will follow the Hilton playbook after Hilton launched the Aspire card. Hilton, in the US, changed the breakfast benefit to $10-15 credits for up to 2 people. The new benefit has 2 really good pros from hotel owners perspective. It lowers the owners' costs to provide breakfast and at the same time, encouraged guests to incrementally spend more money due to the credits likely not covering enough of a meal.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by climbingbear
Though Marriott may take away lounge access, my bet is that Marriott will follow the Hilton playbook after Hilton launched the Aspire card. Hilton, in the US, changed the breakfast benefit to $10-15 credits for up to 2 people. The new benefit has 2 really good pros from hotel owners perspective. It lowers the owners' costs to provide breakfast and at the same time, encouraged guests to incrementally spend more money due to the credits likely not covering enough of a meal.
This is basically my experience already at most Marriott properties. I've got Platinum status anyway so I might as well wait and see what they do over the next few months to further devalue.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
My one hope with this is that Titanium and Ambassador breakfast benefits don't get further watered down with the increased number of Platinums (if the numbers even go up that much - perhaps, they won't as Plat wasn't that hard to get beforehand).
I don't think the impact will be that drastic. A lot of people who get these cards will be those who, like me, earn Plat through a mix of regular stays and matress runs. So the card will just mean no more mattress runs for those people who would otherwise earn Plat anyway. Others will be those who maybe don't travel frequently but want Plat benefits on vacations, and these people might take up some suites but the impact will be minor since they don't travel much. Most of all, given the high annual feee it would be hard for someone to justify getting the card without some loyalty to Marriott.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
Is there a rate code for the $100 luxury credit rate at St. Regis / Ritz Carlton to use online, or is it only bookable by phone?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
I don't think the impact will be that drastic. A lot of people who get these cards will be those who, like me, earn Plat through a mix of regular stays and matress runs. So the card will just mean no more mattress runs for those people who would otherwise earn Plat anyway. Others will be those who maybe don't travel frequently but want Plat benefits on vacations, and these people might take up some suites but the impact will be minor since they don't travel much. Most of all, given the high annual feee it would be hard for someone to justify getting the card without some loyalty to Marriott.
I sincerely hope you're correct, and that Marriott doesn't codify bad F&B credit behavior, a la Hilton, for all status levels, including Titanium and Ambassador.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by BR787
Is there a rate code for the $100 luxury credit rate at St. Regis / Ritz Carlton to use online, or is it only bookable by phone?
You don’t need a code; the system recognizes that the the CC is linked to the account and you can choose the rate during booking.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Schnit
Maybe you ask for to many?
Maybe.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President’s Circle, National EE
Given the changes to this product and the fact that I have attained lifetime Platinum with Marriott, what is the best strategy for downgrading or product changing this AMEX product. I am unimpressed with the new $250 card and there is no no-fee option (unlike the Hilton cards by AMEX). This is my oldest credit card, starting out as an SPG card over 20 years ago.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by TerryK
With the influx of Bonvoy Platinum, my guess is Platinum will gain lounge access if upgraded to Club Room based on availability from 2023. Suite upgrades and breakfasts may not be part of the Platinum benefits.
Sounds like IHG and if this ever materializes, it's a major devaluation. I feel bad for all the LT Platinums. I think this can only hurt and not enhance all the Platinums from pre-9/22.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by BR787
It was Z34 up until very recently but for some reason that code is not working right now. Z38 was for RC club level upgrades.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by engel001
Given the changes to this product and the fact that I have attained lifetime Platinum with Marriott, what is the best strategy for downgrading or product changing this AMEX product. I am unimpressed with the new $250 card and there is no no-fee option (unlike the Hilton cards by AMEX). This is my oldest credit card, starting out as an SPG card over 20 years ago.
Amex has a $0 fee Marriott card for downgrades only, not available to applicants. I haven't seen it mentioned lately so ask if it's available to you.

Having said that, I would consider using up dining credits until your next fee if you can get value out of that. Maybe we'll see additional incentives between now and then too.
engel001 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.