Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:44 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
How many of the new benefits of the Brilliant card are available to additional card holders? I could not find this information.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by yrs
How many of the new benefits of the Brilliant card are available to additional card holders? I could not find this information.
The main new benefits are the Free Night, 25 nights and Platinum status. Those would all be just to primary card hoder.

The dining credit anyone can use, but they dont get their own set
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
One other thing I will say - I really like the new Brilliant design - the stylized M actually makes sense for the card, and the black color is very classy. Wonder if Amex will let existing cardholders request a replacement?
Just call AMEX and say your chip stopped working, they will mail you a new one
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
seems like ritz increased value. only change looks like cert is now becoming 85k (which is updated in the website now)

everything else remains the same....15 eqn, gold status, $450 AF (woot!)

so it makes even better sense to hold both brilliant and ritz now since ill get plat status (and i have a biz cc) so will earn 40nts/yr and can eventually hit LT Plat just by holding these ccs and not do anything else..
Not really. You still need 10 years of Platinum status and you can only get that after 50 EQNs. So you’ll need to find a way to get 10 EQNs or else you’ll just have the nights in your account.

Originally Posted by dw
I think we're reading too much into this. If you go over to the Amex page for the Hilton Aspire card, all it mentions is that the card grants Hilton Diamond status, and doesn't mention any benefits at all. (Of course, some would argue Diamond is roughly worthless, lol.)
Only in the US. I’m a Hilton Diamond and just checked out of the Conrad Centennial Singapore. Absolutely fantastic hotel except for the slow internet in my room. I was upgraded to a suite at check-in and had access to the executive lounge. Hardly worthless if you ask me!
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I'm very curious to see what the renewal cert value ends up being - if anyone gets one in the next few months, please report back!
My AF renews in December, won’t get my cert until March, so it will be a while. I suspect based on how AMEX does things it will be the 85k one.

This is interesting because I can probably justify holding this card for 2022-2023 at $450 and then in December 2023 I can ask for retention offers or downgrade to the AMEX $95 card…

Originally Posted by lsquare
Only in the US. I’m a Hilton Diamond and just checked out of the Conrad Centennial Singapore. Absolutely fantastic hotel except for the slow internet in my room. I was upgraded to a suite at check-in and had access to the executive lounge. Hardly worthless if you ask me!
I don’t think it’s worthless in the US either. I’ve been upgraded at Oceana Santa Monica. Also, pretty frequently you’re earning 44x if Hilton is doing a double points promo and you’re paying with an Aspire. That’s 22k points on a $500 hotel room bill. That adds up fast. I just turned a bunch of points earned in promos into a W=A stay where I am getting over 1 cpp.
gudugan likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Sep 22, 2022 at 8:59 am
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
My AF renews in December, won’t get my cert until March, so it will be a while. I suspect based on how AMEX does things it will be the 85k one.

This is interesting because I can probably justify holding this card for 2022-2023 at $450 and then in December 2023 I can ask for retention offers or downgrade to the AMEX $95 card…
No guarantee that will happen. I’ve had nothing but bad luck with AMEX retentions lately! I’m currently 0/6 this year!
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
No guarantee that will happen. I’ve had nothing but bad luck with AMEX retentions lately! I’m currently 0/6 this year!
Maybe you ask for to many?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Yesterday, I was a lowly Gold. Today, I'm Platinum by 2 ways: by just having the Brilliant card, and I crossed the 50 night threshold with the extra 10 nights. I have a stay at the St Regis Aspen in a few days, so this is welcome. Too bad it didn't come in time for my stay at Mauna Kea a few weeks ago, but no biggie.

And if I read correctly, since my CC anniversary is next month, it will renew at the current $450 AF, is that right?
eponymous_coward and zzrayzz like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

I don’t think it’s worthless in the US either. I’ve been upgraded at Oceana Santa Monica. Also, pretty frequently you’re earning 44x if Hilton is doing a double points promo and you’re paying with an Aspire. That’s 22k points on a $500 hotel room bill. That adds up fast. I just turned a bunch of points earned in promos into a W=A stay where I am getting over 1 cpp.
I should get my cert in the next month or so after paying my $450 AF from yesterday's statement - I'll definitely report back if someone else doesn't beat me to it. Hoping for the 85K cert, but I guess I can't complain if it ends up being the 50K. Hopefully, no one on here had their cert delivered yesterday :-(
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Schnit
Maybe you ask for to many?
Yeah, I am, uh, judicious on that. I have asked for one so far (oldest card, AMEX Green, it was 10k for 1k of spend, it was this year so that card is used up on offers for a bit).

I may not be optimizing on retention offers but I figure it improves my odds of getting them. I don’t know if I would ask for another offer before December 2023. Maybe? But it would probably only be one.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by italdesign
And if I read correctly, since my CC anniversary is next month, it will renew at the current $450 AF, is that right?
Sounds like it
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:37 am

Just bought $25 Starbucks GiftCard via United MileagePlus X. Will report back.
renila, lsquare and donotblink like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:45 am

As someone who likes staying at the higher end properties this is a welcome change for the card. Question for the group - how successful is everyone in using these suite night awards at the higher-end hotels like St Regis, Ritz Carlton, etc? I'm excited about potentially getting more space when we travel with our two children.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by w2274
Confirmed with an Amex rep, Platinum will lose lounge access starting 1/1/2023.
This can't be right. Breakfast in lounge is standard for pre-merger Marriott properties, and a welcome choice at pre-merger SPG properties. Removing lounge access effectively gates breakfast behind Titanium status, which I can't imagine is right.

Originally Posted by rrgg
Marriott told us more properties will have fully dynamic pricing next year. Until we see that, it might be hard to know the value of 85k FNA and the new Brilliant. For me 50k was the sweet spot FNA.
Considering all the old 60-80k properties are now 100k/night, I imagine the 85k+15k points topoff is the "new" 50k FNA. Point inflation.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Mikeymer01
As someone who likes staying at the higher end properties this is a welcome change for the card. Question for the group - how successful is everyone in using these suite night awards at the higher-end hotels like St Regis, Ritz Carlton, etc? I'm excited about potentially getting more space when we travel with our two children.
Concur on liking the higher end properties. Ritz doesn’t accept Suite Nights. My experience is St. Regis has about a 80 percent acceptance rate and generally into the highest category. St. Regis nyc however no longer allows them to apply to anything more than a larger room. I think everyone’s Suite Night experience is unique based on success and perceptions.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Werty7777
Concur on liking the higher end properties. Ritz doesn’t accept Suite Nights. My experience is St. Regis has about a 80 percent acceptance rate and generally into the highest category. St. Regis nyc however no longer allows them to apply to anything more than a larger room. I think everyone’s Suite Night experience is unique based on success and perceptions.
Worth noting that St. Regis NYC is still very good about upgrading plats (or they were before everyone became platinum). Stayed in May and used an SNA to upgrade to a larger room and then they upgraded me to a suite on top of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.