Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 2, 22, 5:12 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: gudugan
Wiki Link
Dining Credit $25/month:

American Express relies on the merchant to process transactions within the same calendar month that you made the purchase in order to apply the statement credit in the month that it was intended. For example, if you make an eligible purchase on the last day of the month and the merchant doesn't process that transaction until the next day, the transaction date will reflect the next day's date and the statement credit would be applied in the following month.
  • Active in September 2022 (many confirmations)
  • Credit should post in a few days (not weeks). Check the "Benefits" tab in the Amex website.
  • Does not have to be spent all at once, can be split into multiple purchases #2219
  • Works with Google Wallet #2245, Paypal for UberEats USA #2252, Apple Pay #2268, Doordash #2275, Starbucks in-app charge #2340, UberEats USA (direct payment) #2352
Failures
  • UberEats Canada #2278, BC bakery chain Saint Germain #2354
To Be Confirmed
  • Grubhub
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 22, 22, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast View Post
You're right, but you would think that Amex would call out the more exciting benefits of Platinum Elite to sell the card, such as lounge access and suite upgrades, if they were sure those were sticking around.
Where are you seeing this - both on the website and the app I still see the full suite of Platinum benefits
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:57 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Hilton Diamond, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by UserMark View Post
There had been some speculation that the $25 dining credit doesn't start till October 1st, but I can't find any evidence of that.
I see this in my Amex account, should be active

Not joking - I don't spend anything on groceries, so the only real benefit would be the dining. The Amex Gold annual fee is worthless as I don't eat at the restaurants in the $120 credit, which would mean I'm out $130 (Uber credit would be usable).

In contrast, I could easily get $250 in value from a 50K cert, and I could get $15K spend by putting my Marriott stays on the Bevy (also for the 1K points per stay). However, I did just notice that the 4x on Restaurants and Groceries is only up to a combined $15K in spend - then, it goes to 2x. This probably wouldn't be an issue as I don't spend more than $15K on food yearly, but something to consider...
This is not a correct valuation, you have to take into account opportunity cost. Let's say you spend $15k in Marriott annually and $15k in food annually.
For Marriott spend you could spend it on an Amex Green at 3x MR or 5.1% return at 1.7cpp so $765. If you spend it on a Bevy you get 6x Marriott or 4.2% return at 0.7cpp so $630.

For food on the Amex green you get 3x MR or 5.1% so another $765. If you spend it on a Bevy you get 4x Marriott or 2.8% so $420.
Even if you count the Bevy as a $0 card with the FNC then you're still coming out $480 - $150 AF ahead on the Green, ignoring all of the Green credits. Same calculation applies to the Gold.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:02 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
Where are you seeing this - both on the website and the app I still see the full suite of Platinum benefits
Again, just a speculation - if someone from Amex said the same that benefits for Platinum are changing, I doubt they just made something up. But, perhaps, they did - we'll know when we know.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:07 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by gudugan View Post
This is not a correct valuation, you have to take into account opportunity cost. Let's say you spend $15k in Marriott annually and $15k in food annually.
For Marriott spend you could spend it on an Amex Green at 3x MR or 5.1% return at 1.7cpp so $765. If you spend it on a Bevy you get 6x Marriott or 4.2% return at 0.7cpp so $630.

For food on the Amex green you get 3x MR or 5.1% so another $765. If you spend it on a Bevy you get 4x Marriott or 2.8% so $420.
Even if you count the Bevy as a $0 card with the FNC then you're still coming out $480 - $150 AF ahead on the Green, ignoring all of the Green credits. Same calculation applies to the Gold.
I mean, okay, but you're assuming that I want to earn MR and value MR at the rate you stated. Frankly, I have a stash of MR that I've been unable to use as international airlines seem to have the most opaque and non-user-friendly reward booking schemes I've seen. I even tried to book some Iberia flights with an MR transfer yesterday, but found out I can't because I have a 9-digit Iberia number, and Amex only takes 8 digits. I also can't transfer Avios to Iberia unless I wait 3 months. At least with Marriott points, I can use them easily...
SPN Lifer, Adelphos and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:10 am
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC, Hilton Diamond
You're right, but you would think that Amex would call out the more exciting benefits of Platinum Elite to sell the card, such as lounge access and suite upgrades, if they were sure those were sticking around.
I think we're reading too much into this. If you go over to the Amex page for the Hilton Aspire card, all it mentions is that the card grants Hilton Diamond status, and doesn't mention any benefits at all. (Of course, some would argue Diamond is roughly worthless, lol.)
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:18 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
Assuming full value for dining credit and Platinum status benefits remains unchanged, Brilliant is an improved card. Platinum status has real value for someone that even stays 15-20 nights a year at Marriotts. Breakfast, lounge access, increased earnings.
Anyone staying 15-20 nights most likely has platinum already. This card has limited value for LTP or someone who easily earns Platinum normally. It basically confirms what we already know about how Marriott views its loyalty offerings, IE much the same way as Hilton.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, Bonvoy Plat Life, Amtrak S+, HH, DL, B6, MR
Originally Posted by c224488 View Post
Wouldn't be too thrilled to see Platinum as an automatic benefit of the Brilliant.
I know, I'm sort of bummed about that. It makes my hard-earned lifetime Platinum status seem less "special" somehow if anyone can buy it for $650/year.

The $650 fee is also going to make me seriously reconsider keeping the card when my renewal comes up. The $300 Marriott vs. food credit is basically a wash (the monthly credit is more of a pain to keep track of, but whatever). Which used to leave $150 for the FNA and other benefits -- a good deal. Now it's $350 for the FNA and other benefits. True, the FNA is worth more, but I'm also paying more than double for it. The $60k spend threshold is too high for me, I think, for the extra benefits.
gudugan likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:25 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Then they take away our Titanium benefits page...

Sorry, we can't find the page you requested.

Old Sep 22, 22, 7:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT PRO | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Something to keep in mind as well is that you still need 50 ENCs to get the platinum annual choice benefit (like SNUs). This card gives you 25. Historically you could get a max of 30 ENCs from credit cards, so there is likely still an element of earn to get the full plat benefits.
renila, Adelphos and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT PRO | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Wondering if the 30 ENC cap from CCs is going up to entice people to have all three cards to get closer to titanium?
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by AAdamE View Post
Wondering if the 30 ENC cap from CCs is going up to entice people to have all three cards to get closer to titanium?
Must have already as I got changed to 40 today.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:29 am

What were the platinum and titaniums choice awards? I cannot find that information any longer.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp View Post
... Which used to leave $150 for the FNA and other benefits -- a good deal. Now it's $350 for the FNA and other benefits. True, the FNA is worth more, but I'm also paying more than double for it...
Plus, when using an 85k FNA for a more expensive hotel, I'm unlikely to want a 1-night stay. The rest have to be paid with a higher cash rate or higher points rate compared to a 50k stay. I'm likely to pad a 50k FNA with extra points but not pad an 85k FNA unless the stay is something special.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:34 am

Programs: UA1K MM, Marriott Titanium
It's 40 now, the extra 10 posted to my account this morning.
AAdamE likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:38 am

You max out at 40

Search this Thread