Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Personally I hope they don't give away Platinum / Titanium with 50k spend as rumoured.

Then we'll just get the same system as this China members can buy Platinum status for $13 + 8 nights.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by gudugan
Personally I hope they don't give away Platinum / Titanium with 50k spend as rumoured.

Then we'll just get the same system as this China members can buy Platinum status for $13 + 8 nights.
I hope they don't give away Platinum just for holding the Amex Brilliant. That would kill the program (even for Titanium Elites). I am OK with them giving away Platinum for 50K spend as I don't think a lot of people would be willing to put that much spend on a Marriott card for Platinum/Titanium status.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by GarudaSoars
I hope they don't give away Platinum just for holding the Amex Brilliant. That would kill the program (even for Titanium Elites). I am OK with them giving away Platinum for 50K spend as I don't think a lot of people would be willing to put that much spend on a Marriott card for Platinum/Titanium status.
Agree since most people can get way better value for 50k spend on other cards, than getting 2x Marriott points on this one.

Are they also going to have a spend threshold for Titanium or just for Plat? Or are these details still unknown?
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
Are they also going to have a spend threshold for Titanium or just for Plat? Or are these details still unknown?
Unknown. Everything is speculation right now. Nothing confirmed.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I hope they don't give away Platinum just for holding the Amex Brilliant.
It definitely incentivized me to get the Brilliant when they did this fairly briefly in late 2020-early 2021 as a promotion.

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/mar...atinum-status/

I also stayed at Marriott enough + picked up the business card and thus requalified in 2022 (helped by pandemic night bonuses) and for 2023 (I'm skeptical I will requalify in 2024, the fully dynamically priced awards coming in 2023 and the current and rumored changes to the Brilliant make me leery of investing a lot of energy in this program, I'm in "wait and see" mode, and the $95 AMEX is a downgrade option for me... $230 for two 35k certs might not be too awful).

That promo definitely steered some stays towards Marriott that I could have otherwise just gone "nah, I have other options" about (2022 was an unusual year, where I stayed six weeks in hotels throughout Europe, so it made some sense to do things that would enhance status that year). So I am pretty sure this is exactly what Marriott was aiming for in their promo, attracting new business vs. rewarding people who are already diehard loyalists.

Frankly Hilton awarding Diamond for holding the Aspire hasn't "killed the program" as far as I can tell. There have been devaluations but even Hyatt is devaluing their points. I suspect that Marriott has a better idea of what the "business decision" needs to be here. Maybe it's Platinum with a top-end card, maybe it's not.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:00 pm

Agree since most people can get way better value for 50k spend on other cards, than getting 2x Marriott points on this one.

The survey Amex sent last year said 50k spend would give you additional 50k points (in essence 3x spend, and an 85k certificate).

If for 50k spend you get 150,000 points, titanium status and an 85k certificate, I could see people going for it
Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Schnit
The survey Amex sent last year said 50k spend would give you additional 50k points (in essence 3x spend, and an 85k certificate).

If for 50k spend you get 150,000 points, titanium status and an 85k certificate, I could see people going for it
Yes, then it would make more sense because your getting quite a bit more value than just 2x points.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I totally forgot about the $300 credit. How do I check whether it's been used and also is today the last day to use it and get the $300 back? Anyone got instructions and the link to buying the e-GC and get the $300? TIA!
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
I totally forgot about the $300 credit. How do I check whether it's been used and also is today the last day to use it and get the $300 back? Anyone got instructions and the link to buying the e-GC and get the $300? TIA!
Yes today is the last day and the charge has to post today for the $300 to credit.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by Illinwu
I believe once it's posted it has the initial charge date.
Yes, that's often the case, but in my instance the temporary charges did NOT turn into actual charges. They went away. Thankfully I now have the fully-posted correct charge with a 9/20 date. So I snuck in just under the wire. Fingers crossed.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Yes today is the last day and the charge has to post today for the $300 to credit.
I don't think it's going to post today. When has a transaction initiated and posted same day? I just don't remember if the posting date on AMEX is the same as the date of the transaction.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Looking forward to buy some take away food tomorrow!
Illinwu and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by joakgarp
Looking forward to buy some take away food tomorrow!
Just don't get your hopes up that it will be reimbursed
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Schnit

$50K Spend for 3x Points + Titanium Status would indeed be an attractive option. However, this would still lose value if they just give Platinum status for holding the card as then the number of elites becomes unmanageable for hotels such as breakfast, lounge access, suite upgrades etc causing them to cut-back across the board.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and Illinwu like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:31 am

$50K Spend for 3x Points + Titanium Status would indeed be an attractive option. However, this would still lose value if they just give Platinum status for holding the card as then the number of elites becomes unmanageable for hotels such as breakfast, lounge access, suite upgrades etc causing them to cut-back across the board.
Hilton gives it in essence for free with the Aspire card.

I am guessing the number of people willing to put 50k on a card for the status and points (and certificate) are probably pretty small. For sure less than 1% of card holders. And most of those people would probably already have status and would be doing it for the certificate.

I cannot imagine tons of people are willing to put 50k on a card. I am guessing less than 1% of people in the US charge that much over the entirety of the year, on every card, combined.
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.