Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:01 am

Certainly makes tracking to make sure I max my credits easier if it posts as we go
Old Sep 1, 2022, 9:48 am

E gift card order was declined using my brilliant.

Weird because I've used this card in the past for the exact same thing
Old Sep 1, 2022, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
E gift card order was declined using my brilliant.

Weird because I've used this card in the past for the exact same thing
When did you buy it? Definitely after renewal date? Did you get 6x?
Old Sep 1, 2022, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Schnit
When did you buy it? Definitely after renewal date? Did you get 6x?
Aug 31, purchase was declined by the gift card processing company manually a day later (givex?), got 0x

Claims my address didn't match, but I showed a screenshot of what Amex has and what I used on my purchase, matches to the letter. No resolution. Might just need to find a hotel with physical cards.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Another DP, charged 300$ for online physical gift Aug 20, reimbursed Aug 22
Does the transaction appear as, "MARRIOTT REWARDS" on your statement?

Thank you,
Old Sep 2, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by GarudaSoars

Thank you,
FWIW, it did on mine initially, as "MARRIOTT REWARDS." Credit appeared three days later as "MARRIOTT BONVOY CREDIT."

On my monthly statement shortly after, the initial transaction description changed to "MARRIOTT GIFT CARDS MIDVALE UT."
GarudaSoars likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
FWIW, it did on mine initially, as "MARRIOTT REWARDS." Credit appeared three days later as "MARRIOTT BONVOY CREDIT."

On my monthly statement shortly after, the initial transaction description changed to "MARRIOTT GIFT CARDS MIDVALE UT."
Thank you. I made the $300 gift card purchase and wanted to check whether I did it right and it will code correctly as it said, "MARRIOTT REWARDS" in my account.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 3:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,

Thank you,
As the others also confirmed, the pending charge appeared that way and also posted as MARRIOTT REWARDS.

Side note, my 50k cert finally posted to my account, which was going to be my cue to downgrade the card to the 95$ version. But I’ll hold onto until they announce whether we are grandfathered into higher elite benefits or not
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
Had been really on the fence whether to do one more year and it didn't seem worth it without the $300 credit, but spending $300 in a 2-week window seemed next to impossible. I was all ready to do the gift card thing, but then I learned here (thanks!) and confirmed with the rep that I actually had a one month window because the membership anniversary was several weeks before when the annual fee is charged. Then I got "lucky" (depending on how you look at it) and ended up spending $300 unexpectedly at a Marriott in that window, so problem solved.

Guess we'll see how the dining credit pans out, but anticipating I'll cancel or downgrade after this year.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
As the others also confirmed, the pending charge appeared that way and also posted as MARRIOTT REWARDS.

Side note, my 50k cert finally posted to my account, which was going to be my cue to downgrade the card to the 95$ version. But I’ll hold onto until they announce whether we are grandfathered into higher elite benefits or not
Just wondering where can I find the info about 95$ ver? 300 dining credit is really hard for me to use up since the places we dine out don't accept amex.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 11:53 am

If the rumor turns out to be true that the Annual Fee for the credit card will be increased to $650 (same as Amex Platinum) then I do hope we also get some of the benefits of the Amex Platinum such as access to Amex's International Airline Program (IAP).
Old Sep 8, 2022, 12:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Keisuke Himuro
Just wondering where can I find the info about 95$ ver? 300 dining credit is really hard for me to use up since the places we dine out don't accept amex.
It's the SPG legacy card, not open to new applications but you can downgrade. I believe it's called merely the Amex Bonvoy Card, basically mirrors the Bonvoy Business Amex card but for 95$ instead of 125$ (Annual 35k cert and 15 elite night credits)
SPN Lifer and Keisuke Himuro like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:05 am

If the rumor turns out to be true that the Annual Fee for the credit card will be increased to $650 (same as Amex Platinum) then I do hope we also get some of the benefits of the Amex Platinum such as access to Amex's International Airline Program (IAP).
Wow! if that's the case, I'll have to downgrade this card. I don't like 300 dining credits at the beginning.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Keisuke Himuro
Wow! if that's the case, I'll have to downgrade this card. I don't like 300 dining credits at the beginning.
If one downgrades, the 35K certificate doesn't get you much once the Marriott guardrails are off. I was looking at a redemption booking in Hawaii for next year and the hotel night is already conveniently priced just above the reach of the 50K certificate + 15K top-off (this is with Marriott guardrails on). When I check for a one-night booking, the lowest redemption night I find is:

Jan: Lowest is 66K points/night
Feb: Lowest is 66K points/night
Mar: Lowest is 66K points/night

In all the three months, not a night at 65,000 points and below.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 11:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

If one downgrades, the 35K certificate doesn't get you much once the Marriott guardrails are off. I was looking at a redemption booking in Hawaii for next year and the hotel night is already conveniently priced just above the reach of the 50K certificate + 15K top-off (this is with Marriott guardrails on). When I check for a one-night booking, the lowest redemption night I find is:

Jan: Lowest is 66K points/night
Feb: Lowest is 66K points/night
Mar: Lowest is 66K points/night

In all the three months, not a night at 65,000 points and below.
I always need at least one random Residence Inn that’s 30k points in the middle of no where/near an airport that would almost certainly cost more than 95$ a year. They extra 15 nights is really useful too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.