Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Old Jun 23, 22, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie View Post
I definitely prefer the $300 Marriott credit.
One and done.
Me too. This change will tip the scale to cancel this card prior to next AF. I donít have time for the nickel and dime coupon book games. And no longer need EQN as a newly minted lifetime Plat
no1cub17, gudugan and Retiredlife like this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Ouch. I just sockdrawered the card too. Thankfully my anniversary date is 8/22 so I have a month to burn the $300 credit I suppose.

Does anyone know if the old SPG/MR card with the 35k cert is available as a downgrade option?
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:48 pm
Community Director

If we buy a gift card at a property that has them before 9/22, will we get the $300 rebated?
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic View Post
Ouch. I just sockdrawered the card too. Thankfully my anniversary date is 8/22 so I have a month to burn the $300 credit I suppose.

Does anyone know if the old SPG/MR card with the 35k cert is available as a downgrade option?
Yes
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
If we buy a gift card at a property that has them before 9/22, will we get the $300 rebated?
Yes, or from Marriott.com
gudugan likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Platinum
For what it's worth, I did get the $300 credit buying a gift card online (see the GC thread) last year. I'm assuming that still works anyway.
Old Jun 23, 22, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Absolutely terrible path credit cards are moving down. I would say under good authority, most people probably have this card because they stay at Marriott. However, this isn't as profitable for the CCs to get used for 1 hotel purchase and sock drawered. So now, you are either carrying the card more often or not utilizing the full $300.

You can find a positive in this if you want. Until you either forget to use it and/or start to have more and more credits to balance. Awful.
Old Jun 23, 22, 2:36 pm

I also am not happy about this but at least my local microbrewery cans their beer and they code as a restaurant. $25 in beer for me per month. I will be too buzzed to care that Marriott devalued their free night certificates!

Come October when my renewal hits I will see what retention offer they have and make my long term decision. I suspect they will be getting quite a few calls or chats via the app
gudugan likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 2:44 pm
Community Director

At least the $25 monthly restaurant credit is at any restaurant and isn't tied into GrubHub/DoorDash/UberEats. I get that we would all rather have a $300 Marriott credit but I will be able to use the replacement.
Old Jun 23, 22, 2:52 pm

At least the $25 monthly restaurant credit is at any restaurant and isn't tied into GrubHub/DoorDash/UberEats. I get that we would all rather have a $300 Marriott credit but I will be able to use the replacement.
Depends how you look at it. At the end of the day itís the same $300
1.Using the card to offset a Marriott stay is easier bc itís one lump sum and is being used for the cards intended purpose
2. $25 a month at a restaurant to me is marginally acceptable if your restaurant charge is low. Otherwise you are leaving points on the table bc there are a lot of cards out there with better return. Iíd rather put a $300 dinner on the gold card and get 4x points. $25 off of $300 and 3x Marriott points isnít very compelling

Last edited by Jprod; Jun 23, 22 at 2:58 pm
Old Jun 23, 22, 3:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hertz PC
I think I'm abandoning this card near my renewal date. The $25/month is annoying to remember using every month. My Amex SPG and Amex Business already cover my needs.
Old Jun 23, 22, 5:04 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Hyatt Exploits
Originally Posted by Jprod View Post
Depends how you look at it. At the end of the day it’s the same $300
1.Using the card to offset a Marriott stay is easier bc it’s one lump sum and is being used for the cards intended purpose
2. $25 a month at a restaurant to me is marginally acceptable if your restaurant charge is low. Otherwise you are leaving points on the table bc there are a lot of cards out there with better return. I’d rather put a $300 dinner on the gold card and get 4x points. $25 off of $300 and 3x Marriott points isn’t very compelling
It's not difficult to put a Marriott Bonvoy card in Apple Pay / Google Wallet and spend $25 on breakfast / lunch on a monthly basis. That is what I did when Amex added all the small dining credits to their cards in 2020. A monthly GrubHub / UberEats order also works. No need to carry the physical card.

That said it is a negative change, and I will likely cancel the cards in 2023 or 2024.
Old Jun 23, 22, 5:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Well, I was on the fence about downgrading to the SPG legacy card and Amex made the decision easy for me. At least I can use the 300$ before I downgrade in September!
Old Jun 23, 22, 5:18 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Hyatt Exploits
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer View Post
Well, I was on the fence about downgrading to the SPG legacy card and Amex made the decision easy for me. At least I can use the 300$ before I downgrade in September!
Check for a retention offer. I got 60K Bonvoy Points for $2,000 in spend, can use a new $300 credit before September, and will get the $25 dining credits from September through July 2023. $550 in Credits, 60K in Bonvoy Points and another 50K cert is good value for $450,
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:41 pm

The change to $25 in restaurant credits is certainly not as easy and effortless to use as the $300 resort credit. In my opinion it is a downgrade-

changing gears-
Iím Curious how long after signing up for the card does it take for the 15 night credits to appear?

I received the bonus points for signing up immediately after hitting the spend requirement several week ago but I have yet to see the night credits. The terms say up to 60 days and Iím only around the 50 day mark; but in my experience these things tend to happen much quicker.

any data points?
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:08 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
I donít need the Elite night credits since I made lifetime plat. The question for me is which Amex to downgrade to. Does Amex have a constraint like Chase does that you need to downgrade to another Amex with the affiliated brand?

Search this Thread