Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Post Your Marriott Bonvoy Elite Upgrade Experiences 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
POSTING FORMAT

Property:
Date(s):
Room booked:
Room received:
Elite Level: (Platinum, Titanium, Ambassador)
Award stay: (yes/no), type (Points, PointSavers, C+P, Travel Package, CCFNA35K, CCFNA40K, etc.)
Rate Type: (Off Peak/Standard/Peak)
LNF stay: (yes/no)
SNAs redeemed: (yes/no)
Comments:
Print Wikipost

Post Your Marriott Bonvoy Elite Upgrade Experiences 2019

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:01 am

Property: Courtyard Toronto Downtown
Date(s): March 28
Room booked: King Guest Room
Room received: King Suite
Elite Level: LT Titanium
Award stay: No
Rate Type: Corp
LNF stay: No
SNAs redeemed: No
Comments: Decent sized living area with sink/fridge, full-size couch and work surface. Hallway to separate bedroom w/king bed. Thermostats in Celsius only
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:09 am

Property: Delta Hotels by Marriott Toronto
Date(s): March 2019 - 1 night
Room booked: City View, 1 King
Room received: Club Level King, Club lounge access
Elite Level: Platinum
Award stay: no
Rate Type: Prepaid
LNF stay: no
SNAs redeemed: no
Comments: Decided to come for a staycation, b/c I was curious about all the great reviews. I didn't get a suite upgrade, but didn't ask either. The lounge is lovely, but it's a bit busy during breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres. I noticed that for the upcoming weekends the price point is higher than the St. Regis, which seems crazy to me.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by minimiso
Property: Delta Hotels by Marriott Toronto

I noticed that for the upcoming weekends the price point is higher than the St. Regis, which seems crazy to me.
Perhaps, but it's supply and demand.

The Delta is closer to the convention center and, I believe, the arena and stadiums.

Many customers wouldn't even consider the St. Regis because they presume it's unaffordable so they go for the more affordable brand. This is especially true in Canada, where Delta was an established brand before Marriott acquired it circa 2015. St. Regis is relatively unfamiliar to many Canadians.

The same maxim is true for airfares to the Caribbean and other leisure destinations. Often domestic first-class is as cheap or barely more expensive than economy-class because the demand is in economy, not the forward-cabin.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Perhaps, but it's supply and demand.

The Delta is closer to the convention center and, I believe, the arena and stadiums.

Many customers wouldn't even consider the St. Regis because they presume it's unaffordable so they go for the more affordable brand. This is especially true in Canada, where Delta was an established brand before Marriott acquired it circa 2015. St. Regis is relatively unfamiliar to many Canadians.
I completely agree with you. I guess my comment wasn't about the economics of the pricing, but perhaps the opportunity to splurge on the St. Regis without having to bend over backwards to justify it. Did enjoy my stay at both properties!
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by minimiso
I guess my comment wasn't about the economics of the pricing, but perhaps the opportunity to splurge on the St. Regis without having to bend over backwards to justify it. Did enjoy my stay at both properties!
Others are blasting the St. Regis, Toronto on the property-specific master thread at the moment.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:04 am

Le Meridien Visconti, Rome
4 nights, March, cheapest cash rate. No meaningful upgrade ( maybe one category from deluxe to superior). Dreadful room on a low floor, overlooking the garbage collection area. Yes, the hotel was busy but they didn’t give any priority in room allocation ( ie, the location, outlook) . I love the Prati location but won’t be rushing back here. Moreover there is a certain snootiness about a few of the front desk staff, like they’re doing you a favour by permitting you to stay...in stark contrast with their competitor properties.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Property: Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok
Date(s): 6 nights in January 2019
Room booked: Standard room -- but used SNA for three nights
Room received: Grande Suite, high floor (24th or so), lake view
Elite Level: Titanium
Rate Type: Senior
BRG stay: No
SNAs redeemed: for first three nights
Comments: We had booked three nights here and then three nights at the JW Marriott BKK. But my wife, who had not stayed before at the SGS, liked it so much that we cancelled the JW and made an additional three-night booking at SGS instead. When I notified the front desk of our additional reservation, they said we could keep our suite for the additional three days, no need to apply more SNAs.

Property: Charlotte (NC) Airport Sheraton
Date(s): 1 night in March 2019
Room booked: Standard room
Room received: Standard room on the top (Executive) floor
Rate Type: Senior (about the same as what I paid for the nicer-by-orders-of-magnitude Westin Grande Sukhumvit a couple of nights later)
Comments: I was not expecting much from this generic airport hotel, but I had hoped for a good night's sleep before flying to Montreal, Doha, and Bangkok. I arrived late in the evening only to find the hotel almost fully occupied by a noisy and rambunctious group attending a roller-skating convention. The front desk offered to move me from the 8th to the 6th floor, which they said was where they put airline crews and would therefore be more quiet. I wasn't so sure about this -- I was afraid of crews arriving at 3 a.m. and having conversations in the hallway before heading to their individual rooms -- so I stayed on the top floor figuring that at least the noise would be coming from fewer directions. I had requested a runway view but this was not available due to the high occupancy. The possibility of a suite upgrade was not mentioned by me or by any hotel employee.

Property: Westin Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok
Date(s):1 night in March 2019
Room received: Standard room on 24th (Executive) floor -- but they would have given me a suite if I had wanted to wait a few hours
Rate Type: Senior
Comments: I like the Westin GS, but I don't stay there much because I like the Sheraton GS across the street even better. In this case I booked a one-night stay at the Westin immediately after my transoceanic flights because the Bonvoy double points promotion only applied beginning with the second stay. (So one night at the Westin followed by six nights at the Sheraton would yield 6000 more points than a single stay of seven nights at either hotel.) When I looked at my Westin reservation a couple of days before arrival I was happy to see that I had been upgraded to a suite. But I arrived at 9 a.m., and they said they would probably not have any suites available until at least 4 p.m., so I settled for a regular room.

Property: Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok
Date(s): 13 nights in March 2019
Room received: Luxury Suite, 2nd-highest floor (32), lake view (with a slice of the Chao Praya River in the background)
Rate Type: Senior (first 6 nights), Member Prepaid (last 7 nights)
Comments: Stopped by the hotel the day before my arrival -- as noted above, I was staying across the street at the Westin for my first day and night in Bangkok -- and the person at the front desk said she hoped she'd be able to put me in a suite. I don't usually ask for suite upgrades, but when I checked in the following afternoon I mentioned to the person who checked me in that her colleague had mentioned the possibility of a suite. She said there was no suite available but that they would "monitor" and perhaps I could move at some point during my stay. She then assigned me a lovely and spacious corner room on the 25th floor with a northern-facing (BTS, Westin, Terminal 21, Baiyoke Sky Tower) view. Just as I was beginning to unpack, someone called from the front desk and said that a guest who had been scheduled to occupy a suite on the 32nd floor had just canceled and would I like to move to that suite instead? So I did. A few days later, when plans for a short regional side trip fell through, I made an additional seven-night online reservation that effectively extended my stay at Sheraton GS from 6 to 13 nights. I then notified a young lady at the front desk of this new reservation and made clear that I was deeply grateful for the six-night suite upgrade but that I did not want to prevail on their kindness and would be happy to move to a regular room for the following seven nights. She made a quick phone call and told me I could keep the suite for the whole thirteen-night stay.
damon88, RobOnLI, CIT85 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Property: The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection NYC
Date(s): 3/30
Room booked: Standard Queen
Room received: Deluxe King
Elite Level: LT Titanium
Rate Type: AAA
Comments: Overall a decent one night stay. Room was nicely renovated and large by NYC standards. Bathroom was tiny! No real issues with the stay but considering it was a relatively quiet weekend in NYC I had hoped for a better upgrade.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Property: JW Essex house, NYC
Date(s): Late March, 2 nights
Room booked: Essex Room, King
Room received: Central Park View, King
Elite Level: Ambassador
Rate Type: Corporate
Comments: Asked for a Suite via chat in app when doing mobile check-in. Assigned the Central Park View King on high floor although all categories of suites available when room assigned. Room was nice although it was it was east facing and the park view was partial at best. That said overall stay was good. Room was large by NYC standards and lounge was much better than expected.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BillBurn
Property: JW Essex house, NYC
Date(s): Late March, 2 nights
Room booked: Essex Room, King
Room received: Central Park View, King
Rate Type: Corporate
Comments: Asked for a Suite via chat in app when doing mobile check-in. Assigned the Central Park View King on high floor although all categories of suites available when room assigned. Room was nice although it was it was east facing and the park view was partial at best. That said overall stay was good. Room was large by NYC standards and lounge was much better than expected.
You should have escalated to a manager.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, National EE, NEXUS, Global Entry
Property: Renaissance Fort Lauderdale-Plantation
Date(s): 03/24, 1 night
Room booked: Standard, 2 double
Room received: 1 bedroom suite, 1 king 1 sofa bed
Rate Type: AAA
Comments: Suite is very nice and large but the sofa bed was not setup prior to our arrival (we were 3 people). Asked for the sofa bed to be setup while we went for dinner and housekeeping just delivered a couple sheets and pillows and left everything there for us to make the bed ourselves. Pretty special way of providing service at a FS property. I would have prefered getting no upgrade at all to get a room with 2 beds ready for use, especially since we were only there for one night with a very early flight out of FLL the next morning. Escalated issue with management and was provided with enough points to make me forget the experience. Multiple bulidings are in construction all around the hotel but I was there on a Sunday so nothing going on, it probably gets pretty noisy during the week.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Property: Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park
Date(s): 1 night in March 2019
Room booked: Deluxe room
Room received: Club Deluxe room
Rate Type: N/A
Comments: -
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Honors Diamond, WOH Globalist
Property: Ritz Carlton Los Angeles
Date(s): 2 nights in March 2019
Room booked: Deluxe Queen room, Club level
Room received: Executive Suite, Club level
Award stay: Yes
Rate Type:
Comments: Booked two weekend nights for 60k points each, for party of three. Given option online to upgrade to club level for $100 per night, which I selected. At check-in we were upgraded to a corner Executive suite; it's 1200 sq. feet. Hotel had the right to charge an extra $100 per day for our daughter, but didn't. It was an awesome weekend.
svo242 and krakendown like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:15 am
Suspended

Property: Sheraton Austin Georgetown Hotel & Conference Center, Georgetown, Texas
Date(s): April 1-3
Room booked: King pool view
Room received: 1-bedroom Park View suite with 1 1/2 bathrooms
Rate Type: Regular
Comments: Excellent 2 1/2-year-old Sheraton property. Very good recognition, but club lounge fayre is sadly kind of basic. Will post full review.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Property: Gaylord National Resort & Conference center, Ft Washington, MD
Date(s): 03/31, 3 nights
Room booked: Standard, 2 double
Room received: 1 bedroom suite, separate dining and living room, 1 king 1 sofa bed; direct water view
Elite Level: Gold
Rate Type: negotiated convention rate
Comments: Surprised to get as Gold. Hotel was sold out with 3 conventions - likely few top elites. Very nice suite, great service throughout the hotel. There was a "boil water" alert because of a water main break, so they gave me 4 water bottles daily in the room and unlimited at check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.