Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Will existing "Points Advance" reservations raise in price on March 5th???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will existing "Points Advance" reservations raise in price on March 5th???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by mster
Has anyone called in regarding a points advance reservation made prior to March 5th and successfully had the correct (pre devaluation) number of points withdrawn?
Yes would be great to get some additional data points. I will be calling myself in the next couple of days as both of my 60k/night rez at St. Regis properties are now showing at 85k per night.

According to Resort Travelers Blog, as of March 13, Points Advance bookings made before the category changes went into effect are being honored at the original rate booked. Our best suggestion is to call back and if you are given any push-back, ask them to read KM article 6115. If they still insist they can do nothing, ask to speak to a supervisor.

https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...-reservations/
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Yes would be great to get some additional data points. I will be calling myself in the next couple of days as both of my 60k/night rez at St. Regis properties are now showing at 85k per night.

According to Resort Travelers Blog, as of March 13, Points Advance bookings made before the category changes went into effect are being honored at the original rate booked. Our best suggestion is to call back and if you are given any push-back, ask them to read KM article 6115. If they still insist they can do nothing, ask to speak to a supervisor.

https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...-reservations/
See my post above. Explaining the situation and asking to speak with a CEC agent seemed to be the magic words in my case. They weren't able to deduct the correct amount of points but they were able to deposit the difference in points between the original rate and the new rate into my account and then deduct them at the new rate, which effectively honored the original rate.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CEC agent??
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12
See my post above. Explaining the situation and asking to speak with a CEC agent seemed to be the magic words in my case. They weren't able to deduct the correct amount of points but they were able to deposit the difference in points between the original rate and the new rate into my account and then deduct them at the new rate, which effectively honored the original rate.
I called the usual Marriott Rewards numbers to get a 5-night points advance booking turned into one with a certificate attached. Took 20 mins on the phone and didn’t need a supervisor. The agent wondered why I wanted to sort it out now when it was for Dec 2019! I just said I had the points now so just wanted it settled.

Their solution is as above: they credit your account with the additional points according to new rate (in my case 100,000 deposited then 240,000 of my points taken in additional to the 100,000 taken back for Cat 7 hotel now at Cat. 8.).

I don’t care how they did it but just glad it was hassle-free for a change.

Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reporting back - first agent I reached at MR 801 call center was very nice but after some back and forth told me that she would have to open a case and contact the hotel. I politely requested a supervisor and relayed the information regarding the procedure described by yorkboy24 and sydneyflyer12. The supervisor was able to make the account adjustment and complete the point transaction at 85k/nt and then credit back 25k/nt to my account. She then transferred 100k points to Mrs. B's account and completed the same procedure on a 60k/nt reservation that was now pricing at 85k. ^ 32 minutes for everything but happy to be done.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:39 am

Thanks for the DPs, everyone. Sounds folks aren't having issues redeeming pre-category change points advance reservations.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:25 pm

Very disappointing phone call just now with Bonvoy. We booked a hotel at the 35K rate before the category change using points advance. It is now 50K points. Our 35K free night certificate just hit our account, so I called to have it applied. Marriott refused to apply it, saying that they won't honor the 35K rate we locked in with our points advance reservations if we are using a free night cert. They will only honor the 35K rate with points, and they do that by adding the difference in points between the old rate and the new rate to your account balance. Obviously that does nothing to help us since we only have the free night cert, not 35K points sitting in our account. Just really disheartened--the representative and supervisor were not helpful at all.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:57 pm
formerly smoaky

Originally Posted by mylifeis24
Very disappointing phone call just now with Bonvoy. We booked a hotel at the 35K rate before the category change using points advance. It is now 50K points. Our 35K free night certificate just hit our account, so I called to have it applied. Marriott refused to apply it, saying that they won't honor the 35K rate we locked in with our points advance reservations if we are using a free night cert. They will only honor the 35K rate with points, and they do that by adding the difference in points between the old rate and the new rate to your account balance. Obviously that does nothing to help us since we only have the free night cert, not 35K points sitting in our account. Just really disheartened--the representative and supervisor were not helpful at all.
Are there other data points indicating Marriott won't honor rates as they existed when the points advance booking was made if you are trying to fill it with a FN certificate? I made a 3 night booking with points advance prior to the most recent devaluation. Hotel went from 35k per night to 50k. I only have 40k or so points in my account but will have 3 FN certificates (from 3 Marriott cards) in my account well in advance of the trip this fall. I'd been heartened to see Marriott was honoring the old rates, and assumed I could attach the certificates when they arrived. I already have one.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by smoaky
Are there other data points indicating Marriott won't honor rates as they existed when the points advance booking was made if you are trying to fill it with a FN certificate? I made a 3 night booking with points advance prior to the most recent devaluation. Hotel went from 35k per night to 50k. I only have 40k or so points in my account but will have 3 FN certificates (from 3 Marriott cards) in my account well in advance of the trip this fall. I'd been heartened to see Marriott was honoring the old rates, and assumed I could attach the certificates when they arrived. I already have one.
i have yet to hear about FN certificates being honored for old categories, although it may happen through other means.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:34 am
formerly smoaky

Originally Posted by myperks

i have yet to hear about FN certificates being honored for old categories, although it may happen through other means.
Dang. Had planned a nice trip over a holiday weekend with my partner. Don't want to break the bad news...

I'll still give them a call when I have all the certs. I don't get why points would work but not a cert, outside of the jury-rigged method they seem to use of adding points on top of points to make the system accept it.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:49 am

This has definitely been the case since at least the merger. I tried to use a certificate last summer when it arrived, and I wasn't able to apply it. I thought it was a huca situation, but each agent said no. I thought it was just a situation with untrained staff, but I eventually got through to an old timer who was awesome but confirmed that it was not possible due to points being refunded to reach the old rate. I understand the rationale, but just am surprised.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
This has been discussed/confirmed several times on FT but seems you aren’t the only one who missed it. I’m afraid you’re out of luck. Sorry
Old May 4, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by myperks

I’m in a similar situation waiting for a cert to post. BUT, I did lock the old rate with points. Prior to the merger it was possible to switch out points with cert even when the rate have increased since locking in the reservation with points. I’ll report back in couple of months when the cert post.

I suspect this will become much bigger problem when they will move to the varied pricing for each category.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:29 am

No issues here getting points advance reservations booked pre-deval honored.

I'd suggest reaching out via Twitter or E-mail. Reaching out via phone is time consuming since most agents will need to involve someone else to assist.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mster
No issues here getting points advance reservations booked pre-deval honored.

I'd suggest reaching out via Twitter or E-mail. Reaching out via phone is time consuming since most agents will need to involve someone else to assist.
The problem is getting PA reservations honoured when paying with a free night cert, not points. That does not seem possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.