Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Will existing "Points Advance" reservations raise in price on March 5th???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will existing "Points Advance" reservations raise in price on March 5th???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:34 pm

It’s Marriott’s fault that they have allowed speculative awards to occur to the extent that they have. Reviewing the T&Cs of points advancing though, there is a bit of a gem there

3.6.a. If a purchase of Points is not an option, or if a Member does not have sufficient Points to pay for an Award Redemption with Points fourteen (14) days or less from Member’s arrival date, Member will forfeit the Award Redemption part of the reservation. The Award Redemption may be canceled by the Loyalty Program or the Participating Property and the reservation will be converted to a cash reservation at the best available rate.
If someone forgets to cancel a speculative award before the cancellation date and they end up not paying with points 14 days before the stay, instead of cancelling the reservation they can just charge the customer for it. I know the cash rate for my Al Maha reservation is over 10k for 5 nights and I’m sure most points advance reservations are for high dollar hotels. The inclusion of these terms suggest that an award reservation should also be treated no differently than a cash reservation.
milehighflyer88 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:35 pm

Yep. And if it is converted to cash and not cancelled you're on the hook for the cancellation conditions.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
I agree with this--acceptance of the booking constitutes a contract (e.g., I am bound to pay # dollars if I don't cancel in time).
Are you bound to pay? You can cancel at any time. Once you pay then it is a contract, before that it is a reservation.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Marriott specifically states in the Marriott Rewards T&Cs that they can change any aspect of the Marriott Rewards loyalty program at anytime with or without notice. If you are a member of the Marriott Rewards loyalty program, you accepted those T&Cs. Enough said!

James
Marriott can say whatever they want and do whatever they want, but if what they do via the T&Cs is against applicable laws/regulations in the jurisdiction of relevance for the consumer and there happens to be a Marriott nexus in that jurisdiction, then Marriott -- just as with any mafia engaged in actions of doubtful legality -- can be taken to task in a court of law or via other legal/regulatory bodies of relevance and find itself again learning that Marriott T&Cs are not a universal immunity clause for Marriott.
sydneyflyer12 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Marriott can say whatever they want and do whatever they want, but if what they do via the T&Cs is against applicable laws/regulations in the jurisdiction of relevance for the consumer and there happens to be a Marriott nexus in that jurisdiction, then Marriott -- just as with any mafia engaged in actions of doubtful legality -- can be taken to task in a court of law or via other legal/regulatory bodies of relevance and find itself again learning that Marriott T&Cs are not a universal immunity clause for Marriott.
Please provide the source for your statement that Marriott could "find itself again learning that Marriott T&Cs are not a universal immunity clause for Marriott". Has Marriott faced such in the past and lost or changed course? I'm interested....
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by controller1
Please provide the source for your statement that Marriott could "find itself again learning that Marriott T&Cs are not a universal immunity clause for Marriott". Has Marriott faced such in the past and lost or changed course? I'm interested....
If you believe that Marriott thinks its T&Cs are a universal immunity clause, then go ahead believing what you wish as I'm not saying more on that than the following: Marriott's lawyers have known better.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
If you believe that Marriott thinks its T&Cs are a universal immunity clause, then go ahead believing what you wish as I'm not saying more on that than the following: Marriott's lawyers have known better.
I have not said such. You did specifically state that Marriott would once again learn.... I'm really interested in what were the circumstances in this previous case(s) that you discuss but do not cite.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:06 pm
Suspended

I have not said such. You did specifically state that Marriott would once again learn.... I'm really interested in what were the circumstances in this previous case(s) that you discuss but do not cite.
You're free to be as interested in whatever it is that interests you, and I'm free to say that I stand by my words as posted earlier in this thread.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:08 pm

You're free to be as interested in whatever it is that interests you, and I'm free to say that I stand by my words as posted earlier in this thread.
I agree that you are free to say that you stand by your words.

It's unfortunate you are unable to support such in the same manner.

Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:16 pm
Suspended

I agree that you are free to say that you stand by your words.

It's unfortunate you are unable to support such in the same manner.
I am able to support my own earlier words by which I stand. I am just not willing to play the game that doesn't suit my interests.

Thanks for understanding your misunderstanding.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:39 pm

From Marriott Rewards Insiders forum:

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/message/277458

" We saw your thread, "Points Advance Rate Change," and reached out to our team on your behalf. They have let us know that in 2018, Marriott announced that a new category eight level would be coming early in 2019 along with the addition of peak and off-peak seasons, which will be released later in the year. The new category eight level will be introduced in March 2019 along with our annual review of hotel categories; however, for now, these properties are placed in category seven and available for redemption at the lower category seven rate. We encourage you to book your reservation as soon as possible before category eight becomes active. As with all category changes, we are happy to honor the lower category rate though any significant changes to an existing reservation after the change will result in the higher rate being required."
Lobonomnom likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:46 pm

From Marriott Rewards Insiders forum:

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/message/277458

"We encourage you to book your reservation as soon as possible before category eight becomes active. As with all category changes, we are happy to honor the lower category rate though any significant changes to an existing reservation after the change will result in the higher rate being required."
looks like we may be able to keep our points advance reservations at the current rate? I assume a “significant change” would be changing dates or length of stay?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:59 pm

Yes, that would correspond with the previous T&C.

Edit: Although this does not say anything about Point Advance.
sydneyflyer12 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:15 pm

Yes, that would correspond with the previous T&C.

Edit: Although this does not say anything about Point Advance.
With all the chatter about it on here, reddit, MI, and the blogs, I hope Marriott releases a statement to clarify everything. The original statement pointed out by TPG as well as this statement are not very clear
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:19 pm

Where is this change to the T&C on the Marriott website? I can't find it from an official source.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.