Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Will existing "Points Advance" reservations raise in price on March 5th???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will existing "Points Advance" reservations raise in price on March 5th???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:05 pm

You can book in advance for a cash booking without paying. How are points any different?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
Originally Posted by myperks
Bonvoy should just get rid of points advance come Feb 13th but honor all previously made points advance terms as is.
Might be something that happens. I don't really know what is right. I can see both sides... Complex for Marriott. One would have thought someone there could have seen this coming. They need some brighter people.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milehighflyer88
.........If they want to stop speculative bookings, add a redeposit fee like airlines do.
That's where the problem is. There is no redeposit as points are not deducted for PA reservations.

I hope your Class Action attorney can sort this out.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by kalo93406
Honestly I don't think this is completely unreasonable of Marriott.
For the past six months, Marriott has sent out multiple emails where they themselves have mentioned booking rooms at the current rates. Marriott has actually advertised locking in rates before the changes go into effect so it’s not like we have gamed the system by prebooking rooms. They have also been able to monitor data from points advance bookings to see if it has been abused and if they noticed it was, it wouldn’t be unreasonable for them to terminate it any time without notice. It is unreasonable for them to change the T&C of the points advance program or the agreed upon rate at time of booking. This would be like an airline legitimately advertising a fare, allowing customers to book all their other travel arrangements for the next few months, the airline then changes their mind on the price then tells the customers they actually have to pay a price a thousand dollars more or have their reservation cancelled.
OssianBlue and sydneyflyer12 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
You can book in advance for a cash booking without paying. How are points any different?
Points aren't really any different, but Points Advance is surely different in that it is a like a loan (unlimited?) and a benefit to everyone. If it goes away because people are expecting unreasonable things we all lose. I think it is unreasonable that I could manipulate the system and book hundreds of rooms using borrowed points. Marriott should have more well defined terms though.
TerryK and controller1 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:33 pm

It's EXACTLY the same as a cash booking that is paid upon arrival to a hotel. There is no "loan" aspect of it.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:40 pm

It's EXACTLY the same as a cash booking that is paid upon arrival to a hotel. There is no "loan" aspect of it.
Ok then.. If there is no Points Advance program in the future, one can just book rooms with Cash.. Maybe they will start a new program that allows you to convert that cash reservation in to a points reservation. Maybe...

Edit: Actually, maybe this can be done? Honestly I'm not sure about all of this. I'm a 1st year of any status Tit! Not enough experience maybe..
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:41 pm

It never fails to amaze me how some people support the worst corporate behavior.
sydneyflyer12 and yoyotogblo like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:48 pm

I have a non-speculative points advance reservation for 5 nights at Al Maha the week of thanksgiving. Cash rates are currently $2200/night. Marriott has advertised for months that I could “lock in” a Cat 7 rate by booking before the rates change. I agreed with Marriott through the booking process that I would pay 240k points 14 days or more before check in. I knew that I already had half a million MR and UR so if something happened and I was unable to accrue 240k MR, I could make the transfer a few weeks before the stay for the remaining points as a back up plan. Then a couple months after booking and 10 months before my stay, I’m told by Marriott that they’ve changed the terms that we agreed upon and I have 4 weeks to come up with the total amount due or they would charge me 100k more points for my stay.

I’m left with 3 options:
1) cancel my reservation
2) transfer 240k MR or UR to book the stay
3) allow Marriott to breach our booking agreement and charge me 100k more points for a reservation I’ve already made

For those that think Marriott is not being unreasonable, please let me know how Marriott is not being unreasonable. I played by the rules and T&C they set, I didn’t make 50+ speculative award bookings, I have had the full intent of carrying out my stay and all of my other travel arrangements are confirmed and paid for.
sydneyflyer12 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:53 pm

I have a booking at the St. Regis NYC in June. I need 50K points which would be easy to acquire by then. In fact if would have been easy to acquire BY NOW if I'd gotten even a couple of months warning. Instead I get about two weeks of spend on one card and four days on another before my Feb statements cut and my point totals as of 3/5 are basically fixed.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Lobonomnom
For those that think Marriott is not being unreasonable, please let me know how Marriott is not being unreasonable. I played by the rules and T&C they set, I didn’t make 50+ speculative award bookings, I have had the full intent of carrying out my stay and all of my other travel arrangements are confirmed and paid for.

Definetely is unresonable. I hope you and other people are not screwed over by this. In your case seems like it's no problem. They should have developed better terms or limited Points Advance room bookings in some way. On the other hand some people could really tax the system with many Points Advance bookings. Hope they can resolve this in a reasonable way. Enough from me. My head hurts..

Last edited by kalo93406; Feb 9, 2019 at 1:06 pm
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:17 pm

It never fails to amaze me how some people support the worst corporate behavior.
It's also interesting that some folks think that only consumers benefit from PA reservations and that Marriott is doing us a favor by having PA reservations. Marriott is obviously benefiting from PA, otherwise they wouldn't do it. After all, people still have to get the points they need which means buying the points, transferring the points from cc or partners (same as buying except it's CC company or partners doing the buying), or staying at Marriott. Having PA means people change their behavior and increase their Marriott activities to get the points they need; all of which benefits Marriott. If there was no PA reservations people would probably behave differently in terms of their hotel bookings.
Happy, booatx, JustinTJ and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
It did happen with the August changes though. You had to call in, and they would literally deposit the difference in points into your account to then order the new certificate. You could cancel the reservation to get the "free" points back, which is probably part of why this new policy is in place.
Did you receive the "free" points?

My recollection has been, in the past when the point advance bookings have gone up in category, you called and the CS deposited pts to your account and then ordered the certs. HOWEVER, when you canceled the bookings, you did NOT get the windfall points - the system returned the EXACT pts that paid from your existing balance, NOT incl the difference manually deposited. Been done this in the past years a few times - not a single time I received any "windfall".

Unless you actually have received such extra, I would say it would be just in your conjecture - the system does not work the way you described, at least not in the past. Point advance or TP cert booking without attaching certs and hotel category goes up are not something new or invented - it has always been fine by the mechanism you described, but at cancellation, the system is smart enough to only refund what is rightfully yours. No windfall.
sydneyflyer12 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Happy
Did you receive the "free" points?

My recollection has been, in the past when the point advance bookings have gone up in category, you called and the CS deposited pts to your account and then ordered the certs. HOWEVER, when you canceled the bookings, you did NOT get the windfall points - the system returned the EXACT pts that paid from your existing balance, NOT incl the difference manually deposited. Been done this in the past years a few times - not a single time I received any "windfall".

Unless you actually have received such extra, I would say it would be just in your conjecture - the system does not work the way you described, at least not in the past. Point advance or TP cert booking without attaching certs and hotel category goes up are not something new or invented - it has always been fine by the mechanism you described, but at cancellation, the system is smart enough to only refund what is rightfully yours. No windfall.
Obviously I got the extra points back or I wouldn't have stated with certainty as to how the system works in my post.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Obviously I got the extra points back or I wouldn't have stated with certainty as to how the system works in my post.
So the IT MESS from the merger worked in your favor. That is at least someone not being screwed by the mess. Good to know.
nexusCFX likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.