Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Will existing "Points Advance" reservations raise in price on March 5th???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will existing "Points Advance" reservations raise in price on March 5th???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:11 pm
formerly smoaky

So much for my vacation

I have been planning to book a current cat 5 for this fall using points advance. I will have FN certs for all 3 nights, but won't have them attached to my account until this summer. As always, I would have been able to attach to the reservation then. The hotel is moving to cat 6 on March 5, which in the past still wouldn't have been the end of the world as long as I didn't switch my dates -- the rate was still locked in. However this language suggests my FN certs will be useless DESPITE locking in the current rate using points advance. Marriott you've lost a customer. I'm cancelling my cards, which I normally out a lot of spend on. You've screwed us in every possible way this time around.

I do await further clarification from TPG or someone else official from Marriott, but given recent developments one can only assume the worst. No reason to think otherwise.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
So the IT MESS from the merger worked in your favor. That is at least someone not being screwed by the mess. Good to know.
I’m sure there will be additional speculative bookings after this hoping to be in favor again
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by kalo93406
Might be something that happens. I don't really know what is right. I can see both sides... Complex for Marriott. One would have thought someone there could have seen this coming. They need some brighter people.
Because there is a premium you pay in the rate for having the flexibility to cancel. There is no premium in the rate for the advance purchase. It is basically a free option as the awards are flexible and can be cancelled.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by FrustratedinCA
If this really is true, it's the last straw for me, and my husband and I will be taking our business to Hyatt and Hilton. We have reservations for a big anniversary trip--one we've been saving points up for years (loads of business travel)--and we won't have the points by March 5th, but we would have points well before the 14 days in advance (the original terms under which we made the reservation).
Do Hyatt and Hilton have an advance points purchase scheme with better terms and a guarantee that there are no changes? SPG had no such scheme you either had the points or bought them at the time of booking.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by milehighflyer88
If this is implemented I will cancel all my Marriott/SPG/Bonvoy cards. I will use all of my stash of points and move my business to Hilton and Hyatt. This is the last straw. We are starting to see the negative effects of mergers. Less competition and less incentive to reward loyal customers.

Also, Marriott would be in breach of their policy that award stays should have the same benefits as paid stays. If I book a paid stay, and the hotel raises its prices, they won't get to raise my price too....I'm sure many people like me made many speculative reservations anticipating the increase in awards. If Marriott didn't want that to happen, they should not have implemented points advance. They will have a class action if they don't honor the original rates.
Dont thing booking an advance points reservation amounts to a contract as there is no payment made. If they made these bookings non cancellable and guaranteed with a credit card that you buy the points if at 14 days out you dont have the points in your account then you would perhaps have a case. In fact I dont know why they just dont do that to stop the speculative reservations.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:33 pm
Suspended

I'm not one to support corporations, in fact, I almost never do. I hammer them relentlessly.

But, in this case, Marriott is completely justified to increase the award rates on points advance reservations. That is a tool that Marriott doesn't have to offer, I don't know any other programs that offer the same. You need the points/miles at the time to make the booking.

If Marriott is raising point rates, why should they allow people to game the system by speculatively making a bunch of Cat 7 bookings (when they don't even have the points) during the days leading up to the point raise? The entitlement is getting a bit out of control here.
booatx and JustinTJ like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by kapooncha
I'm not one to support corporations, in fact, I almost never do. I hammer them relentlessly.

But, in this case, Marriott is completely justified to increase the award rates on points advance reservations. That is a tool that Marriott doesn't have to offer, I don't know any other programs that offer the same. You need the points/miles at the time to make the booking.

If Marriott is raising point rates, why should they allow people to game the system by speculatively making a bunch of Cat 7 bookings (when they don't even have the points) during the days leading up to the point raise? The entitlement is getting a bit out of control here.
1) Marriott has decades of precedents of advertising upcoming points increases and telling people to book early-with or without points to save points.
2) They did that this time too. For months, they've been saying to book before the change-and advertised that you could wait to earn the points. Now, two weeks before the change they are pulling the rug out.
3) Its the same as cash. If I book today, I don't pay until the stay-and I pay at today's rate. If its more later, I don't pay the prevailing rate. I pay the agreed rate at time of booking.
4) It's not entitlement. It's playing by Marriott rules-that they promoted.

If Marriott wants to cease this practice, I am sure there will be terrible backlash as people like this feature. HOWEVER, I think they have some legal problems doing so with existing reservations.
Twickenham and sydneyflyer12 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
3) Its the same as cash. If I book today, I don't pay until the stay-and I pay at today's rate. If its more later, I don't pay the prevailing rate. I pay the agreed rate at time of booking.
Customers own their cash, they don't own points. Points belong to Marriott.
booatx likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Customers own their cash, they don't own points. Points belong to Marriott.
That doesn't have bearing on my statement. If I make the reservation, I am obligated to have the required points agreed at time of reservation two weeks prior to check in. That's Marriott policy.
sydneyflyer12 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:07 pm
Suspended

That doesn't have bearing on my statement. If I make the reservation, I am obligated to have the required points agreed at time of reservation two weeks prior to check in. That's Marriott policy.
You missed my point. Marriott owns the points and they can do whatever they want with them, whenever they want. They can confiscate them if they want. Read the terms of the program.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I still miss Starwood.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:23 am

Is it actually Marriott policy? I can see in the policy that you can make a reservation and pay for it 14 days in advance, but I see nothing related to guaranteeing the points required when you booked the room. Yes, Marriott has allowed that in the past, but that doesn't mean it's a policy, just a practice.

Yes, it sucks, but I don't see anything in writing. Of course I could be missing it from all the pages, so please correct me if it's there!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Marriott specifically states in the Marriott Rewards T&Cs that they can change any aspect of the Marriott Rewards loyalty program at anytime with or without notice. If you are a member of the Marriott Rewards loyalty program, you accepted those T&Cs. Enough said!

James
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Marriott specifically states in the Marriott Rewards T&Cs that they can change any aspect of the T&Cs at anytime with or without notice. If you are a member of the Marriott Rewards loyalty program, you accepted those T&Cs. Enough said!

James
Bingo!
atojbk likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:12 am

Bingo!
Sure they do. Doesn't make it right nor does it make Customer Friendly. Let's be clear after the data breach they should be doing EVERYTHING they can do earn consumer's trust again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.