Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What hotels do you usually find better then .006 Cents/Point value

Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:18 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT

Has anyone made a list of properties where its easy to get better then 6 cent value. I just searched probably 50 hotels, for 20 stays over the next few months that I am planning on going to. Of those, I was able to find a better daily rate compared with the value of (Point Category Value) X 0.06 I know an easy way to get value is for 5 night or 10 night stays, but unfortunately for the next 20 stays for me, my longest stay needed will be a 4 nighter, except next Christmas, where I will be booking for a week. Anyone have a list of "good value" Marriott point hotels.

For example
Category 4 (25,000 X 0.06) = $150
Category 5 (35,000 X 0.06) = 210
Category 6 (50,000 X 0.06) = $300

My budget for a hotel is usually in the $90 - 200 range for a 4 Star Hotel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 Star List of Value Points Locations
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Midweek hotels
Cleveland Airport Aloft
Hawaii - sometimes. More at the Category 6 ($300 per night) more then I like to spend per night for 4 star
Courtyard Oakland
Carlsbad NM
Phoenix Most Hotels during spring high season
Courtyard Livermore

Last edited by smilee; Feb 8, 2019 at 5:14 pm Reason: list
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
8 of the 11 bookings I made last week were above .07, my current threshold.

Given the variability of rates over time, I'm not sure a "list" would be useful. Most of those I booked were for college football weekends - I'm sure it's lower other times.
adunker likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Hell, I have reservations at a hotel where is straight up cheaper to buy the points from Marriott at .0125 than pay the room rate(Cleveland Airport Aloft). Probably why it is moving up a category.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
There are several Cat 5 hotels in HI (Oahu, Maui, etc...) that I make VERY good use of my points with. For example, at one hotel, it was $500 something/almost $600 per night for a Cat 5...it will be going up in Mar though...no surprise there.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I have a reservation for two nights in March in Carlsbad NM. Apparently, Carlsbad is going through some sort of oil boom, so nightly rates are ridiculously high at both the Hampton and the Fairfield properties.

Hilton points are also very ridiculously high (50,000 a night for a Hampton). But Marriott points are by category. So, 17,500 a night at the Fairfield Inn (35K for 2 nights).

The standard member rate for 2 nights with tax comes out to $913.89; yes, this hotel is over $400 a night, every night.

I am getting a redemption of $0.026 per point (or over 2.5 cents per point).

It is a unique example, but this is an example when pricing points by category instead of by cost per night give you a better redemption using Marriott vs Hilton.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:20 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Quite a few...

For example: Courtyard Oakland Downtown 25k vs $430 midweek in April; Courtyard Livermore 12.5k vs $284 midweek; Springhill Suites PHX 17.5k vs $225; and on and on. Those are the ones I'm using next trip.

Most SF Bay Area properties midweek; Most PHX area winter (especially during Spring training.) Many others though you need to spend the time to find them.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:17 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Thank you everyone. I guess it was my vacation planning and timing which is off. So quick summary so far, midweek locations in the US, and of course high season when rates are double, but the points is the same (or just a slight increase come March with new Peak/Standard/Off Peak)

I was originally booking 4 star hotels in Canada, Mexico, Thailand, Malaysia and Germany
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Well, until they raise the category in Mar (the list just came out for the category changes for 2019) along w/ the new Cat 8 and peak/standard/off peak pricing. Fun times... So if any of your properties are going up, book before Mar 5th!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
I pretty much only use Marriott points to transfer to airlines for flights. There are exceptions, high tax location for 5th night free. I just make sure to only transfer in 60K
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I recently got around 1c for the Royal Orchid Sheraton in Bangkok. In the old SPG era I received the equivalent of 2c per point booking the Le Meridien Phuket over peak season.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I generally won’t redeem for less than $.025 for old SPG points (so over .008 for new MR ones). Most of my redemptions have been at soon-to-be Cat 8s, where the value has been over 1 cent a point. I just redeemed a soon-to-expire 25K cert, though, at the Renaissance In downtown Phoenix, where rates were in the $300 range.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I wouldn't share my list of sweet spots, because if a property becomes too popular, it will go up in category or availability will become scarce
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
So far I am finding it impossible to use Marriott Points, Yes I can find a courtyard or something like that but for the higher end hotels it seems impossible. Premerger with SPG using points was pretty simple, find a hotel look at the price decide whether to use cash or points. Unsure if it is due to the amount of members or was Marriott always harder on redemptions and hotels with lots of exceptions. But at this point I am starting to think Marriott points are useless and use my HH amex more put away my Marriott cards. With 200 + nights a year in a hotel I am not looking for a courtyard.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I wouldn't share my list of sweet spots, because if a property becomes too popular, it will go up in category or availability will become scarce
Yes, I'm sure your personal list of favorite properties will cause drastic changes to the market forces driving hotel demand around the world...

Originally Posted by troyintn
So far I am finding it impossible to use Marriott Points, Yes I can find a courtyard or something like that but for the higher end hotels it seems impossible. Premerger with SPG using points was pretty simple, find a hotel look at the price decide whether to use cash or points. Unsure if it is due to the amount of members or was Marriott always harder on redemptions and hotels with lots of exceptions. But at this point I am starting to think Marriott points are useless and use my HH amex more put away my Marriott cards. With 200 + nights a year in a hotel I am not looking for a courtyard.
I'll gladly take your useless points - feel free to transfer them to me.

I'm curious where you're booking. I just tried the following, for peak travel periods:

Barcelona - 17 of 17 with standard awards available
Maui - 9 of 9 with standard awards available
New York - 37 of 39 on the initial results page with standard awards available
Rome - 12 of 12 with standard awards available
Sydney - 7 of 7 with standard awards available

That's 98.3% availability

I checked the same week for Hilton - 80% standard awards available. And only 3 options in Barca, 6 in Rome and 2 in Sydney. Fewer options, and fewer awards available among those options.

Last edited by CPRich; Feb 9, 2019 at 4:17 pm
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:59 pm

The title of this thread is very misleading. It should read 6 cents/point value, not .006 cents/point value. A value of 6 thousands of one cent per point is truly horrible, and we don't want to give Marriott any ideas...

Right now, every Marriott hotel has a value better than .006 cents/point.
MrM2016 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.