Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Residence Inn Myrtle Beach Oceanfront - SC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Haven't really seen a RI hi-rise outside of major metro cities. Opening Feb '19. Cat 5 Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...ch-oceanfront/

"Our hotel offers a perfect blend of business and leisure amenities, exceptional customer service, and a prime oceanfront location along the popular south end of Myrtle Beach! Nearby you will find Family Kingdom Amusement Park, Barefoot Landing, Coastal Grand Mall and Broadway at the Beach, where you can enjoy shopping and dining."

svo242 likes this.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Apr 13, 2019 at 3:14 pm
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Residence inn Myrtle Beach Oceanfront - destination fee added after booking

Just saw a note on my booking:
  • Please note – USD 15 daily destination amenity fee will be added to room rate-incl bike and locker rental/concierge/parking and more.
and on the bottom:
Changes in taxes or fees implemented after booking will affect the total room price.

Besides the fact that it sucks for this fee to be foisted on me, I also received no notification about this. If I had not logged in to check reservation this would have been a surprise at checkout...

Another Bonvoyed....

P.S. when I booked this hotel (using TP) it was not opened yet, but why is it my problem???

P.P.S I specifically booked this property vs Grande Dunes Resort to avoid the resort fee..
strickerj and KRSW like this.

Last edited by dsauch; Apr 15, 2019 at 8:54 pm
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Of course taxes and genuine government imposed fees (that the hotel collects as an agent for the state or olocal government) can change after the reservation has been made, but AFAIK (IANAL) no hotel has the right to impose a mandatory resort destination fee after a reservation has been confirmed.

Please fight this and do a credit card chargeback if possible.
strickerj and KRSW like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:19 am
Original Poster

First things first - did you keep an email confirmation when you booked? Was resort fee in the email confirmation? If not, fight the fee.

Call the hotel. Point out that there was no resort fee when you booked & you have written documentation. Tell them you expect them to waive the fee. They should do the notorious 1-time exception for you. Push hard back if they argue w/ you. Tell them (only if they won't give) that you're willing to push this up the AG ladder, in addition to CC company.

Cheers.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
BTW, what is this locker rental and do RIs in the USA really have concierges?

It might be interesting if your could report back on the qualifications and abilities of this magical RI dedicated professional concierge. Also, since you're paying a fee for the concierge service, absolutely do not tip regardless of what said concierge might arrange for you.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW, what is this locker rental and do RIs in the USA really have concierges?

It might be interesting if your could report back on the qualifications and abilities of this magical RI dedicated professional concierge. Also, since you're paying a fee for the concierge service, absolutely do not tip regardless of what said concierge might arrange for you.
Where did you find what was included in the resort fee? Was there more than that?

Cheers.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
I have two upcoming reservations at this property, one using a cert and one using a AAA rate and after checking both online they now have this notation...

"Please note – USD 15 daily destination amenity fee will be added to room rate-incl bike and locker rental/concierge/parking and more." has been added to both of them.

I checked my confirmation emails and neither has the fee on there and the total in the emails is $15 lower.

I called the hotel and asked to speak with a manager. I got voicemail, but will be following up again later today if I don't hear back from them.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:32 am

I have two email confirmations, neither of them mention taxes or fees as numbers:
Sunday, August , 2019 -
Monday, August , 2019 - 25,000points
Tuesday, August , 2019 - 25,000points
Wednesday, August , 2019 - 25,000points
Thursday, August , 2019 - 25,000points
Friday, August , 2019 - 25,000points
Saturday, August , 2019 - 25,000points

Estimated government taxes and fees - Included
------------------------------

Second email from January:

Sunday, August xx, 2019 – Sunday, August xx, 2019

7 Nights
Redemption

Taxes & Fees (per night per room)
Estimated Government Taxes & Fees Included
Total for stay in hotel's currency - Taxes and fees

Complimentary on-site parking
--------------

So based on above, considering the "taxes & fees" are included, I shouldn't even be charged the damn tax...
  • Destination Amenity Fee
  • Estimated government taxes and fees

Last edited by dsauch; Apr 16, 2019 at 8:55 am
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:14 pm

I've called the hotel and the gist of their reply was: "This is something Marriott making us do. We dont have any hand in this. Marriott is sending emails to guests who were affected so the guests are aware in advance. Would you like me to transfer you to them?"

Since it was of no point to continue that conversation I had her transfer me to main reservations. After a quick 2min hold I got a pleasant agent and learned that:

a) The fee is not showing up in one of the views she is looking at (if I understood her correctly), but it is standard fee for "resorts", even though this hotel is not marked as resort.
b) They have ability to review the call (since the reservation was made on the phone to use TP)
c) When they review the call they can see what messages were "flashing" on the screen and if the person making the reservation made me aware of the fee
d) If the "flash" notification was there and was not announced - the department of that "person" will be billed
e) If the flash was not there and fee was added later - the hotel will be billed

I received a case number that should be reviewed/resolved in 5-7 business days. Holding my breath....
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
I just got a call from the General Manager Nancy Lee and she couldn't have been more apologetic and helpful. She explained that when they added the fee into the system for all future reservations the fee was incorrectly added to preexisting reservations. She said she had her staff go through and remove the fee from the affected reservations, but some were obviously missed. She also said she has instructed the staff to remove the fee from anyone that calls in with the same problem. Finally, she then personally went in and noted on both of my reservations that I was not to be charged the fee.

dsauch, I told the GM about FlyerTalk and that I wasn't alone, and she said to call in and they'll take care of it. If the FD gives you any push back just asked to be transferred to Nancy Lee and leave a voicemail if she doesn't pick up, she will call you back.
MSPeconomist and KRSW like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Glad to hear it worked out!

Cheers.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:19 pm

Thank you for the information AndWhatsYourPoint.
I tried again, Nancy was not available and I got Tiffany(?). My mistake was not insisting then on leaving the voicemail... Got the same spiel about "its marriott fault and they are now sending emails to let everyone know"... Going to give it one more try another day.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:28 pm

So I tried the hotel again and left a message for Nancy. Received a call-back voicemail from the other manager who gave me the run-around twice already - Tiffany.
I just have no luck with this.
AndWhatsYourPoint - when is your first stay? I am curious if what was promised to you will materialize.
Of course no updates from Bonvoy on their case number
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:45 am

Hopefully final update - after calling corporate about my earlier opened case I was told it will be flagged as no one has looked at it yet.
A day later I received an email from one of the corp reps denying me any satisfaction. I pushed back and in the second email, after calling the hotel, the corporate rep said my reservation was noted and will not be charged the fee. He also advised to save this case/email in case fee was charged.
So we will see how it goes.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:42 pm

After checking in - no mention of platinum gift. Only realized it couple hours after check in. Returned later in evening to front desk and was told by on duty supervisor that I HAD to bring it up to the person who was checkiing me in immediately and it's just my word that I was not offered anything as the system supposedly says I asked for points.. it will be "escalated" to morning manager. I am not holding my breath...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.