Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancellation -- Now 72 hrs?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Cancellation -- Now 72 hrs?

Since when did the cancellation window go from 48 hrs to 72 hrs?

It's amazing how quickly the cancellation policy has become very consumer un-friendly:
2015 - changed from day-of to 24 hrs
2017 - changed from 24 hrs to 48 hrs
2019(?) -- 72 hrs cancellations.

At this rate they might as well just flag all of the rates as pre-paid, non-refundable and call it done.

Perhaps your leisure travelers won't have a problem with this, but when traveling for business, a lot can happen in 3 days.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by KRSW

It's amazing how quickly the cancellation policy has become very consumer un-friendly:

At this rate they might as well just flag all of the rates as pre-paid, non-refundable and call it done.

Perhaps your leisure travelers won't have a problem with this, but when traveling for business, a lot can happen in 3 days.
It would help if you identified the location. For example, Hawaii has been 72 hrs for years.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is not a uniform number. It depends on the locations and individual hotels, during specific periods the hotels choose to set cancellation deadline.

I saw a 7 days cancellation for Marriott SkyCity in Hong Kong for any day in October even in the 2nd half when the first week of National Holidays are long gone and there are No events or conferences can be found on the calendars for either the Asian Expo (across street) and the Convention and Exhibition Center (far out in Wan Chai i.e. in the City an hour MTR ride away). Yet everyday in Sept the cancellation is 1 day before arrival.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:57 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Unfortunately you do need to really read the small print on "flexible" bookings nowadays. It's extremely un-customer friendly. I've been lucky so far, but have had a few lucky near misses.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl
It would help if you identified the location. For example, Hawaii has been 72 hrs for years.
While its true some properties have had lengthy cancellation policies, I think the OP's point that the general trend is for the timeline to creep up for leisure travel is equally true.

My thoughts to the OP the hotels (and possibly corporate wide) will continue to expand as long as the economy is doing well and they are seeing no ill effects from this policy change. As soon as occupancy rates dip you will probably also see the cancellation policy ease a bit but I don't think we'll ever see a wholesale change to 6pm day of arrival again (or something equally as generous).

Maybe they'll add an elite benefit like Hyatt that if the hotel policy is 48 hours, Titanium's get 24 hour cancellation (or something like that).
AceReport likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Since June 15, 2017. New Cancellation Policy Welcome to the party.

FWIW, I find most properties do not follow this 19 month old policy but instead a number of properties have a cancellation policy of 1 or 2 days before arrival.​​ In the case of my existing reservations, none have a 3 day before arrival cancellation policy.​​​​​ Of my upcoming reservations, 5 in Europe, 1 in the ME, 7 in Asia, and 3 in Australia all have cancellation policies of 1 day before arrival. Even 1 of my US reservations has 1 day before arrival cancellation policy and 3 others have 2 days before arrival. I'm sure there are properties following these 19 month old 3-day cancellation policy guidelines, but I guess I've just been very lucky in that the properties I frequent don't.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

I've spent a decent portion of the day researching rooms in multiple US cities and every property so far today is showing 3 days' notice. From Florida to NYC to Bumble-somewhere Pennsylvania, all of them are showing 3 days.
@neo_781's captured what I'm seeing -- Perhaps the policy has been in place for some time, BUT I've never encountered it before and certainly not every single property I search having it.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I've spent a decent portion of the day researching rooms in multiple US cities and every property so far today is showing 3 days' notice. From Florida to NYC to Bumble-somewhere Pennsylvania, all of them are showing 3 days.
@neo_781's captured what I'm seeing -- Perhaps the policy has been in place for some time, BUT I've never encountered it before and certainly not every single property I search having it.
Check resorts and most are 7 days now.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I must admit my Domestic US sampling is limited to FFI and CY during my 2 cross country trips between DC and Vail, so no major US city hotels this year. International props include MR, Ren, JW, Autograph Coll, and LC. I do plan on hitting San Francisco next year for a few day and when I was doing research I notice properties with 3 day cancellation policies, but those aren't booked yet so didn't include them in my previous post. It is what it is, and I'll just plan accordingly.

As far as your comment about making all rates advanced purchase, non-refundable rates, I don't think that is a good idea and I realize your were probably just venting. For 1, 2, or 3 day Cancellation policies generally one is only charged 1 night penalty, so that isn't quite as bad as booking a 4-night advanced purchase stay that is non-refundable in the unlikely event one does need to cancel.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As others note:
1. Economy on screech.
2. The policy is apparently not hurting business.

In addition, many large corporate contracts waive the policy and substitute either 24 hours or sometimes 4 or 6 PM local day of arrival. It's the one-off customer or smaller business which is paying this.

To be fair, if you are looking for a room and see a property as sold out, you move on. This policy will cause people to book once they know what they need and will leave last minute high-rate rooms available for people who want to book and use them. Not really different than most typical US domestic penalty air fares.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Unfortunately you do need to really read the small print on "flexible" bookings nowadays. It's extremely un-customer friendly. I've been lucky so far, but have had a few lucky near misses.

YES! The other day-looking at StR Maldives--non refundable allowed changes and cancelations in 24 hours-that's normal. Then click "standard rate" tab. Costs higher of course. They allowed cancelation until February 4th. I was looking on Feb 3rd. (For a stay in August.) Not exactly what you are saying, but these were no different than nonrefundable.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
As far as your comment about making all rates advanced purchase, non-refundable rates, I don't think that is a good idea and I realize your were probably just venting. For 1, 2, or 3 day Cancellation policies generally one is only charged 1 night penalty, so that isn't quite as bad as booking a 4-night advanced purchase stay that is non-refundable in the unlikely event one does need to cancel.
I'm certainly not advocating for it, but I do wonder if the hotels will go to something like this in the future. When pricing out hotels today, I found a non-Marriott one which had a $400 Early Departure Fee, which I think is entirely counter-productive. At that point, I'll just keep my reservation and let the room sit empty, preventing the hotel from re-selling it at a higher last-minute rate.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Since June 15, 2017. New Cancellation Policy Welcome to the party.
All I can find in that thread is a link to an August 2018 article that says:
Cancellation policy

Most of the major hotel chains adjusted their cancellation policy for flexible rates in 2017. Marriott’s current cancellation policy will continue to apply across all brands.

Flexible rates need to be canceled at least 48-hours prior to arrival to avoid a fee. However, the policy does vary at properties, including resorts, so you’ll want to check the policy for the specific hotel you’re booking.
How does that make it 72 hours since June 2017?

EDIT: I found the Marriott announcement that says
Effective June 15, 2017, Marriott’s cancellation policy has been revised.

In an effort to better serve guests seeking last-minute accommodations, guests will now be required to cancel their room reservation 48-hours prior to arrival in order to avoid a fee. The revised cancellation policy will take effect on June 15, 2017 for reservations made on or after June 15, 2017.
Still the 48 hours we're all familiar with, not the 72 OP is asking about. Maybe that's why "none have a 3 day before arrival cancellation policy"

Last edited by CPRich; Feb 6, 2019 at 4:04 pm
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Interesting. I have 4 reservations I made last night that are 2 day cancellation

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until Wednesday, xxxx, 2019 (2 day[s] before arrival).
I just went back and picked 5 random dates over the next 6 months - all 2 days.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I am seeing a 3 day policy for bookings in Los Angeles end of the month.

This is new. And obviously extremely customer unfriendly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.