Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Note that some targeted promos have a variable expiration date depending when the member activates the promo, which under certain circumstances could allow you to choose the timeframe for the promo that is most advantageous for your planned travel. Read the T&Cs about expiration timeline carefully before activating any targeted promo.

Promotions Posted In Thread

Stay one paid night and get one elite night credit free.
Double elite night credits on paid nights (3 month duration ending on May 31)
Double elite night credits on paid nights (2 month duration ending on April 30)
Double elite night credits on paid nights (3 month duration ending on Aug 31)
Double elite night credits on paid nights (3 month duration ending on Oct 31)
2,000 bonus points after your first eligible stay that includes a weekend night and 3,000 bonus points after your second eligible stay that includes a weekend night.

10 additional elite night credits after two paid stays (period ending May 31)

Earn up to 9000 bonus points, 1500/3000/4500 for 1, 2, 3 paid stays (register within 3 weeks of email but no end date)
Earn up to 18,000 bonus points, 3000/6000/9000 for 1, 2, 3 paid stays (period ending May 31)
Earn up to 22,500 bonus points, 6000/7500/9000 for 1, 2, 3 paid stays (period ending May 31)
Earn up to 36,000 bonus points, 12,000/12,000/12,000 for 4, 8, 12 paid stays
Earn up to 12,000 bonus points, 4500/7500 for 1, 2 paid stays (poster didn't state end date)
Earn up to 22,500 bonus points, 7500/15000 for 1, 2 paid stays (poster didn't state end date)
Earn double points on paid stays of two or more nights (period ending May 31)
Earn up to 22,500 bonus points, 6000/7500/9000 for 1, 2, 3 paid stays (period ending at end of third month after registering; I registered 3/8 so ends June 30)

Earn two free nights up to 35K points after two (paid?) stays
Print Wikipost

Targeted Promotions, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Commie
I can't even see the Double take promotion on my website under the promo's tab. Anyone having this issue?
Lots of people. It is being discussed in the Double Take thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-5-mar-13.html

This thread should be reserved for discussion about targeted promos, but has veered off topic.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by dgparent
Now at 75 nights this year thanks to this promo, no reason to try and stay at any more Marriott's. Guess I will move over to Hilton till I make diamond again, then pick whatever chain has the best promo.
same here, will hit 75 nights this month. Will be moving my stays over to Hyatt to hit globalist
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by BaconSF

same here, will hit 75 nights this month. Will be moving my stays over to Hyatt to hit globalist
were you both able to smoothly choose the 50 and 75 night bonus awards?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Originally Posted by jimdarcy

were you both able to smoothly choose the 50 and 75 night bonus awards?

LOL I do not see that choice Also have a missing stay request in I put in 6 days ago crickets from Marriott
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: Flying Club (Gold), Bonvoy (Titanium), Hyatt (Diamond), IHG (Spire)
I've had another extremely frustrating experience with SPG/Marriott over the targeted promo.

As background, I'm currently a UK based Titanium member - *very* loyal to starwood - with 10+ years as a Platinum/Premier member and in the region of $200K lifetime spend ,and even more via my businesses.

When I read about the targeted promos here in early February I phoned Starwood UK to ask if I would receive one. I I had some good news. I was told I should have received one but my profile was not set to receive marketing emails. I was told that a mistake due to the SPG/Marriott account combination, as I've been receiving marketing emails for many years without problem. I was promised that the marketing setting would be corrected and I'd receive my targeted promo shortly.

Fast forward a few days and no promo. I then called again and had a very helpful customer service member take my details, then emailed me to ask several questions and escalated it to her senior management.

After several emails I eventually received this from a different CS representative who clearly hadn't read any of the prior comms :

I hope this correspondence finds you well.

I am reaching out to you regarding how are promotions program works. There are promotions that are offered to all guests and there are others that are targeted promotions. Targeted promotions are sent to randomly selected members using a program to make those selections. Your account is set up receive offers from us.
This is so frustrating to me. Why on earth would they set targeted promotions to be random, especially in the age of social media ?

I have to say this is just one incident out of several I've experienced where the customer service has been dreadful. My prior experience of SPG support was very good on the whole - since the acquisition I'm tearing my hair out. The app is worse, the website is worse, the (formerly excellent) lurkers seem powerless to fix things, the live chat has disappeared completely, the customer support is inconsistent and generally much worse...

I'm now making most of my bookings elsewhere and considering which other chain actually cares enough about customers to be worth my loyalty. Any advice would be appreciated ?
Dav77 likes this.

Last edited by gameswolverine; Mar 8, 2019 at 3:18 pm
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gameswolverine
I've had another extremely frustrating experience with SPG/Marriott over the targeted promo.

As background, I'm currently a UK based Titanium member - *very* loyal to starwood - with 10+ years as a Platinum/Premier member and in the region of $200K lifetime spend ,and even more via my businesses.

When I read about the targeted promos here in early February I phoned Starwood UK to ask if I would receive one. I I had some good news. I was told I should have received one but my profile was not set to receive marketing emails. I was told that a mistake due to the SPG/Marriott account combination, as I've been receiving marketing emails for many years without problem. I was promised that the marketing setting would be corrected and I'd receive my targeted promo shortly.

Fast forward a few days and no promo. I then called again and had a very helpful customer service member take my details, then emailed me to ask several questions and escalated it to her senior management.

After several emails I eventually received this from a different CS representative who clearly hadn't read any of the prior comms :

This is so frustrating to me. Why on earth would they set targeted promotions to be random, especially in the age of social media ?

I have to say this is just one incident out of several I've experienced where the customer service has been dreadful. My prior experience of SPG support was very good on the whole - since the acquisition I'm tearing my hair out. The app is worse, the website is worse, the (formerly excellent) lurkers seem powerless to fix things, the live chat has disappeared completely, the customer support is inconsistent and generally much worse...

I'm now making most of my bookings elsewhere and considering which other chain actually cares enough about customers to be worth my loyalty. Any advice would be appreciated ?
You’ve been with SPG 10+ yrs and you’ve never heard of targeted promos?

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Or, because it's a TARGETED promotion and not everyone will get it? Starwood ran these all the time and made William's life hell. Every time, there would be people whining that they weren't targeted and trying to figure out a pattern of who was targeted.

Here are a few samples, and within some threads, there are multiple quarterly promos.

10 Nov 2014 : Select Member Exclusive Email offer

Select Member Exclusive Email offer [Targeted], 30 April 2015

28 Sep : Targeted, by email : Exclusive Bonus Offer - Up to 12k Bonus Points

Exclusive (not available to everyone) bonus offer - April 2016

SPG select members exclusive promotions 2017

If you aren't targeted this time, you might be on the next one, or the one after. There will be some people that will be targeted twice before you ever get targeted once. There will be some people that will post "I got some strange exclusive promotion points post to my account. Anyone know what this is about?". (This one I find annoying.) It's not personal. Your turn may come, and it might not.

I can just hear William going "Oh no, not this again" when this latest targeted promo was launched.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Flying Club (Gold), Bonvoy (Titanium), Hyatt (Diamond), IHG (Spire)
Yes, of course I'd heard of targeted promos and have received them in the past, sometimes on request. That's why I'd phoned to ask about this one.

I've never heard of targeted promos being randomly selected though - and never had starwood tell me I should have received one and then waste my time like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Anyone got their bonus points posted yet? My 1st stay has posted more than 5 business days ago and still no bonus points have showed up.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gameswolverine
Yes, of course I'd heard of targeted promos and have received them in the past, sometimes on request. That's why I'd phoned to ask about this one.

I've never heard of targeted promos being randomly selected though - and never had starwood tell me I should have received one and then waste my time like this.
Until someone on FT figures out the algorithm to select participants in these targeted promos, the promo will continue to be "random" to our eyes. People have been trying to figure it out for years with variations on:
  • I have x stays coming up
  • I have y points in my account
  • I have XYZ status
  • We had a full moon last night
  • I was wearing my lucky underwear yesterday
etc

Have you figured out how they determine who to target?

As far as what Customer Service told you, there's been a ton of incorrect information and broken promises disseminated by the CSRs. You just have to peruse these pages to see what I'm talking about. Sorry to sound so harsh, but it's the new reality around here. Welcome to Bonfire!
PointWeasel and Dav77 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by indo79
Anyone got their bonus points posted yet? My 1st stay has posted more than 5 business days ago and still no bonus points have showed up.
Yes. My wife received the 6000/7500/9000 offer and the bonus point posted with the regular points for each stay.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Michilander
Yes. My wife received the 6000/7500/9000 offer and the bonus point posted with the regular points for each stay.
Thank you. I will need to follow up with CS then.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
As a Tit Elite, nothing at all.

Nothing targeted.

Not able to register online for the quarterly promotion,

Call the number shown on the Tit Elite App and after 20 mins on on hold, I gave up. Well done. Marriott.

Meanwhile, I am currently staying in a Preferred Hotel with a Club Floor upgrade with zero status.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Until someone on FT figures out the algorithm to select participants in these targeted promos, the promo will continue to be "random" to our eyes. People have been trying to figure it out for years with variations on:
  • I have x stays coming up
  • I have y points in my account
  • I have XYZ status
  • We had a full moon last night
  • I was wearing my lucky underwear yesterday
etc

Have you figured out how they determine who to target?

As far as what Customer Service told you, there's been a ton of incorrect information and broken promises disseminated by the CSRs. You just have to peruse these pages to see what I'm talking about. Sorry to sound so harsh, but it's the new reality around here. Welcome to Bonfire!
I used to think these double night promo is start appearing towards the end of year .... to entice members who close to qualify to next tiers to book some more trip to satisfy the qualification requirements.
Interestingly .... this time its happen quite early

(I also got this type of promotion form Emirates ... double tier miles as I was close to get Gold. Unfortunately my scheduled trip fall outside the promotion period but I will still reach Gold anyway )
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Ambassador level. I did not receive an email but found this in my promos. I'll hit the three stays by next week -

Earn up to 22,500 bonus points after only three eligible paid stays.
  • Register today.
  • Stay at any of our 6,700 participating hotels and resorts worldwide now through 05/31/2019.
  • Get 6,000 bonus points after one stay*, 7,500 additional points after your second stay and 9,000 more points after your third stay.
That's the exact same promo that I got except for expiration date; mine will be 6/30/2019 since I registered a couple of days ago. LT Titanium; only 4 stays so far this year.
I've been concentrating on Hyatt status; I'll do the 3 stays at Marriotts in order to max out the bonus which I'm assuming is stackable with the double points promo.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat
I was targeted for the "10 additional elite night credits after two paid stays" promo. I registered and stayed (paid stays) twice earlier this month and the bonus nights posted instantly along with the stay credits, brining me to 40 elite nights YTD (it seems to count for lifetime credits too, which was a pleasant surprise).

However, a couple of days later, 5 of the promotional bonus days was taken away with no explanation, brining my YTD back to 35. I know it was from the promotion from the breakdown – it used to say I have 10 bonus nights under the "Promotional" category before, and now it showed 5.

Called the elite desk to open a case for investigation. The agent (and his supervisor) seemed puzzled as well. Curious if this happened to anyone else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.