Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Note that some targeted promos have a variable expiration date depending when the member activates the promo, which under certain circumstances could allow you to choose the timeframe for the promo that is most advantageous for your planned travel. Read the T&Cs about expiration timeline carefully before activating any targeted promo.

Promotions Posted In Thread

Stay one paid night and get one elite night credit free.
Double elite night credits on paid nights (3 month duration ending on May 31)
Double elite night credits on paid nights (2 month duration ending on April 30)
Double elite night credits on paid nights (3 month duration ending on Aug 31)
Double elite night credits on paid nights (3 month duration ending on Oct 31)
2,000 bonus points after your first eligible stay that includes a weekend night and 3,000 bonus points after your second eligible stay that includes a weekend night.

10 additional elite night credits after two paid stays (period ending May 31)

Earn up to 9000 bonus points, 1500/3000/4500 for 1, 2, 3 paid stays (register within 3 weeks of email but no end date)
Earn up to 18,000 bonus points, 3000/6000/9000 for 1, 2, 3 paid stays (period ending May 31)
Earn up to 22,500 bonus points, 6000/7500/9000 for 1, 2, 3 paid stays (period ending May 31)
Earn up to 36,000 bonus points, 12,000/12,000/12,000 for 4, 8, 12 paid stays
Earn up to 12,000 bonus points, 4500/7500 for 1, 2 paid stays (poster didn't state end date)
Earn up to 22,500 bonus points, 7500/15000 for 1, 2 paid stays (poster didn't state end date)
Earn double points on paid stays of two or more nights (period ending May 31)
Earn up to 22,500 bonus points, 6000/7500/9000 for 1, 2, 3 paid stays (period ending at end of third month after registering; I registered 3/8 so ends June 30)

Earn two free nights up to 35K points after two (paid?) stays
Print Wikipost

Targeted Promotions, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Folks, Starwood has been doing these targeted promos for years. We've never found a pattern. It's not personal! Sadly, the marketing dudes that dreamed up these stupid targeted promos apparently work for Marriott now.

KRSW, illico and ryw like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
For everyone that did not a receive a promo and has options to stay at another chain, please do so.
We know these types of promos are done to gauge behavior, and determine what incentives bring the best return, therefore we need to reinforce that no promo = no stays.

I did not receive an offer and I will be directing my stays to Hilton unless something changes.
Hilton's current promo will net you 20K bonus points pretty much every 5 stays, so i will build my balance there.
As others have mentioned, with lifetime titanium i have no other incentive to stay exclusively at Marriott.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by shawneve
For everyone that did not a receive a promo and has options to stay at another chain, please do so.
We know these types of promos are done to gauge behavior, and determine what incentives bring the best return, therefore we need to reinforce that no promo = no stays.

I did not receive an offer and I will be directing my stays to Hilton unless something changes.
Hilton's current promo will net you 20K bonus points pretty much every 5 stays, so i will build my balance there.
As others have mentioned, with lifetime titanium i have no other incentive to stay exclusively at Marriott.
just did the same - high dollar reservation moved to the competition!
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shawneve
But how will Marriott know you moved your stays because of lack of a targeted promo as opposed to:
  • horrible IT
  • incompetent CS
  • stays not crediting
  • lack up upgrades
  • reduction of benefits (if you were legacy SPG)
  • incomprehensible breakfast benefit
BTW, I'm positive we will be getting a quarterly promo shortly after the launch of Bonfire.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by canael
It seems like people who have already stayed a lot ytd or have a bunch of future bookings got nothing. I think this naturally makes people hold back bookings and if the promotion is not coming or the rates have become unfavorable Marriott is losing out on that business...
I have 14 nights YTD, 13 nights booked till the end of April (which will be doubled) and probably another 30 nights booked beyond that .... I still go the offer.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
I don't really understand how their marketing team thinks here. So they have a bunch of new and returning Plats, PP, and PP Am every year. Why do themselves the unfavour and exclude some of these returning customers in a promotion for an off season like spring? I don't get it. The response they have is a full 15 pages and ongoing long thread on FT with folks being disappointed and looking for answers.
And if my points bank is the reason I don't really see my 211 000 points on my account as much. Zero nights achieved so far into 2019 as well. I'm confused as the rest of us.

Next promotion suggestion: Launch an exklusive promotion for Platinums and above. Even better, let the Plat and above choose his "challenge"?

Last edited by joakgarp; Feb 7, 2019 at 10:40 am
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I would say its not targeted .... but more like pure random
margarita girl and ryw like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
US-based Plat / LT Gold here. received the double elite nights by April 30th promotion. I had 1 stay in January, and 2 future stays booked for March and that's it. I'm also trying to figure out if the bonus nights count towards your lifetime qualifying nights. This statement has me confused:

Elite Night Credits will count only toward the status year in which they are posted.

Well, since they don't do rollover nights anymore, and the promotions all end by May 31st (calendar year 2019) I'm not expecting the bonus nights to be of benefit beyond earning status for 2020. But since LT nights are just added up, I wish it would be a little clearer about whether those count in the tally or not. I'm happy with the promo, but getting weary of having to constantly peel back the layers of obfuscation that have become a hallmark of the rewards program over the past few years. sigh ...
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Originally Posted by margarita girl
But how will Marriott know you moved your stays because of lack of a targeted promo as opposed to:
  • horrible IT
  • incompetent CS
  • stays not crediting
  • lack up upgrades
  • reduction of benefits (if you were legacy SPG)
  • incomprehensible breakfast benefit
BTW, I'm positive we will be getting a quarterly promo shortly after the launch of Bonfire.
They won't know why, but if enough people do what i am going to do, they will have data supporting that members who do not receive promos spend x% less than those that do. (therefore no promo = bad for business) Unfortunately in order to come to that conclusion, they need to have members that weren't sent a promo.
Ideally even the people who receive the week promos should stay somewhere else because I assume these targeted promos are used to determine the least amount of incentive required to drive increased or at least status quo business from its members. In turn, that data is used to shape the global promos.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:07 pm

Husband today received different version of the promo, stay one paid night and get one elite night credit free.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:11 pm

Folks, Starwood has been doing these targeted promos for years. We've never found a pattern. It's not personal! Sadly, the marketing dudes that dreamed up these stupid targeted promos apparently work for Marriott now.

I am Plat elite and all bookings through my name for quite a while now. I received extra points for extra stays. Husband today received offer of an elite night on one paid stay. Hypothesis - booker gets extra points for stays whilst the non-booker receives elite credit night to encourage booking?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lizie
Husband today received offer of an elite night on one paid stay.
Are you saying your husband didn't have an offer yesterday, but he did today?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Me, PPE, made all the bookings in 2018. Only future stays booked in 2019 are redemption.
Account balance 500K+.
Received 2 qualified nights for each paid night.

Husband, Gold, had nothing booked in 2018 but tons in 2017. Account balance 2.2K.
Do NOT receive any offer,

We envy those who get one free night up to 35K for each paid night, capped at 2, or the 10 elite nights at 5 for each paid night.

Lots of bookings would not be with BonFire anyway due to 2019 consists once again long cruises and places there are no BonFire hotels, but actually have some IHGs and some NH (which chain it belongs to?)
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:29 pm

Are you saying your husband didn't have an offer yesterday, but he did today?
Yes exactly and I checked his promotion page to check if it was there. There was nothing there except the picture of the hot air baloons. Perhaps they're sending them out in batches, targeting different people with different options? I do hope not margarita girl because if that's so - will there actually still be a need to run a Megabonus this quater?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lizie
Yes exactly and I checked his promotion page to check if it was there. There was nothing there except the picture of the hot air baloons. Perhaps they're sending them out in batches, targeting different people with different options? I do hope not margarita girl because if that's so - will there actually still be a need to run a Megabonus this quater?
Well, that's good news for people who have received nothing yet. OTOH, it may lead to hundreds more posts of "still nothing for me …".
Lizie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.