Targeted Promotions, 2019

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 3, 19, 4:35 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: kklems
Wiki Link
Promotions Posted In Thread

Stay one paid night and get one elite night credit free.
Double elite night credits on paid nights (3 month duration ending on May 31)
Double elite night credits on paid nights (2 month duration ending on April 30)
Double elite night credits on paid nights (3 month duration ending on Aug 31)
Double elite night credits on paid nights (3 month duration ending on Oct 31)

10 additional elite night credits after two paid stays (period ending May 31)

Earn up to 9000 bonus points, 1500/3000/4500 for 1, 2, 3 paid stays (register within 3 weeks of email but no end date)
Earn up to 18,000 bonus points, 3000/6000/9000 for 1, 2, 3 paid stays (period ending May 31)
Earn up to 22,500 bonus points, 6000/7500/9000 for 1, 2, 3 paid stays (period ending May 31)
Earn up to 36,000 bonus points, 12,000/12,000/12,000 for 4, 8, 12 paid stays
Earn up to 12,000 bonus points, 4500/7500 for 1, 2 paid stays (poster didn't state end date)
Earn up to 22,500 bonus points, 7500/15000 for 1, 2 paid stays (poster didn't state end date)
Earn double points on paid stays of two or more nights (period ending May 31)
Earn up to 22,500 bonus points, 6000/7500/9000 for 1, 2, 3 paid stays (period ending at end of third month after registering; I registered 3/8 so ends June 30)

Earn two free nights up to 35K points after two (paid?) stays
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 11, 19, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Nothing for me, I guess they know I have an upcoming stay in Feb so they know they don't need to give me extra points.
Originally Posted by joakgarp View Post
Same here. I always plan my trips 4-6 months ahead so guess that's the reason I'm disqualified for a promo like this.
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Just checked Mr.'s account he has the "12 stays for 36k points within by the end of May" promo, and well he hasn't booked anything and I have a 9 night stay this month. Don't know if it's random.
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy View Post
I also had a stay booked for Feb and I got no offers. The operative word in that sentence being "had."
Why are people in this thread going full conspiracy mode? I'm the OP, currently Platinum, I have all my stays for 2019 already booked, and I got the 3 month double EQN promo. I have enough paid nights inside the promo period to get to Titanium by May. I would not have gotten Titanium otherwise because I opted to stay with some non-Marriott hotels on certain trips.
Old Feb 11, 19, 8:40 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
10 additional elite night credits after two paid stays (period ending May 31) showed up in my promotions so I registered. Completed a 4-night stay 02/8, and two 1-night stays 02/09 and 02/10. All three have posted, and my promotion shows completed, and the 10 nights are reflected on my night count. Looks like I'm gonna hit 30 nights well before February is over.

cfischer likes this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 9:37 am

Talking

Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
Why are people in this thread going full conspiracy mode? I'm the OP, currently Platinum, I have all my stays for 2019 already booked, and I got the 3 month double EQN promo. I have enough paid nights inside the promo period to get to Titanium by May. I would not have gotten Titanium otherwise because I opted to stay with some non-Marriott hotels on certain trips.

Exactly this. Someone else posted earlier on in the thread: "Nothing here so I called MR. They indicated they are rolling out the promotions from now through February 13th." Who knows if that is accurate or not, but maybe everyone who hasn't been targeted (me included) can wait to get out their pitchforks until the 14th
Old Feb 11, 19, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by nsummy View Post
Exactly this. Someone else posted earlier on in the thread: "Nothing here so I called MR. They indicated they are rolling out the promotions from now through February 13th." Who knows if that is accurate or not, but maybe everyone who hasn't been targeted (me included) can wait to get out their pitchforks until the 14th
Or, because it's a TARGETED promotion and not everyone will get it? Starwood ran these all the time and made William's life hell. Every time, there would be people whining that they weren't targeted and trying to figure out a pattern of who was targeted.

Here are a few samples, and within some threads, there are multiple quarterly promos.

10 Nov 2014 : Select Member Exclusive Email offer

Select Member Exclusive Email offer [Targeted], 30 April 2015

28 Sep : Targeted, by email : Exclusive Bonus Offer - Up to 12k Bonus Points

Exclusive (not available to everyone) bonus offer - April 2016

SPG select members exclusive promotions 2017

If you aren't targeted this time, you might be on the next one, or the one after. There will be some people that will be targeted twice before you ever get targeted once. There will be some people that will post "I got some strange exclusive promotion points post to my account. Anyone know what this is about?". (This one I find annoying.) It's not personal. Your turn may come, and it might not.

I can just hear William going "Oh no, not this again" when this latest targeted promo was launched.
myperks, EuropeanPete and txpenny like this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 11:56 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Iím personally convinced that there is almost a deliberate lack of pattern as to who gets targeted for these things. They need study groups and control groups across a wide range of customer behavior patterns to understand what types of promotions best incentivize which types of customers to commit more profitable spend to the company. E.g., what is the profit impact of this offer for the targeted frequent stayer group vs the frequent stayer control group? How about for the set of formerly frequent stayers whose stays have recently dropped off? Etc.

Banks do the same thing with deposit and CC offers. These are just natural experiments. Whether or not you are targeted has more to do with your luck with a random number generator than it has to do with how much the company values you as a customer.
margarita girl and nexusCFX like this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Choice Platinum, Caesar's Platinum, MLife Pearl
To be fair, expressing disappointment with not being targeted, or wondering whether there is a recognizable pattern to who did get targeted, are not sentiments that equate to going into conspiracy mode. It is not unreasonable to consider the possibility that a company with tons of guest data might use that data in an attempt to promote incremental business. Personally, I canceled an 11 night Marriott booking during February because I was not targeted. This wasn't an attempt to punish Marriott with my meager business or to convince Marriott to offer me a promotion. It was simply a choice based partly on the fact that Hilton will give me bonus points and Marriott will not.
Old Feb 11, 19, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy View Post
To be fair, expressing disappointment with not being targeted, or wondering whether there is a recognizable pattern to who did get targeted, are not sentiments that equate to going into conspiracy mode. It is not unreasonable to consider the possibility that a company with tons of guest data might use that data in an attempt to promote incremental business. Personally, I canceled an 11 night Marriott booking during February because I was not targeted. This wasn't an attempt to punish Marriott with my meager business or to convince Marriott to offer me a promotion. It was simply a choice based partly on the fact that Hilton will give me bonus points and Marriott will not.
What if they come out with a great promo in 2 days? (I know, highly unlikely based on everything we've seen so far.) But there will be some sort of Mega/Micro Bonus promo where everyone is included. I'm guessing we will hear before the end of the week!

People are acting like this targeted promo is the only one we will see for the next few months. With SPG, it certainly wasn't. It always ran concurrently with an "everyone" promo. And the 2 promos were stackable.
Old Feb 11, 19, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
What if they come out with a great promo in 2 days? (I know, highly unlikely based on everything we've seen so far.) But there will be some sort of Mega/Micro Bonus promo where everyone is included. I'm guessing we will hear before the end of the week!

People are acting like this targeted promo is the only one we will see for the next few months. With SPG, it certainly wasn't. It always ran concurrently with an "everyone" promo. And the 2 promos were stackable.
I really hope so. This elite double night credit isnít really incentivizing me to go out of my way to book with Marriott. At the same time, Ihg or Hyatt doesnít have any good promo either.
Old Feb 11, 19, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
While this is disappointing, I cannot say that I am not actually downright bitter about not getting any offer this time. At the beginning beginning of year I had figured that in addition to my credit card spending nights (I have the old card) I should need about two or three nights per month to qualify for 50-night Platinum with lounge access next year. Titanium level would be nice, but I really don't think it would be worth going out of my way for, so it's all good that way.
Old Feb 11, 19, 4:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I've cancelled six reservations (so far). 16 Marriott nights are now Hilton nights. Yes, I am starting to feel better.
Old Feb 11, 19, 4:29 pm

Hmm.... No targeted promo here either and no other announced promo for all. I have 11 nights booked with Marriott since I already completed Hilton diamond for the year (through 2020). Maybe I'll move those back to continue the Hilton bonus if nothing pops up in the next few days.
Old Feb 11, 19, 8:41 pm

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
on Marriott account:
Earn up to 22,500 bonus points, 6000/7500/9000 for 1, 2, 3 paid stays (period ending May 31)

on SPG account:
Earn up to 22,500 bonus points, 7500/15000 for 1, 2 paid stays (poster didn't state end date)

so I should only combine the account after doing all of these right ?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
my brother got an email today for the following:

Enjoy an exclusive offer, chosen especially for you. Hereís an offer just for you: Earn up to 22,500 bonus points. Youíll earn 7,500 points when you complete one stay and an additional 15,000 points for your second stay. Just register today, then book, stay and earn at any of our 6,700 participating hotels and resorts.*
he has not stayed at a spg/marriott hotel for almost a year....his last stay was in march, 2018....
Old Feb 11, 19, 11:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post

Thatís the best pts promo yet. Itís not even in the wiki. Congrats!

I believe you are a heavy traveler. Can you post your YTD nights as well as future bookings? Some people seem to think that only light travelers are targeted.
Thanks @margarita girl. YTD nights only 8 due to the Lunar New Year, but I already have eight trips (32 nights total) booked between now and mid-June, so on target for Titanium 2020 (I wouldn't make Ambassador anyway due to lack of spend).

When I travelled lighter, i.e. old SPG Gold-type travel routines, I was never selected for a targeted offer. I only started receiving these when I started hitting over 65 nights. And I usually book six months in advance, so everyone at Marriott who has access to my profile knows my trips are already booked.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 11:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Gold, Skywards : Gold
No promotion for me.
Titanium amb with 12 nights and 6 nights booked for feb and march.
will have few long trips scheduled for jun jul aug period.

to be honest, I dont feel bitter about not getting any promotion at this time. Increase my chance to get them during those busy period

Search this Thread