Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Likelihood Marriott will Take Away Lounge Access from Platinum During Next Downgrade?

Likelihood Marriott will Take Away Lounge Access from Platinum During Next Downgrade?

Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by AAir_head
A plat could stay at any property (doesn't have to be RC), pay rack or corporate rates, and easily spend more than a titanium on any given stay or through any given year. I don't think how the airlines do upgrades is relevant here--it's a completely different product: everyone shows at the same time and all the seats are available at the same time (you DO know "your seat" isn't really "your seat"...right?). It's possible to have three top-tier flyers seated in coach together who all paid more for their seat than every person in F (none of whom are elite or top-tier) because they all walked up an hour before the flight. Do you think airlines should hold all the seats in the F cabin because the elites who spent the most money for the flight should get those seats? That would be silly. I don't think hotels work that way, either.

You said in your original post DYKWIA is important to you--okay, then: pony up the money and just buy the room you want. Presto: you'll probably (but not necessarily) spend the most money AND have the better room. You can even tell everyone about it and some may be very impressed. Or call ahead, tell them exactly when you're arriving, and pointedly ask "DYKWIA?...Great, if you have an upgraded room available, I expect you to hold it for me until I get there." Maybe that will work, and maybe it won't. I don't know.

If you want to try to spend as little as possible and get the most out of it, play the game by the rules the program lays out just like everyone else. That means that a nicer room isn't "your upgrade"; it's a perk the hotel may or may not give. I am sure the hotel will leave a suite or premium room empty if they don't see a benefit in giving it as an upgrade--because it is empty doesn't mean they're required to upgrade you into it. I'm guessing it isn't exceedingly common that an upgraded room is available for the length of a given stay AND upgrading someone into it leaves another like it to be sold. There's a thread around here somewhere about the dark arts of revenue management; I don't pretend to understand it fully, but I'm sure they're not going to shoot themselves in the foot with upgrades--if they think they can sell it they're not going to give it away and we ought not begrudge the fact.

Upgrades are often a pleasant surprise (but sometimes not--like the this past weekend when I got "upgraded" into a executive suite that's also accessible, which is literally a pain in my back). I'm perfectly happy to get the room I paid for and the lounge access/PAG I "earned" under the program rules--if that changes, so be it. MR/MBv doesn't "owe" me anything that's not in the T&C and I'm very clear-eyed about the fact they can change the T&C any time and for any reason. "Lifetime" means "lifetime of the loyalty program", which can be terminated with as little as 6 months notice (less in some jurisdictions)--that's all spelled out up front in the T&C. And if you don't think you're getting enough love, you can terminate it too...

cheers and happy travels!
agreed the upgrade process airlines at least aa uses might not work with hotels but at the same time Id argue the process today hotels use doesnt work either.

No im not going to bail on Marriott as I do really believe I get good value from my stays and more or less looked after. But when I check into a hotel and the lower tier member next to me gets upgraded and I dont something is wrong. Thats not the right way of looking after elites
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTT | IHG PLT| Hertz 5 Star | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
No im not going to bail on Marriott as I do really believe I get good value from my stays and more or less looked after...
I think we just have to trust them to do what they're supposed to--as you note, I think they generally do.

...But when I check into a hotel and the lower tier member next to me gets upgraded and I dont something is wrong. Thats not the right way of looking after elites
I don't think I've ever had this happen to me, but the whole thing is rather opaque really--it's not like you can actually see who's in each room, what status they are, and whether they booked that room or got upgraded into it (and if they got upgraded, why--it could be unrelated to the program).

Do you know for certain this has happened? Does it happen to you frequently? Did/do you say something to management? There's no compensation in the T&Cs for upgrades, but at least a manager might be able to explain what happened if it was really as blatant as that.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:56 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Hilton gives u lounge access with 30 stays....
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by naumank
Now that they have created additional tiers like Titanium and Ambassador, what do you think the likelihood is that Marriott will take away lounge access from Platinum members during the next downgrade of the Bonvoy program (say in a year or two)?
Please don't take this the wrong way, but is this anything beyond pure, completely groundless speculation? First, you assume without any evidence whatever (if I'm wrong, I'd be happy to see what you have) that there will be a downgrade in a couple of years, and then you go on to ask for opinions from there? Sure, "speculation" is FT's middle name, but this seems a bit much to me.
NJNY likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTT | IHG PLT| Hertz 5 Star | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
...upgrades and the process are clearly defined vs some magic of first come first served regardless of value to the airline or elite tier

wouldnt it it be great to see a suite upgrade list in the lobby and see where you fall?
I'm just not sure how they could make this work. There's just such a wide variety of upgraded/desireable rooms versus F/J/PE/E on an airplane. For all I know I get "upgraded" nearly every stay but it's such a minor difference it's not worth mentioning. The move from one cabin to another is very obvious; outside the move to a club/concierge floor, it's not very obvious what's behind the door in a hotel...so there's not really a good way to guage the "class" of room you're in versus those around you.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: AAEXP 2MM, UA 0.9MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
unless Marriott is willing to give a titanium more Im in favor of taking away from others to make top status more valuable

until marriott gets this right, take away platinum benefits please
Alienating highly valuable customers is probably not a good business strategy.
Horace, Antarius and NJNY like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by AAir_head
I think we just have to trust them to do what they're supposed to--as you note, I think they generally do.

I don't think I've ever had this happen to me, but the whole thing is rather opaque really--it's not like you can actually see who's in each room, what status they are, and whether they booked that room or got upgraded into it (and if they got upgraded, why--it could be unrelated to the program).

Do you know for certain this has happened? Does it happen to you frequently? Did/do you say something to management? There's no compensation in the T&Cs for upgrades, but at least a manager might be able to explain what happened if it was really as blatant as that.
i travel for work and most of the time travel with others including my direct reports. Some of these persons being lower tier members and we always discuss what rooms we got. Generally we all check in on the same day allbeit at different times and yes Ive seen lower tiers get upgrades I dont
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by GlobeTrekker
Alienating highly valuable customers is probably not a good business strategy.
agreed but I still dont think Marriott does enough for higher tiers. My posts are tounge in cheek. No Marriott should not downgrade platinum as that sets a bad precedent for all tiers but they sure as heck need to do better for top tiers imo
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

agreed but I still dont think Marriott does enough for higher tiers. My posts are tounge in cheek. No Marriott should not downgrade platinum as that sets a bad precedent for all tiers but they sure as heck need to do better for top tiers imo
I have to agree with this. I was originally planning to go for PPE this year, which would have required cutting out some Hyatt stays I have planned and also picking 5 EQN as my first choice benefit. The thing is, I chose those Hyatt properties because from a cost/quality perspective, they're much better options in those cases, and I would like to get my SNAs as early as possible. To switch them would require that Marriott make it worth my while to go for PPE, and I honestly don't feel that it provides any benefits that actually occur in real life that are worth me changing my plans.

RC suite upgrades? I've seen ambassador members report that they didn't get any upgrade at all at RC properties with tons of open rooms. No Your24, and that benefit isn't guaranteed for ambassadors anyway. Extra 2.5pts/$ is cool but not life-changing. There's just no killer benefit that makes me want to stretch for PPE.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Not even Marriott is that stupid. Once all the UA Elite nonsense is over lounges will be much less crowded. With 50+ nights giving no lounge access would be worst in industry, not even Marriott can afford this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Seems to me that they tried approaching the surfeit of platinums the other way around via restricting credit card nights as an eligible loophole for lounge access.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
I don't care what level gets access as long as they enforce the guest rules, dresscode, and keep the children out.
hipquest likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by danimuhl
I don't care what level gets access as long as they enforce the guest rules, dresscode, and keep the children out.
whats wrong with kids accompanying an adult with access?

i have zero issues with kids in the lounge if they are behaved
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Platinum benefits will be downgraded when Marriott decides that there are too many Lifetime Platinums.

Since only Tits would get lounge access in that scenario, and far fewer people are grandfathered into Lifetime Tit, it would be an option for Marriott to cut costs...
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:16 pm

whats wrong with kids accompanying an adult with access?

i have zero issues with kids in the lounge if they are behaved
its not that simple with behaved kids... one parents behaved kids can be another guests torment. Ill be okay if the parent removes the kid from the lounge during tantrums but almost never happens. And we all know confrontation will happen if the hotel staff says anything about it because those that dont have the decency to remove themselves during kids tantrums are also difficult guests to deal with. Might as well restrict access completely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.