Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Likelihood Marriott will Take Away Lounge Access from Platinum During Next Downgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Likelihood Marriott will Take Away Lounge Access from Platinum During Next Downgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by myperks

its not that simple with behaved kids... one parent’s behaved kids can be another guest’s torment. I’ll be okay if the parent removes the kid from the lounge during tantrums but almost never happens. And we all know confrontation will happen if the hotel staff says anything about it because those that don’t have the decency to remove themselves during kids tantrums are also difficult guests to deal with. Might as well restrict access completely.
I don’t think I’ve come across any kids in lounges I’ve thought warranted the boot. But I’ve lost count of how many grown adults I’ve seen in hotels and lounges who need to go back to manners school to learn how to appropriately behave in public

if we restrict access to adults the lounges will likely be empty for lack of any adults in the room

DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Nuhusky

I don’t think I’ve come across any kids in lounges I’ve thought warranted the boot. But I’ve lost count of how many grown adults I’ve seen in hotels and lounges who need to go back to manners school to learn how to appropriately behave in public

if we restrict access to adults the lounges will likely be empty for lack of any adults in the room
Without taking this conversation off topic in this thread, you made my point exactly. you either are the parent (or family member) that thinks their kids are angels or you haven’t been to lounges in family friendly cities where parents take their kids on vacation or staycations. Disgusting when you find kids putting their fingers in every dish at the lounge and the parent is like “oh so cute, he is a good boy getting his own food.” There is a reason some lounges are only 18+.

Having said that, totally agree that there are lots of immature adults in lounges making a fool of themselves as well. Loud and obnoxious (and touch food with hands and put back). Eeekkkkkk.
nexusCFX likes this.

Last edited by myperks; Feb 3, 2019 at 7:05 pm
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by myperks

Without taking this conversation off topic in this thread, you made my point exactly. you either are the parent (or family member) that thinks their kids are angels or you haven’t been to lounges in family friendly cities where parents take their kids on vacation or staycations. Disgusting when you find kids putting their fingers in every dish at the lounge and the parent is like “oh so cute, he is a good boy getting his own food.” There is a reason some lounges are only 18+.

Having said that, totally agree that there are lots of immature adults in lounges making a full of themselves as well. Loud and obnoxious (and touch food with hands and put back). Eeekkkkkk.
I’m a germaphobe so can’t say your personal attack really applies but thanks for playing
fdem likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX

whats wrong with kids accompanying an adult with access?

i have zero issues with kids in the lounge if they are behaved
There were a couple of fairly recent posts looking for (former) SPG and/or Marriott properties with lounge access because (only one of their points, to be fair) it made it easier with kids during the day. It threw me because WHY would your kids (even with your supervision) be hanging out in the lounge all day? (I knew I should have saved the thread but I didn't and I've tried to search, to no avail).

I actually find that the parents are the issue when kids are left to do as they please.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Since only Tits would get lounge access in that scenario, and far fewer people are grandfathered into Lifetime Tit, it would be an option for Marriott to cut costs...
And probably cut revenue at the same time.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:37 am

Hi -

Umm ... it has been my experience that Tits, and especially Lifetime Tits, get whatever they want, including lounge access ....
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:43 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Airlines do bring some insights on how to link value of a customer with their potential future revenue. Revenue management innovations in one sector sometimes can be ported over to another.

​​​​​
​​​​​One of the ways to further reduce the lounge crowding can be implementing a spending threshold for unlimited lounge access. For example, you have to spend say $us 5000/year to get unlimited lounge access. Or else, your welcome kit can be points, food & drink credit/breakfast, lounge access or local gift.

The spending threshold is already used in the Ambassador level and cal roll out to future titanium and Platinum.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:38 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Thumbs down

I don’t get it lounge access is supposed to be for one plus guest why do I keep seeing a family of 5 using the lounge, yes maybe they booked 2 rooms at club level but somehow doubt it. Am currently at a property in. Malaysia and it was a nightmare kids running up and down screaming, spoke to the staff and they are aware of the problem. Perhaps enforce rules of one plus guest. Problem is that so many elites use the lounges as an excuse to feed their kid free as they don’t have the money or inclination to pay for dinner. Lounges have become a big problem. Originally they were a place to relax after work/sightseeing with an aperitif before going out to eat. I wish Marriott would justget rid of them as it brings out the worst ,in our fellow human beings!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
i travel for work and most of the time travel with others including my direct reports. Some of these persons being lower tier members and we always discuss what rooms we got.
I always try to avoid discussing upgrades with my colleagues and especially boss(es), be it flights or rooms. Usually I'm on a much higher tier than they are (think Silver/Gold vs Plat/Plat+ in any programme) and 99% I get much better rooms, op-ups etc than they do - no use to brag and make them envious, they'll remember it during the next salary overview...
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: UA, LH, BA
for some strange reason, the last three Marriotts that I stayed at had H##ters(good wings) near them.(across the street) One even had a [taking off clothes] club(had a free buffet) 3-minute walk away. I go there instead of the lounges.

If that's true for all the Marriotts, I won't miss lounge access at all.

Last edited by geometry; Feb 4, 2019 at 10:58 am
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE

i travel for work and most of the time travel with others including my direct reports. Some of these persons being lower tier members and we always discuss what rooms we got. Generally we all check in on the same day allbeit at different times and yes I’ve seen lower tiers get upgrades I don’t
So then you have multiple first-hand, relevant, and provable cases to have taken to a property manager or to MR. Have you ever done that? If so, what was their response?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by fdem
I wish Marriott would justget rid of them as it brings out the worst ,in our fellow human beings!
That is easily solved. Don’t go to the lounge!

I’ve asked staff to remove plates from the lounge that children had their hands all over. Sheraton Waikiki is terrible for children running back and forth. I’d suggest limiting the hours for children under 14.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by naumank
I recall a colleague was telling me around the Year 2010 that SPG had removed lounge access at his tier (I believe it was gold). I could be wrong on this.
Or you might be recalling correctly, but your colleague could have been the on confused at that time.

There were other ways of getting lounge access besides status. For example, the Amex SPG Business card gave lounge access (at Sheraton properties only). It could be that your colleague had been getting lounge access from something other than Gold status, but didn't realize that, then lost that, and thought erroneously that it was a downgrade to Gold status benefits when it was actually something other reason.

In any case, no one else remembers SPG Gold ever giving lounge status (unless perhaps it got you upgraded to the club floor?), so they certainly didn't take it away circa 2010. Whatever the reason for your mistaken impression (which seems to have been a big basis for the speculation in this thread), it appears to have been incorrect.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
if they are behaved
This is the critical part.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer

i have zero issues with kids adults in the lounge if they are behaved

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.