Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Algarve, Portugal, opened June 2022 [Master Thread]

Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

Anyone know the status of this? According to an article I saw, it is supposed to be opening next month but there isn't anything in the news about about it recently and there isn't anything on the Marriott website. No immediate trip but if this was opening, I might plan time to visit.

W Hotels Worldwide Swims Up to Portugal?s Famed Sunkissed Coast With W Algarve | Marriott News Center
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:53 am

Probably deflagged already. These type of projects usually go way overbudget and all of the sudden those upfront fees that have to paid to Marriott start to look too costly to the property developer.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Sucks if W algarve is cancelled. Marriott is in need of a better and varied foot print in Portugal. My visits last summer with Sheraton Porto and Sheraton Lisboa were very nice. Had one week in each.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Probably deflagged already. These type of projects usually go way overbudget and all of the sudden those upfront fees that have to paid to Marriott start to look too costly to the property developer.
Or ... like the prospective condo I was looking at, the developer couldn't get the financing to start the project.

Looks like the concept here was a W Residences mixed in with a hotel. Maybe Brexit created some uncertainty in the financial world regarding whether the Residences could be sold and whether Brits will continue visiting the Algarve post Brexit.

I suppose its hard to build a reliable ROI case for the bankers based on the random FTer who occasionally works remotely at places on the beach with good bars .... with reliable wifi
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:31 am

W Algarve Portugal

Hello, anyone knows any news about W Algarve?

as a resident in Portugal I do often pay visit to Algarve and a new Marriott Bonvoy hotel especially like W is most welcomed.

Id really want to try in the first moment, but it seems it is gonna be delayed?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Comments in this thread from 2 months ago seems like the last discussion so I would think no new updates:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...w-algarve.html
Old May 23, 2019, 2:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
The residences at W Algarve were launched on May 20th, so this project is very much alive albeit delayed until 2020. Some imagery here at their new website: W Residences Algarve - Vibrant. Welcoming. Exclusive.

I must say the property looks beautiful - adds a signature W/youthful edge to the gorgeous Algarve, although I can already see the entourages and hear the boom boom music.

khabah
Old May 24, 2019, 11:52 am

Where's the beach? Map says something about 350m but if that is indeed true they should at least show it on the map. If the beach does end up being far away I think it will be an issue for the hotel. The "Vision" pic definitely doesn't show a beach near the property but then in the other pics they have definitely done some creative photoshop work on the pics to make it look like there are expansive water views everywhere.

Last edited by christianj; May 24, 2019 at 11:57 am
Old May 24, 2019, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are legacy Starwood properties in tha Algarve, for example Pine Cliffs (LC) which is a resort complex with condos and at least two separate hotels. There are several others that are smaller, although of course none are W in style.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:11 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Walked by the W Algarve site (oceanside) today and took some photos. Construction of the resort building is ongoing, seems on track for 2020. I have my doubts about this being a beach resort though. There is a cove (Evaristo beach), which is already very crowded. I cant see W putting up any beach loungers, unless they take over the existing beach concession.

This is the beach, already crowded without the W

Buggy road to buildings

Sales Office seen from beach path

Resort building

Buggy path to Evaristo Beach
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:26 pm

@livefromtuscany....thanks for posting the update. IMHO those buildings look a lot further off from being completed than a year but you never know.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:48 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by christianj
@livefromtuscany....thanks for posting the update. IMHO those buildings look a lot further off from being completed than a year but you never know.
theres a lot of activity so completion in late 2020 seems possible. Opening possibly 2021 IMHO.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:04 pm

This popped up on Marriott.com today with an April 2021 opening date.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:21 pm

W Algarve opens in May 2022 due to Covid

Mariott is taking bookings as of May 2022 .. we will be there October so hopefully they have figured out all the bugs and glitches by then ..
Old Jun 5, 2022, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Grey_Owl
Mariott is taking bookings as of May 2022 .. we will be there October so hopefully they have figured out all the bugs and glitches by then ..
Here now, was originally meant to open in May but was pushed to June 1. Still some work being done but for the most part the resort is finished and operating.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.