Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

UK Creation Credit Card - some UK GBP charges getting 2 times spend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.

I have the UK Marriott Rewards Mastercard by Creation. In the past few months, I have noticed that the points I am getting credited to Marriott is more than expected. The points shows up in Marriott rewards as "2 Mr Pts P/£1 On Other Abroad." Based on the amounts, it looks like my Amazon Prime spending and my yearly subscription to Ancestry.co.uk both showed up in this category, even though the charges were against the card in GBP.

Not that I am complaining to have extra points, but it is weird and was just wondering if I am the only one seeing this?

Cheers,
Greg
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
This used to be fairly common but you see it less these days, or fewer people discuss it.

It happens when a company, and multinationals like Amazon are the obvious ones, charges your card in a foreign country but in Sterling. Most UK Amazon transactions are actually made in Luxembourg for tax reasons.

Creation doesn't actually look for transactions in foreign currencies, it looks for transactions initiated outside the UK which is why you get double.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Thanks for the explanation. Figured that it might have something to do with the companies being international. Though, strangely not consistent, as my Amazon Prime membership fee is international, but purchases of films or TV series shows up as GB spend for 1 point. And of course, if a foreign transaction is processed in pounds, you only get the points for UK spend.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Yes I subscribe to Premier Sports and even though I am charged in GBP, I get 2 x the points because its processed in Luxembourg I think it is.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Any information on if or when this card will be accepting applications again?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:39 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
It’s not known when or even if Marriott will relauch it’s UK Mastercard/Visa offering. But don’t forget there is still the SPG AMEX which pays a very generous 3 points per £ on day-to-day spending and 6 per £ spent at Bonvoy properties. Although AMEX is not as widely accepted here in the UK as it is in USA, it is accepted across petrol stations, supermarkets and major retailers. Now it does carry a £75 ($100) annual fee but I have it and make about £8,000 each year general spending on it. Added to my £7,000 annual Bonvoy spending makes a total of 66,000 points. If I did this on my legacy Marriott Creation card I’d receive 24,000 including the annual 2k bonus. The extra 42,000 points are easily redeemable at £250 making the annual AMEX fee well worthwhile!

Finally AMEX does have a scheme where if referred you get extra sign-on points, as does the referrer, so do ask me to refer you if you’re going to give it a whirl.

Last edited by BrightlyBob; Feb 2, 2019 at 12:40 am
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:21 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
My 10 Status nights posted overnight - taking me well over the 600 Lifetime needed for Lifetime Platinum.
nequine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.