Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How in the world are we supposed to double check our points?

Old Jan 30, 19, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.

Looking at my account, struggling to understand how we calculate and double check the points we are given.

+5,704 Points

(2,136 Base + 1,068 Elite + 2,500 Extra)

A CY in erie, with Platinum amenity and go green, along with the Megabonus in here too? Rate was $97 I think
Old Jan 30, 19, 11:37 am

The only one i bother to look at is the base. 2136 means your hotel spend (less taxes, fees, etc.) is $213.6. The elite is the multiplier. you are getting 50% more points on top. The extra is a black box. whatever promo, points instead of breakfast, etc. crap goes in there.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jan 30, 19, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Me too. I have also had a hard time figuring out how the system arrived at the numbers using the little info the website gives.

One tip: the make a green choice points often post separately, days later.

In your case, I assume the 2136 is for a bill that was $213.60 before tax, the elite is the bonus for being a platinum, the 500 is the welcome amenity and the 2000 is the current megabonus.

A second tip: I always ask the front desk how much the points are before choosing my welcome amenity. I cannot remember the amenity for 30 brands off the top of my head.
Old Jan 30, 19, 2:47 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP SPG PLAT
95%+ of my stays are billed in non $US so it is basically impossible to check as you can never be sure what currency conversion rate is being used. Back in the SPG days some hotels used some pretty outlandish conversion rates so I assume that is still occurring with Marriott but who knows.
Old Jan 30, 19, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
I'm completely frustrated by the lack of transparency on how points are posted. SPG was far more detailed. How have legacy Marriott customers accepted this?
Old Jan 30, 19, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Marriott is all about opacity. It's just what they do.
​​​​​​
Old Jan 30, 19, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post
How have legacy Marriott customers accepted this?
Maybe it's just not that important? As long as it's in the ballpark I expect, I simply don't worry about it.
kennycrudup and KRSW like this.
Old Jan 30, 19, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
My issue is also in the vagueness of the stay credits.

For 2019, I have received both a birthday elite night credit, and a Visa $3k spend elite night credit (yay January birthday). I also already have several stays adding up to additional elite night credits. The problem I have, is they don't add up and my total is short. But it is impossible to tell which are missing and which are there. Very frustrated that they can't even get the elite night credit total added up correctly.
Old Jan 30, 19, 8:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Maybe it's just not that important? As long as it's in the ballpark I expect, I simply don't worry about it.
This. Pre-Merger, in a decade of stays the only gross error I've ever had was when a stay in SEK got converted to points as if they were in USD (approx 7x) ... I just waited, and sure enough, the "extra" points were clawed back (as it should have been).

Pre-merger, once a stay credited- which sometimes if you had back-to-back reservations at the same property could take 10 days for the 2nd one to post- spot-checks showed they were correct enough- and I'd only had a missing stay maybe twice in a decade.
Old Jan 31, 19, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Because being shorted 500 points, over 100 nights is a ton of points
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Jan 31, 19, 5:44 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB Titanium
I urge anybody getting charged in non-USD currency to double check their base points for my five last stays charged in GBP I only got between 10% to 25% of the expected base points.
I also got 2K points for an award stay with zero charge to the room. 1K was welcome gift but the other 1K no idea what it was , stay was at Sheraton Stockholm charged in SEK.
Maybe I got points for the room rate MAR pays to the Hotel...who knows ...
Old Jan 31, 19, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by X-ON View Post
Maybe I got points for the room rate MAR pays to the Hotel...who knows ...
You pay the hotel. The hotel pays its franchise or management fee to Marriott later.

The main transaction where Marriott pays the hotel is award nights, in which case you don't earn "base points".
Old Jan 31, 19, 6:20 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB Titanium
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
You pay the hotel. The hotel pays its franchise or management fee to Marriott later.

The main transaction where Marriott pays the hotel is award nights, in which case you don't earn "base points".
Yes that is obvious ... what I meant is that some genius at MAR IT launched a version of production that translates award nights as a cash value depending on what MAR paid the Hotel ... in whatever case I got 1K points on an award stay (541 Base + 406 Elite + 1,000 Extra) that I shouldn't have been awarded.
Old Jan 31, 19, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post
I'm completely frustrated by the lack of transparency on how points are posted. SPG was far more detailed. How have legacy Marriott customers accepted this?
The unbelievable thing is their IT system is apparently 2 years old, so don't expect that it will be changing anytime soon. I remember someone on FT saying that it is "Cloud based" which is why it is so much better than what Starwood had. Yeah right.

OP, I keep a spreadsheet which I update every time I make a new reservation. I calculate the expected earnings from that stay, and then update it when it actually posts. It's the only way to make sure you aren't missing points if you have multiple stays that may take weeks to post.
KRSW and itsaboutthejourney like this.

Search this Thread