Denied Lounge Access

Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by Tanic
That's a recent BonvOY "enhancement". Until recently the MR policy was to grant tier benefits no matter how the room was booked. Wonder why there was no announcement?

why do you think????
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That's a recent BonvOY "enhancement".
No, it is not. The restriction has been in there since the new rules were published effective August 18, 2018. Has been much discussed in numerous other threads since.

While no doubt disappointing for those who regularly book through OTAs, it's no surprise. Marriott was the last major chain to grant benes on OTA rates. It's also understandable that they want to drive bookings through their own channels given how much more money they make that way.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's also understandable that they want to drive bookings through their own channels given how much more money they make that way.
I get that, but not all of us have a choice when it comes to work travel. I busted my rear for the last 12+ years to get LTPP, and this is how they treat their good customers.
Tanic, KRSW and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I get that, but not all of us have a choice when it comes to work travel. I busted my rear for the last 12+ years to get LTPP, and this is how they treat their good customers.
To repeat, corporate rates booked through a Marriott channel will normally include elite benefits. If yours doesn't, that's because your employer has negotiated a special rate that expressly excludes lounge access. Likewise, if your company is booking through an OTA, your beef is with them, not Marriott.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
No, it is not. The restriction has been in there since the new rules were published effective August 18, 2018.
Then it is recent.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:02 pm

Then it is recent.
It's not a "Bonvoy" change, nor is it "new" in the sense that it has not been the subject of extensive discussion already.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:23 pm

To repeat, corporate rates booked through a Marriott channel will normally include elite benefits. If yours doesn't, that's because your employer has negotiated a special rate that expressly excludes lounge access. Likewise, if your company is booking through an OTA, your beef is with them, not Marriott.
my beef is with Marriott because they used to allow elite benefits on ALL rates. Now they do not. Marriott changed the T&C. My company changed nothing.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
There is broad industry pressure across chains to drive people to book direct. It's not jut Marriott and not just driven at the corporate level.

And, there is plenty of discussion on here about Concur bookings that sometimes are direct bookings and others are contract rates tthrough OTA's and another thread on this issue.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ookings-2.html

I know this is a change for Marriott. There is how SPG worked before the acquisition, i.e., no elite perks on OTA bookings. More adverse impact from the SPGization of the MR program.

See also

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...917.1526509117
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:25 pm

It's not a "Bonvoy" change, nor is it "new" in the sense that it has not been the subject of extensive discussion already.
it is "new" in the sense that is was implemented less than 6 months ago. That is "new" to me, and "new" to those that do not have 36000 posts and frequent this website every minute of every day. No offense against those that choose to do so.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
my beef is with Marriott because they used to allow elite benefits on ALL rates. Now they do not. Marriott changed the T&C. My company changed nothing.
Well you are certainly entitled to that opinion, but I don't think you're going to get any satisfaction from Marriott (nor Hilton, nor Hyatt, nor IHG) if your company regularly books through OTAs.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SDLFlyer

Yes, I do get reimbursed for meals but having the lounge was nice as I use it as a quiet place to get work done. It was more of a surprise. I don’t think granting lounge access is a huge cost and many times public rates are lower than our company contracted rates.
One option is a private hotel room with a desk, internet, power points as a quiet place to get work done.
kilo and writerguyfl like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:34 pm

Well you are certainly entitled to that opinion, but I don't think you're going to get any satisfaction from Marriott (nor Hilton, nor Hyatt, nor IHG) if your company regularly books through OTAs.
what I stated is not opinion, it is fact.

And I agree that I am unlikely to get any satisfaction.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
My company has a contract rate with Marriott. Up until last night, I was always given lounge access as a Platinum Premier, but never point or night stay credit when staying on company business. Last night at the LGA Marriott I was denied lounge access for the first time ever and told that a new memo was sent to all hotels that only eligible rates may have any elite benefits.

This is a rather unfortunate turn of events and makes me less inclined to book any Bonvoy property when on my own dime.

Just an FYI
From the highlighted I assume that the lounge access denial is just an unfortunate extension of your previous experience not receiving point or night stay credits due to OTA booking. Assuming your corporate TA either negotiated something or is booking though 3rd channel.

Will echo other comments that this is definitely not a broad corporate rate change. All of my corporate travel is Concur layered on top of AMEXGBT and I continue to receive my status benefits (including lounge, points, stay credit, etc) on all my stays including travel last week.

Not a customer friendly change but not surprising - Hilton / SPG / IHG / Hyatt have had similar policies at least 2 years if not longer.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:33 pm

... but never point or night stay credit when staying on company business...
This makes me think:
- master billed rooms (was lounge access allowed on this before? Not sure)
- corporate rates that don’t earn points now considered non point eligible = no elite benefits. (ie airline rates)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
I agree we lack sufficient information about the rate that was used to draw conclusions or provide informed commentary. Under normal circumstances, a corporate rate, booked through Marriott booking channels, should count as a Qualifying Rate. Here are the stated exclusions:
vi. A voucher or third-party award was redeemed for the guest room.
Would I be mis-reading that to think it would include a Marriott "Free Night Award" or promo free night voucher? I certainly hope so!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.