Denied Lounge Access

Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: US/CO/AA/MR Plat
Denied Lounge Access

My company has a contract rate with Marriott. Up until last night, I was always given lounge access as a Platinum Premier, but never point or night stay credit when staying on company business. Last night at the LGA Marriott I was denied lounge access for the first time ever and told that a new memo was sent to all hotels that only eligible rates may have any elite benefits.

This is a rather unfortunate turn of events and makes me less inclined to book any Bonvoy property when on my own dime.

Just an FYI
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I have seen another thread where someone booked a very low rate that specifically said excluded elite benefits. Last year some time. Perhaps yours does too? Can't blame the property if the cost is so low that they'd lose money on the benefits. I understand your frustration but wouldnt any expenses be reimbursed?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I have seen another thread where someone booked a very low rate that specifically said excluded elite benefits. Last year some time. Perhaps yours does too? Can't blame the property if the cost is so low that they'd lose money on the benefits. I understand your frustration but wouldnt any expenses be reimbursed?
Yes, I do get reimbursed for meals but having the lounge was nice as I use it as a quiet place to get work done. It was more of a surprise. I don’t think granting lounge access is a huge cost and many times public rates are lower than our company contracted rates.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:44 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by SDLFlyer

Just an FYI
Unless someone else here is using your company rate, it's not particularly informative. In particular, many companies have enabled the use of Booking.com, Expedia and other OTA rates through Concur, and those rates have always been bereft of elite benefits.

Your beef seems to be with your company for cutting out even more benefits from their 2019 corporate rate, not Marriott.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Is there anyway to know if a particular corporate rate is not eligible for lounge access? To be honest, then only reason I stick with Marriott is due to the lounge access.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I agree we lack sufficient information about the rate that was used to draw conclusions or provide informed commentary. Under normal circumstances, a corporate rate, booked through Marriott booking channels, should count as a Qualifying Rate. Here are the stated exclusions:

2.1.f Non-Qualifying Rates. A “Non-Qualifying Rate” is a rate a Member pays for a Stay in a guest room at a Participating Property which does not qualify to earn Points or Miles, as well as membership tier benefits. Non-Qualifying Rates are those booked using the following methods:

i. The guest room was booked through a tour operator, online travel channel or other third-party channel including, without limitation, expedia.com, hotwire.com, priceline.com, orbitz.com, booking.com, travelocity.com; or

ii. The guest room was booked at a group rate as part of an event, meeting, conference or organized tour, and the Member does not directly pay the Participating Property for such room; or

iii. The guest room was booked at a tour operator, wholesaler, or crew room rate or package including, without limitation, Fam-Tastic® rates, Plan-Tastic® rates, travel industry rates and organized tours or package bookings; or

iv. The guest room was booked at the Company employee or friends and family rate or the Company business rate; or

v. The guest room was complimentary; or

vi. A voucher or third-party award was redeemed for the guest room.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
this is a fairly recent, very customer-unfriendly change to the T&C.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by SDLFlyer

many times public rates are lower than our company contracted rates.
I was told on Monday by a FDA at a legacy Starwood property that Marriott's practice is to always charge the lower of the public rate or the company contracted rate, even if you are booked on company business. Starwood never did this.

Sure enough, my rates for this Wed night and Thurs night are markedly lower than my corporate rate, due to the Fri public holiday where I am.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
It appears OP's beef should be with his/her company's travel department or whoever negotiates the company rate with Marriott. That person/department is responsible for what is and what is not included in the company rate. The T&C is clear and if a deviation from the T&C is desired then that should be negotiated in the company rate with Marriott.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
this is a fairly recent, very customer-unfriendly change to the T&C.
I don't think there has been a material change to the T&C on qualifying rates. Travel rates, OTA's. company meetings, etc. haven't been earning points for a long time. For example, if I travel with an airline friend and use an eligible airline rate, I don't get credit. As others have noted, some rooms booked through Concur or corporate travel portals are qualifying rates and some aren't.

But ... I get lounge access regardless. I was at a group paid company meeting last month at a Marriott property and was given lounge access.

This may have either been an FDA mistake or a very specific rate.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I don't think there has been a material change to the T&C on qualifying rates. Travel rates, OTA's. company meetings, etc. haven't been earning points for a long time. For example, if I travel with an airline friend and use an eligible airline rate, I don't get credit. As others have noted, some rooms booked through Concur or corporate travel portals are qualifying rates and some aren't.

But ... I get lounge access regardless. I was at a group paid company meeting last month at a Marriott property and was given lounge access.

This may have either been an FDA mistake or a very specific rate.
It appears you should not get lounge access. It is very clear in the T&C posted above that paying a non-qualifying rate "does not qualify to earn Points or Miles, as well as membership tier benefits." (emphasis added).
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by controller1
It appears you should not get lounge access. It is very clear in the T&C posted above that paying a non-qualifying rate "does not qualify to earn Points or Miles, as well as membership tier benefits." (emphasis added).
Hmmm ... missed that language.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
The Desk Clerk was a jerk..they can be like GA sometimes,

Must have had a bad day...
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Unless someone else here is using your company rate, it's not particularly informative. In particular, many companies have enabled the use of Booking.com, Expedia and other OTA rates through Concur, and those rates have always been bereft of elite benefits.

Your beef seems to be with your company for cutting out even more benefits from their 2019 corporate rate, not Marriott.
That is exactly why I posted it as an FYI. I will definitely check with our corporate travel department - but apparently they are considered a third party in paragraph one of the exclusions. I was just pointing out that this property and apparently all properties have been directed to enforce this restriction. I also have booked rooms on Expedia and other mainstream travel sites and have received Plat benefits. It should be noted that not just Priceline and Hotwire rates exlude Plat benefits. You technically can be denied by booking a publically available rate on Oribtz or Expedia - at least that is the way I read Paragraph 1.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by controller1
That's a recent BonvOY "enhancement". Until recently the MR policy was to grant tier benefits no matter how the room was booked. Wonder why there was no announcement?
KRSW likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.