Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moving points between accounts (General Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
Latest Rules (taken from Marriott Rewards T&Cs): https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#earn

Transferring Points from One Account to Another

2.8.a. In accordance with the conditions for transferring Points as described in Section 1.6.c., a Member can transfer up to a maximum of 100,000 Points per calendar year to another Membership Account as long as both Accounts are in good standing and have each been open for at least sixty (60) days. A Member can receive up to a maximum of 500,000 Points per calendar year from other Membership Accounts as long as the Accounts are in good standing and have each been open for at least sixty (60 days).

2.8.b. A new Member may receive a Points Transfer thirty (30) days after enrollment if the Account reflects activity including a Qualifying Stay or other qualifying activity as described in Section 1.6.d. After ninety (90) days from enrollment, a new Member is eligible to receive a Points Transfer regardless of their account activity.

2.8.c. Authorization to transfer Points must be initiated by the Account holder with the Points to be transferred by contacting Member Support. The Account holder requesting the transfer must provide the Membership Number of the Points recipient at the time of the Point transfer request.

2.8.d. Once the authorization for transfer is received and processed, the transferor relinquishes all rights to the transferred Points, and they become the recipient’s Points.

2.8.e. Miles and Elite Night Credit cannot be transferred between Membership Accounts.
Print Wikipost

Moving points between accounts (General Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
The idea that this has to be done by phone in 2019 is just insane.
agreed. Hilton can do it for years and even the Marriott page has been suggesting this is an option for years ... but it is not. Just not very high on their list to implement I guess.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by cfischer
agreed. Hilton can do it for years and even the Marriott page has been suggesting this is an option for years ... but it is not. Just not very high on their list to implement I guess.
It seems like something that should be real easy to implement though. They even used to have this with SPG. I feel like it almost has to be intentional. Why? I don't know. Maybe to discourage the practice without expressly disallowing it?
Old May 14, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
How long for points to transfer to spouse?

I called earlier today to transfer 100,000 points from wife's account to mine (she was on the call with me). Miraculously -- so it seemed -- the whole call took less than 3 minutes, and the agent confirmed the transfer, concluding by telling us both of our new account balances, which were correct.

The 100k were immediately deducted from wife's account, but they have not yet appeared in my account.

Any data points on how long this might take? (My main concern is that if, for some reason, they were supposed to post instantly and instead they were sent to the wrong account or something, a wrongdoer could spend them, etc., etc., and I wouldn't trust Marriott to be able to sort it out.)
Old May 14, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I called earlier today to transfer 100,000 points from wife's account to mine (she was on the call with me). Miraculously -- so it seemed -- the whole call took less than 3 minutes, and the agent confirmed the transfer, concluding by telling us both of our new account balances, which were correct.

The 100k were immediately deducted from wife's account, but they have not yet appeared in my account.

Any data points on how long this might take? (My main concern is that if, for some reason, they were supposed to post instantly and instead they were sent to the wrong account or something, a wrongdoer could spend them, etc., etc., and I wouldn't trust Marriott to be able to sort it out.)
My last two transfers have taken around 5 days. Points were deducted immediately but it took about 5 days for them to appear in my spouse’s account.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
My last two transfers have taken around 5 days. Points were deducted immediately but it took about 5 days for them to appear in my spouse’s account.
Thanks. Mine ended up taking about 12 hours.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:12 am

Combining points

folks - can 3 family members transfer all their points to the 4th family member and are there any drawbacks to doing this. Just looking to do it for convenience and booking stays off one account. Per their rules, 100k points can be transferred but not sure of any limitations with number of source accounts to a single target account getting all points. I may also land up transferring from this 4th account to an airline potentially in the future

Also, do the transfers impact expiry dates of those points of the 4th family members's account - I know points expire upon 24 months of inactivity

thanks
Old May 29, 2019, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by sam007
folks - can 3 family members transfer all their points to the 4th family member and are there any drawbacks to doing this. Just looking to do it for convenience and booking stays off one account. Per their rules, 100k points can be transferred but not sure of any limitations with number of source accounts to a single target account getting all points. I may also land up transferring from this 4th account to an airline potentially in the future

Also, do the transfers impact expiry dates of those points of the 4th family members's account - I know points expire upon 24 months of inactivity

thanks
anybody?
Old May 29, 2019, 6:38 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
As you have noted there is a limit of 100K transferred per account. The Marriott Rewards T&Cs do state "A Member can receive up to a maximum of 500,000 Points per calendar year from other Membership Accounts". So you should be able to transfer up to 100K each (total of 300K) from the other 3 family member accounts. So you should be able to do so without any major issues and still have room to receive more points from different accounts.

Not sure AM (i.e. after merger) but historically, point transfers haven't updated the expiration clock. But do note that redeeming points for awards does update the clock. So if you move all those points into a single account, just make sure that at least once every 24 months the owner of that account either does something to earn points or uses some points for an award. Also, if that account has a Lifetime elite level, then I do believe the points expiration may not apply, but not sure if that is still a rule or not. So don't hold me to that one.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:01 am

Transferring more than 100k points to other accounts?

Hey everyone

I have higher Bonvoy status than my other half does, and I want to make reward redemption bookings from my account to reap the benefits. OH has more than 100k points, but I understand only 100k can be transferred in any given year. How do I go about using my OH's remaining points to book under my name / account tier?
  1. Is there a way to exceed these 100k transfers in a year? Is it a calendar year?
  2. Can I book from my OH's account on points, and somehow add MY bonvoy number to it, effectively raising the status booking?
  3. On a separate note, my OH has just triggered the required spend on a Marriott Bonvoy credit card with Chase, and is soon to receive more points. I'm an additional (free) cardholder on the account. Is there anyway to change the marriott bonvoy membership to have those transferred to me instead of my OH? I know Amex does this if you have a supplementary card.
Tx all for your help!!!

G

Does anyone know of a way to exceed the 100k points transfer from
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:33 am

Transfer point limitation to pay for points advance reservation?

We have a points advance reservation but need to transfer points from my spouse to pay for 100% of the reservation. Can you transfer 140,000 points from a spouse to pay for a points advance reservation?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tkl1992
We have a points advance reservation but need to transfer points from my spouse to pay for 100% of the reservation. Can you transfer 140,000 points from a spouse to pay for a points advance reservation?
yes, usually. Get both of you on the phone when you call MR; I have done it before and it was not a problem, just took a while to get it done.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
yes, usually. Get both of you on the phone when you call MR; I have done it before and it was not a problem, just took a while to get it done.
Isn't there a limit of 100k per year to be transferred out of a members account but any member can receive 500k per year? If that's the case only 100k can be transferred from the members spouse account....
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:01 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IrishStephen
Isn't there a limit of 100k per year to be transferred out of a members account but any member can receive 500k per year?...
You are correct. And I haven't heard any anecdotal evidence that Marriott has continued a "family member" exception allowing more than 100K per year from a single account. So I'm guessing 100K from any account is the true limit now, but I'm willing to be corrected by others if I'm wrong.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
How long ago? SPG used to allow unlimited transfers between family members living at same address. I thought that was gone and it's 100K points now.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 8:28 am

Just got off the phone and points moved instantly from one to the other account and were available for use immediately in the second account. Phone call also took just few minutes confirming MB numbers, email and date of last stay, amount to transfer and we were done.
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.