Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Unconfirmed] rumor : Bonvoy titanium to get more benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Unconfirmed] rumor : Bonvoy titanium to get more benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hhoope01
<snip>I'd say they focus their rewards program on other things than just elite benefits during a hotel stay.
Such as?

Regards
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1973 Ford Pinto
You don't get "guaranteed suite upgrades".

You get suite upgrades if available.

SNAs clear (up to) 5 days in advance (in theory), not at time of arrival/check-in.
Yes, but I meant "guaranteed suite upgrades if available": As post 1 (which I quoted in the post you replied to) said:

Originally Posted by zc881018
I don't know what this comes from but someone told me that premium platinum(AKA the titanium in the Bonvoy) will get complimentary breakfast in the Ritz-Carlton properties after the new program name have been activated and guaranteed for the suite upgrade if available in all of Marriott properties..
Right now, lots of people with PP status don't get upgrades even when they are available (for example, many hotels give them to their frequent guests, rather than to Marriott program elites necessarily), so SNAs make sense to "force" the upgrade.

But if they switch to Titaniums having truly "guaranteed" upgrades as long as they're available, that situation of not getting upgrades even when the upgrade is available should vanish for Titaniums , and what would be the benefit of SNAs then? That's what I was asking. In other words, as phrased by post 1, the rumored change in benefits seem to be almost "automatic SNAs applied on every stay" for Titaniums, not just 5 (or 10) a year.

And remember, this thread is about a rumor, so what is actually practice regarding upgrades for PPs is irrelevant to this thread.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 29, 2019 at 6:39 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
You forgot language ... You get suite upgrades if available and the property is willing to comply with the T&C rather than leave them empty."

For example, I was at a legacy SPG property on Saturday with several suites, they would upgrade me to a One Bedroom Suite for $200, even though I am PPE+A and a repeat guest at the property.

In the legacy Marriott world, pre 8/18, many (but not all) legacy Marriott properties prioritized legacy Plat Premier guests (a very different level than the current PPE) for suite upgrades and I was often upgraded to nice suites before arrival.

I'm hoping that the new levels which are easier to distinguish will return to the pre 8/18 days of identifying the best customers and prioritizing them before arrival.
You should reach out to your Ambassador or write Marriot regarding that. Quote the T&C’s. See if you can get your $200/night refunded. I would be curious to see what they did. I doubt anything, but still curious.

Regarding breakfast. I think the Courtyard “breakfast” is a complete joke. We give you a $10/day voucher.. eggs, bacon & a coffe at the bistro is $12+. So they don’t even give you enough for a real breakfast. Meanwhile, Hilton’s direct competition the Hilton Gardens, they give you either points or a free breakfast voucher. That gets you a real breakfast & coffee. Courtyard really needs to go to a choice of A) Points B) Breakfast voucher (includes drink, eggs, meat, fruit) or C) $10/day voucher at the bistro.

The RC’s maybe (doubtful) going to guaranteed room upgrades for Tataniums. That would mimic Hilton’s Waldorf. Their diamonds are guaranteed a room upgrade, or they’re given 1000 points for the stay if none are available. I stayed at the Grand Waliea in Maui, used points to get 3 rooms. All 3 rooms were upgraded, very nice perk!

But more than anything is Marriott’s garbage of making you still pay for the resort fee when you book on points. Seriously, include that into your points redemption numbers.
Then, when you do pay for the resort fee (or parking fee) (or destination fee), well that doesn’t count towards earning points. Come on, I get not getting points on taxes, but those fees are direct profits, give us points for that. We are choosing nicer properties and paying the fees, reward us for it. Or at least don’t make us turn around and pay the same resort fee when we do use points. I mean might as well make every hotel $50/night + $150 resort fee.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SNAs get you a confirmed suite at T-5 (if available). Being high tier elite only means that you get a suite later if it's available at check in (or pragmatically at may properties, when rooms are assigned), so you don't know until close to arrival and moreover the hotel could hypothetically "sell" "your" suite from T-5 to your arrival time. Moreover, in many properties, SNAs give the option fo getting some higher category suites than what are available in the Plat+ free upgrade pool.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Positively Brilliant! I don't think anyone's even considered the market value or relative merits of metals, etc, up until now, so hopefully we can launch straight into that as a new avenue for public debate.
no... you're just not in either a financials or industrial field. for those of us who are, it was literally our FIRST thought! there is a reason why diamond is often the top tier name- in the regular non-bizarro marriott world, the logic of naming your top tier after the most expensive is pretty much a given.

btw, my SECOND though was that they purposely named it titanium as a tell- to let us know in advance that, sometime soon, our vaunted 'titanium' status is, in fact, going to be worth far less than our old platinum,...
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
no... you're just not in either a financials or industrial field. for those of us who are, it was literally our FIRST thought! there is a reason why diamond is often the top tier name- in the regular non-bizarro marriott world, the logic of naming your top tier after the most expensive is pretty much a given.

btw, my SECOND though was that they purposely named it titanium as a tell- to let us know in advance that, sometime soon, our vaunted 'titanium' status is, in fact, going to be worth far less than our old platinum,...
I would hear more of this. And what of those commercials that PROVE
the superior strength of Charmin (Essentials) over the other leading brand? Should not they have considered a co-branding type of approach which leverages the irrefutable strength of Charmin (Elite?) over any other metal know to bumkind??

Last edited by CCIE_Flyer; Jan 29, 2019 at 11:22 pm
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
IHG hates its elites, including its top-level spire elites.

Marriott's competitors are Hilton and Hyatt, not IHG.
As hockeyinsider told, Obviously I was talking about "comparable" rewards systems (Hilton, Marriott/Spg, Hatt, maybe ShangriLa and Radisson Rewards)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Digging up a couple week old thread to just say that I doubt there will be any short term (e.g. within the next three months) hard T&C benefit changes, because there'd be outrage.

Enter the days before the merger, SPG has no 75 night lifetime level and 75/100 are really incremental (and not visible to the front desk). MR has a 75 night lifetime level and a secret 100+ night level with no published criteria. They give an overly generous status match of SPG Gold (25 nights/10 stays) to MR Gold (50 nights) and SPG Plat (50 nights/25 stays) to MR Plat (75 nights). Merger comes around and all sides are sensitive. MR decides to keep the old Rewards program name temporarily during the transition. The old names (Silver/Gold/Plat) are kept so none of the SPG elites get "downgraded" (old SPG Gold -> New MR Gold, old SPG Plat, new MR plat) including lifetime mapping. Cue outrage from SPG Elites that old MR Plats get a new 75 night tier (Plat Premier and lifetime if criteria met), MR submits and comes up with an alternate way to get one shot at LTPP by qualifying 750 nights + 10 years at plat by end of 2018 to give SPG elites a bite of the apple. Outrage subsides.

So now we merge with a rocky IT merger between SPG and MR to new MR and the FDC clerks at both MR properties (not realizing the new codes/mapping) and the SPG properties using Lightspeed (which only reflected the 50 night level, hence why 75/100+$20K spend levels were Platinum Premier and Platinum Premier with ambassador - all of them at SPG properties are greeted by FDC as platinum).

Hard benefits are largely the same, 48 hour guarantee PP room @ rackrate is driven by reservations/Marriott.com, bonus points percentages are backend, and an ambassador just picks up the phone or emails the hotel. For the 50 night (particularly lifetime) elites, there aren't many hard benefits advantages to going to 75 or 100 that they did not have before (namely the points bonus thresholds were matched from old program).

So now MR has a rocky IT merger out of the way (and the embarrassment of the Starwood data breach incident). Many SPG properties have now migrated off the old Starwood reservations system/Lightspeed PMS to MARSHA/Opera PMS that will reflect statuses above 50 night plat properly to FDC. Benefits changes have had time for hotels to get used to, MR wants to dump the Rewards/SPG names in favor of something divorced from the merger troubles - enter Bonvoy. Now that other benefits changes have circulated and levels above 50 nights can reflect properly at the SPG side front desk, the next step is to set them apart in name, to train FDC that there's a difference. But hey, no benefits changes:
Originally Posted by God Save the Points
Naturally, all travel loyalty news sends people into a state of panic. Marriott Bonvoy has pledged not to make any program benefit changes from the August 18′ update, but does promise to bring new innovation and benefits as the year progresses. The only immediately felt change will be in the form of names. Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite replaces Platinum Premier Elite and Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite will replace Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador.
So no worries for the 25/50 night (current or lifetime) elites, nothing is being taken away or newly given to the harder to attain (current)/impossible to attain (lifetime) higher ranks- it's just a rebrand. To the front desk clerks, they can now get used to addressing people by the new rank names for 75/100 - to recognize that there is a difference between 75+ and 100+ night + 20K spending elites from the 50 night level of plat.

Once you get all of the SPG properties off the Starwood Reservations system onto MARSHA (where all properties can tell the difference), hubbub over the rebrand dies down, and properties get used to the existence of the different ranks - then you go in for any benefits enhancements/reductions. Bury it in the fine print, less attention to the details then if they were bundled in the rebrand, properties now aware of addressing the newly renamed elite levels properly.

Short version: Don't expect any benefits changes on Feb 13th with Bonvoy because MR has stated that there will not be any. The difference in names (Titanium/Ambassador instead of Plat/Plat Premier/Plat Premier with Ambassador) may help soft/subjective property treatment in the short term, but nothing guaranteed by the T&C.
Later in 2019- nothing is confirmed, everything is possible, and I would wager (personal opinion, no inside sources or documentation) that benefit changes are likely in later 2019.
SacTownGuy likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:31 pm
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by zc881018
I don't know what this comes from but someone told me that premium platinum(AKA the titanium in the Bonvoy) will get complimentary breakfast in the Ritz-Carlton properties after the new program name have been activated and guaranteed for the suite upgrade if available in all of Marriott properties.

At least, I've already got 2 bedrooms suites upgraded these days in Residence inn and TownePlace.
i don’t believe there will be any significant new benefits for titanium members. What is more likely to happen is that regular platinum members (myself included) will gradually see our benefits reduced, ie no lounge access or breakfast, no suite upgrades etc. Marriott would not downgrade the platinum status in its first 18 months but will sneakily chip away at benefits over time. Sorry there are just too many elites within the program. What is interesting is that the most discussed hotels are mainly ex spg st Regis Maldives, w hotels, luxury collection properties. These are the coveted hotels where everyone will be after an upgrade, not Fairfield or courtyard properties in small town USA! I hope I am wrong, maybe they will reduce the benefits on redemptions only which would suit me to the ground as my stays are all cash as I send my points airline programs. Nothing would surprise me
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Later in 2019- nothing is confirmed, everything is possible, and I would wager (personal opinion, no inside sources or documentation) that benefit changes are likely in later 2019.
I don't see Marriott making any negative changes to the loyalty terms in 2019, especially considering they have changed the award-redemption chart pricing four times in 14 months. If they did more changes it would result in customers leaving for Hyatt or Hilton because while Marriott is within its right to change the program whenever it wants there needs to stability and you can't have that if everything is always changing.

I'm really hoping the dynamic pricing is a flop and Marriott has to change it or end it. Up to 100,000 points per night for properties is absurd.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical

When I first heard that Bonvoy would include Titanium, my first thought was that they were going to shuffle everything back up a level. So it would go Titanium - Silver - Gold - Platinum. We'd all be Platinums again, like we were in both Marriott and Starwood (with Plat 100 as they need it).

I didn't expect that the *top* would be Titanium. That's kind of funny to me, but I guess it doesn't matter. (Titanium is worth about 2 bucks an ounce, IIRC.)
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fdem

i don’t believe there will be any significant new benefits for titanium members. What is more likely to happen is that regular platinum members (myself included) will gradually see our benefits reduced, ie no lounge access or breakfast, no suite upgrades etc. Marriott would not downgrade the platinum status in its first 18 months but will sneakily chip away at benefits over time.

While you may be correct, taking away lounge access would be a significant reduction. Marriott 50 nighters (old Gold, now Platinum) always had lounge access. I think they'd potentially lose a lot of high-value business travleers to Hilton or just to free agency if they did this. Not to mention the LT Platinums...lounge access is the most significant benefit we get in my opinion.
tomwhom and GoldenItalianBoy like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I don't see Marriott making any negative changes to the loyalty terms in 2019, especially considering they have changed the award-redemption chart pricing four times in 14 months. If they did more changes it would result in customers leaving for Hyatt or Hilton because while Marriott is within its right to change the program whenever it wants there needs to stability and you can't have that if everything is always changing.

I'm really hoping the dynamic pricing is a flop and Marriott has to change it or end it. Up to 100,000 points per night for properties is absurd.
I'm equally disappointed in the award chart particularly the on-peak/standard/peak rates and category changes.

No, I don't see it as likely that erosion of benefits before EOY, but enhancements, which may take the form of codifying upgrade priority a higher for Titanium and Ambassador. You could call that a potential demotion for plats but they'd still technically be eligible for upgrades including select suites.
Or something like free parking (at properties that charge for self-park) for Titanium/Ambassador. Again, not taking a benefit away from anyone, just granting a new one.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
It would have made the most sense to do:

Base
Bronze
Silver
Gold
Platinum
Diamond (or Ambassador)
LuoboTiX likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JBord
While you may be correct, taking away lounge access would be a significant reduction. Marriott 50 nighters (old Gold, now Platinum) always had lounge access. I think they'd potentially lose a lot of high-value business travleers to Hilton or just to free agency if they did this. Not to mention the LT Platinums...lounge access is the most significant benefit we get in my opinion.
Access to *some* kind of breakfast is a substantial benefit. Removing that from the 50-night tier would almost certainly push people to Hilton or Hyatt.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if Marriott follows the Hilton model of removing *lounge* from the guarantee. I spent a couple years as HH Gold under that model, and it sometimes worked for you, sometimes against you. Domestically, the restaurant is often better than the lounge. Internationally, the lounges are usually better.

I can't tell where Marriott wants to go with their lounges. Some of them are pretty lame and you can tell the property doesn't even want to deal with a lounge, and at other properties they're actually building out newer, better lounges. Even Sheraton, which has some truly awful lounges, also has done some nice renovations to them in recent years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.