Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Points being Deducted 15 days out for Reward Stays now?!?

Old Jan 26, 19, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Was just taking screen shots of my reservations proving how many points each required based on others feedback and I saw this:

Great! You’ve earned all the points you need.

Deduct your points now for your stay, or we’ll automatically take care of this for you 15 days prior to your arrival.
Old Jan 26, 19, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Well it’s nice that you are given a choice now. I booked a stay for this June in October of last year and points came immediately out. Thought that was the norm?
Old Jan 26, 19, 8:52 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12 View Post
I booked a stay for this June in October of last year and points came immediately out. Thought that was the norm?
Think that it is (at least in my experience) when you already have sufficient points in your account. Sounds as if OP may have made a booking with insufficient funds in the bank at the time of booking and later earned the points. I fail to see what the problem might be with a 15-day advance withdrawal, and I think a lot of folks feel as though bookings shouldn't be allowed in the first place unless they can be fully funded (reduces award availability for those with the currency in their pockets).
Old Jan 26, 19, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I have a stay coming up (that I'm going to cancel as won't be able to make trip). I booked it being short of the points needed (still short, but would have them before the 1-week mark). Here's the message on my reservation, which is a new message:

"If you do not have sufficient points to use for a Rewards Redemption intended to be paid with 15 days prior to your reservation, Marriott Rewards reserves the right to cancel your reservation. See Terms & Conditions. Great! You have all the points you need (that part isn't true unless it's basing it on the per night cost of a 5-night stay). You may cancel your reservation for no charge until xx (1 day before arrival)"

If I was short but then had the amount needed I wouldn't have a problem w/ them taking the points out at the 15-day mark. In the past you had to have them 7 days out or your reservation could be canceled. Given Marriott (for now) still allows one to book stays w/o having points which is a really nice bennie, them saying ante up at 15 days to me isn't a biggie. I should note that I do not make multiple speculative award reservations/don't abuse the benefit.

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 19, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
I should note that I do not make multiple speculative award reservations/don't abuse the benefit.
I think that's the key thing, and probably no one who truly has a plan mapped out with known points-earning stays (or other means) to get from here to there will care in the least if point are withdrawn all of 15 days out. Just doesn't feel like a legitimate beef to me, more like looking a gift horse in the mouth (to round out the animal analogies).
boss315 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 19, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

The beef is that when I booked the reservation it said 1 week. Marriott has once again changed terms without ANY notice or a simple email stating the new policy. That is completely unacceptable in my book. Unethical too.

Could you imagine if you got your reservation cancelled b/c of this? All you did was follow the rules and they cancel a reservation bc they changed the policy and didn't notify anyone. I hope someone benefits from this post and isn't burned.

15 days is long enough fine....but why not tell people who ALREADY have reservations booked? Had I not been making screen shots of my reservation I would have NEVER Known about it. Part of me feels Marriott is doing whatever they can to making booking in advance as difficult as possible. Look at all the recent threads with problems mentioned. Starwood didn't have this perk and they must be getting grief from Starwood hotels is my guess.
Old Jan 26, 19, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by jr1202sr View Post
Could you imagine if you got your reservation cancelled b/c of this?
I hadn't considered that angle - good point.
Old Jan 26, 19, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Simple - Marriott is not an ethical company. They act like a monopolist & that their customers are a nuisance.
Old Jan 26, 19, 3:44 pm

Marriott should get rid of the points advance option and be done with it... no more speculative bookings (and threads like these although the pitchforks will be out on this “devaluation”...)

having said that, previously booked should be honored as is or with notice.
Old Jan 26, 19, 4:25 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL CCR/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Starriott PPE, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
I see both sides of the coin, personally I have no issue paying the points 15 days out. That said, there was no notice prior on this.

I actually tried to pay the points forward (420,000) via the link inviting me to do so even earlier as I had enough points..... but the link was down.....

"Great! You’ve earned all the points you need.

Deduct your points now for your stay, or we’ll automatically take care of this for you 15 days prior to your arrival."

Last edited by Beano HK; Jan 26, 19 at 4:27 pm Reason: insert quote

Search this Thread
Search Engine: