Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Point Advance for future bookings (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Point Advance for future bookings (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I booked a room last spring using Points Advance. The rate went up with the merger, and a simple phone call to CS got me the originally booked rate in under 3 minutes.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:13 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I use the print option to generate a PDF confirmation for point advance bookings and export to PDF. Has helped me prove the original rate in the past.
I was going to ask if a screenshot would suffice as proof.

LAX
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by LAX
I was going to ask if a screenshot would suffice as proof.

LAX
The fact that we have to do this is beyond wrong. There isn't a better example of the cluster that Marriott has become.

Arne- REALLY?!?!?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Mahasamatman seems to think that OP is dealing with this situation:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-points.html

But to go from 440,000 pts to 1,725,000 pts implies more than just a category change.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by margarita girl
But to go from 440,000 pts to 1,725,000 pts implies more than just a category change.
But the fact that the OP had to go from 440K to 550K could easily be explained by the category change.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott
This is why I screenshot or "print as pdf" every reservation. It's the best proof you can get with a points advance reservation.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
I had a 3 night points-advance reservation for an upgraded lounge access suite at Sheraton Sydney go from 141K to 225K.
I checked and had no confirmation email, called in all prepared for a fight since I had no proof.
While on hold I re-checked availability and found I could book it again for the original 141K so I did and took a screenshot and clicked the email button.
Followed through with call and the agent fixed the original.. Had to ask for my confirmation number 4X as his system kept 'resetting' (how comforting)
I cancelled the fixed reservation after the call since I had a new one.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:49 pm

Marriott needs to get rid of the whole points advance nonsense... or at least limit it to one per account at any given time (but that will take too much IT skills )
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
But the fact that the OP had to go from 440K to 550K could easily be explained by the category change.
Now, I just have to figure out how to get another 100K points between now and November. Already purchased max points of my account and my wife's.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
There isn't a better example of the cluster that Marriott has become.
This is not something new to the merger. Anyone who thinks Marriott has only just now become a cluster #%$! must not have many experiences with Marriott in the past

Originally Posted by myperks
Marriott needs to get rid of the whole points advance nonsense... or at least limit it to one per account at any given time (but that will take too much IT skills )
Actually they don't need to do that. People complaining about the feature should either ignore it, learn to leverage it, or find a program that better suits their needs.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am surprised that no one seems to use the PRINT function on Marriott site once you have made the reservation?

Here is what I do, for any reservation whether it is revenue or point, incl the Point Advance type,

1) Before finalize the booking, make a screen shot of the Rate Details - you can adjust the View size to make the whole thing fit into one screen, then you can save it and as a JPG/PNG file.
The screen would not allow you to do Print Screen from the browser, therefore a PDF file. However your screen capture app should be able to print a PDF from it, on top of the JPG/PNG file.

2) Once the booking is made, go back to My Trips, use the View/Modify button to pull up the reservation - on the right upper corner there is a Print button. Use that, and it will generate a popup similar to the Rate Details - except for some properties it would come up 3 identical "pages" while most would just come up one "page".
The screen is self-titled as Stay Details - it has all the essentials - Reservation Number, Property Name, Check in / Check out dates, Guests, Rate and Cancellation Policy.
Then you do the same procedure to save a JPG/PNG file.

I think this should be good enough as proof of the reservation made.

I also email myself the reservation which is a reminder to myself, but not good enough as a proof.

The Stay Details screen shot should be a good enough proof though.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:11 pm

Points Advance and cancel 30 days

How does points advance work if the hotel has a policy that if cancelled less than 30 days before arrival you will be charged the full rate?

What if I don't get all the points I need and the reservation is cancelled- do I get charged for the room?

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until February 22, 2019 (30 day[s] before arrival).
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:09 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I do believe when you make even a rewards reservation you have to provide a CC for that reservation. I would guess, if the rate rules state you will be charged some amount if you cancel less than 30 days out, your CC will be charged that amount should you do so.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I do believe when you make even a rewards reservation you have to provide a CC for that reservation. I would guess, if the rate rules state you will be charged some amount if you cancel less than 30 days out, your CC will be charged that amount should you do so.
SPG gave people the option to pay the penalties with points instead of money, but I don't know the new Starriott/Bonvoy policy on this. OTOH, if the norm is to charge in money, the amount should be stated in the reservation and not be some amorphous rack rate to be determined by the hotel on the planned date of arrival.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:34 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
SPG gave people the option to pay the penalties with points instead of money, but I don't know the new Starriott/Bonvoy policy on this...
Let me be the first then to advise that this policy no longer exists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.