Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

May I suggest Mods to recategorize subforums by brands under Marriott Bonvoy?

May I suggest Mods to recategorize subforums by brands under Marriott Bonvoy?

Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
i would like to see less bonvoy. Instead of "marriott bonvoy hotels in new york", why not just "hotels in new york". We are in the marriott forum after all.
YES, please!
margarita girl and nequine like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Antarius
If we have to subforum, IMO, it could be Program and Properties. The former for rewards program issues, the latter for discussions on the hotel itself
If it ever really becomes necessary to split the forum, I could see a subforum for only those topics that deal with a single hotel, such as "Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers (master thread)." With 6,700+ hotels, there could be that many property-specific topics, especially now that so many property-specific topics have been created for select-service branded hotels, such as specific AC Hotels and MOXY properties.

Otherwise, the problem with trying to spit Program and Properties (plural) is that so many topics deal with the intersection of the two, such as how some properties deal with an elite benefit or which properties in a particular city are the best use of points.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Horace
The old naming convention (example: "Marriott Family Hotels in San Francisco") has always been confusing. Such threads appear to address the needs of families with children. Of course, the intent was to refer to all hotels in the Marriott "family" of brands.
For the geographic areas I'm familiar with, the naming convention has always been "Marriott-family hotels in XXX" not "Marriott Family." Any confusion about the nature of those threads seems related to the reader's English comprehension, not the thread itself.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
For the geographic areas I'm familiar with, the naming convention has always been "Marriott-family hotels in XXX" not "Marriott Family." Any confusion about the nature of those threads seems related to the reader's English comprehension, not the thread itself.
Beltway2A,

Good point. You are correct. I have now edited my post.

The moderators seem to have determined that "Marriott Bonvoy hotels" is more meaningful. I agree with them.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Just being pedantic but is not Bonvoy the Rewards Program(me) and not the hotels? They will still be Marriott, Sheraton etc and I'm not sure that Bonvoy is a hotel brand at all. Therefore, there is no such thing as a Bonvoy hotel.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Bonvoy in the thread titles is the very definition of S.U.P.E.R.F.L.U.O.U.S. It is borderline "Extra".

Please stop.

What is wrong with Marriott hotels in XXXXXXXX.

What sane person would google Bonvoy Paris/London/Hanoi Hotels?

Just trying to say that word Bonvoy makes me think I am having a stroke.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
Bonvoy in the thread titles is the very definition of S.U.P.E.R.F.L.U.O.U.S. It is borderline "Extra".
Agreed.

Bonvoy is the name of a frequent traveler program, not the hotel chain. There is no such thing as a Bonvoy Hotel any more than there was a Marriott Rewards Hotel or a Starwood Preferred Guest Hotel. There was Marriott and SPG (and RC). Now there's Marriott.

One Forum
Minimal Sticky Threads
Marriott Hotel names

Don't over-think and over-complicate this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Fizzer
Just being pedantic but is not Bonvoy the Rewards Program(me) and not the hotels? They will still be Marriott, Sheraton etc and I'm not sure that Bonvoy is a hotel brand at all. Therefore, there is no such thing as a Bonvoy hotel.
Even long before Marriott acquired Starwood, it was common to refer to SPG hotels

SPG, the abbreviation and logo for Starwood Preferred Guest, was never a hotel brand. But "SPG hotels" was a meaningful way to refer to hotels that participated in SPG.

Same thing with Marriott Bonvoy hotels (or just Bonvoy hotels for short).

Bonvoy will soon be the brand for the loyalty program for 29 of Marriott International's 30 official brands.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
What is wrong with Marriott hotels in XXXXXXXX. .
Marriott Hotels is one of 29 brands in the Marriott Bonvoy program. There are quite a few Marriott hotels in London, for example, but also other hotel brands that also participate in Marriott Bonvoy.

Starwood never had that confusion, because Starwood was not a hotel brand. Even so, people on FlyerTalk tended to write about SPG hotels, not Starwood hotels.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I would like to see less Bonvoy. Instead of "Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in New York", why not just "Hotels in New York". We are in the Marriott forum after all.
This +1000%
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
But SPG is a nice acronym and Bonvoy is a terrible name...

(I will re-nominate Marriott-portfolio or Marriott-group instead...)
margarita girl and remymartin like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
But SPG is a nice acronym and Bonvoy is a terrible name...

(I will re-nominate Marriott-portfolio or Marriott-group instead...)
But that ship has sailed.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Fizzer
Agree 100%. Also, by having Marriott Bonvoy hotels in a title, it implies there might be some that are not part of Bonvoy which is 99% not the case. If the mods or others don't like 'Marriott-family' hotels in XXX (which has been in place for years & for the most part been understood as to what was meant), then replace family w/ something else (portfolio, brands, fill in the blank), but not Bonvoy.

FWIW - my vote (if I had one) would be against multiple sub-forums.

Cheers.
aaupgrade, CO-PLAT and Collierkr like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by Horace
Even long before Marriott acquired Starwood, it was common to refer to SPG hotels

SPG, the abbreviation and logo for Starwood Preferred Guest, was never a hotel brand. But "SPG hotels" was a meaningful way to refer to hotels that participated in SPG.

Same thing with Marriott Bonvoy hotels (or just Bonvoy hotels for short).

Bonvoy will soon be the brand for the loyalty program for 29 of Marriott International's 30 official brands.
True.Good point.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
I'm OK with the re-characterization suggestion as long as a sticky is placed with the following title:

Speculation as to How Long it Will Be Before Management Ditches the BONVoY Name
remymartin likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.