Former SPG Hotels Leaving Marriott

Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
In some cases, Marriott pushes hotels to get up to standards and some choose to leave.
Of course, but I don't think this list includes any of the horrendous Sheratons that were de-flagged by Marriott when the owner refused to make the renovations that Marriott is forcing upon the Sheratons worldwide.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Some legacy SPG properties had contracts that prohibited the opening of an equal hotel within X number of miles. Apparently, this was a huge complaint and issue, according to two general managers.
It doesn't explain Des Indes or Furstenhof for example.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is there any evidence that Marriott has any training standards in terms of customer service?
You mean Marriott Rewards customer service? Yes, the agents are required to know how to say "no" in at least three different languages.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
You mean Marriott Rewards customer service? Yes, the agents are required to know how to say "no" in at least three different languages.

They also spend a lot of time learning how to read notes on file to ensure that they give a different answer when someone calls in again...
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How about the creativity sessions teaching them how to make up stuff to end the call quickly, whether they know the correct answer or not. There's also the anbti-research training on how to avoid ever bothering to learn answers to any question or even basics about the program.

In fact, I'm starting to wonder whether Starriott is administering an anti-IQ test as a first step in the hiring process. Anyone smart or with problem solving abilities need not apply. Next would be a test on customer service attitudes, where negative is the desired outcome.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:59 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Of course hotels come and go all the time.

This happened at Starwood before Marriott

Hotel Pulitzer
Westin Diplomat
Le Meridien Brussels
St Regis Monarch Bay
St Regis Venice
Parker Palm Springs (the trouble with Starwood started in 2013)
W San Diego
Le Meridien Eden Rome
Lanai Manele Bay Hotel
Lodge at Koele
Palace Hotel Copenhagen
Westin Trianon Place Versailles
Westin Rio Mar Puerto Rico
Etc.

I think we had stayed at 6 of those and were sad to see them go, but it's pretty par for the course in the hotel business
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
It's not just a matter of the total number of properties in the program, but rather how many hotels there are in which I want to stay. I hate the idea of some bunch of Fairfields or Courtyards replacing Des Indes or Furstenhof or a StR. For me, this is the issue. Most of Starriotts 6700 hotels are ones where I hope I never have to stay.
More like the JW Maldives, Solaz, and 40 other high end destination type properties ....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/douggol.../#7cd804969957

The Mandarin in LV is now a Waldorf/Hilton ... does anyone think MO is falling apart?

Properties leave for all sorts of reasons ... sometimes they don't want to renovate, sometimes their are too many Marriott family properties in the area and they don't want to share Marriott loyalists, sometimes they want to leverage a deal with another Hotel company ....
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Next would be a test on customer service attitudes, where negative is the desired outcome.
If they did that, United would be facing a severe staff shortage.
BrightlyBob and ctbarron like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:53 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Hi, StarGuy, and good to see youre still around!

I detect from this post and your MRI post referring to the leavers that ends with a smiley face, that youre happy with this outcome, I assume because theyre signing up with Hyatt. Or perhaps that it demonstrates franchisees are as unhappy with Marriott as some SPGers, including you.

No doubt it does demonstrate some pushback by hotels against Marriotts new terms and the combined program, but in all likelihood many of these were probably leaving anyway, the industry experiences a constant churn of franchised properties deflagging, reflagging, moving brands and trying the unbranded route. Its the natural outcome of the asset-light structure. Those with the hard assets move them between the different marketeers where they feel better returns are likely.

I dont think a dozen or so hotels leaving a 6,700 property ecosphere is any sign of impending implosion, or the return of SPG as a separate rewards program.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Hi, StarGuy, and good to see youre still around!

I detect from this post and your MRI post referring to the leavers that ends with a smiley face, that youre happy with this outcome, I assume because theyre signing up with Hyatt. Or perhaps that it demonstrates franchisees are as unhappy with Marriott as some SPGers, including you.

No doubt it does demonstrate some pushback by hotels against Marriotts new terms and the combined program, but in all likelihood many of these were probably leaving anyway, the industry experiences a constant churn of franchised properties deflagging, reflagging, moving brands and trying the unbranded route. Its the natural outcome of the asset-light structure. Those with the hard assets move them between the different marketeers where they feel better returns are likely.

I dont think a dozen or so hotels leaving a 6,700 property ecosphere is any sign of impending implosion, or the return of SPG as a separate rewards program.
Which hotels on the list are reflagging as Hyatts?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:24 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Which hotels on the list are reflagging as Hyatts?
Ooops, I meant to say that OP was hoping theyre signing up to Hyatt. I have no inside info!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm no fan of the new Marriott, but based on the publicly available information, most of those properties left for reasons unrelated to the merger, including several where the property owners would not commit to upgrades to maintain brand standards.
This was my understanding as well.

For example, I've known about the Prague Charles Square Sheraton leaving, and that was announced quite awhile ago. (I really loved that property but didn't want to marry it)
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:06 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Of course, but I don't think this list includes any of the horrendous Sheratons that were de-flagged by Marriott when the owner refused to make the renovations that Marriott is forcing upon the Sheratons worldwide.
I believe the Sheraton Tianjin, China most likely fits this bill. I did a week stay there in 2018 when it was still a Sheraton. I can't find that hotel anymore when searching Tianjin, or in my app "stay again" doesn't do anything when I click on it.

The hotel was old and really reminded me of a typical Chinese hotel, not something I would expect with the Sheraton name on it. Also, I always book non-smoking rooms and it was evidenced that people had smoked inside. Cigarette burns on the counter in the washroom and the smell of smoke in the room. Rooms are like 20 years old. Again, nothing I would expect with the SPG brand, especially in Asia.

Honestly, I'm glad if subpar hotels are being kicked out. I book Marriott/SPG properties expecting a level of service and experience. If I don't get that, I feel like I've wasted my money.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Collierkr
This reason doesn't have anything definitively to do with MARRIOTT, rather they don't want to be part of a lagre chain. Same would apply with Hilton, etc.
Oh yes it did. What was unwritten, but squarely part of the Parker team decision was an association with the specific name Marriott and the tackiness that comes with it. I know this is mean to say, but they didn't want Pepsi-cooler toting Courtyard people showing up in their lobby. Of course you can argue that the Parker properties would have been perfect under the Autograph brand umbrella, but I do (having interacted with them over the years) think the owners didn't want association with the Marriott name. They really did have a unique deal with Le Meridien that seemed to be working after they got past the scandal.
remymartin likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Marriott press release today:

Marriott International Sets New Record for Growth in 2018 Fueling Global Expansion and Adding Choice for Travelers | Marriott News Center

"...announced record organic rooms signings in 2018, ending the year with a record global pipeline. In 2018, the company signed management and franchise agreements for 816 properties, comprised of 125,000 rooms, while opening nearly 500 properties comprised of more than 80,000 rooms around the world across its portfolio of 30 brands.

The year also delivered a new record for organic international room signings in Europe and Middle East and Africa, and for organic hotel signings in Asia Pacific, delivering a source of future growth in destinations where international travel is surging....

In the industry’s highest tier, Marriott’s already leading luxury portfolio – consisting of brands such as The Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott and EDITION – made remarkable strides in 2018. The company signed 29 luxury properties consisting of 6,200 rooms across six brands, with visionary projects such as The Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai Hongqiao, a St. Regis in Dubai, and a three-brand luxury project in the Dominican Republic. According to the latest STR data, Marriott’s luxury pipeline is larger than its next three competitors combined.

...growing loyalty program membership, which now stands at 120 million members around the world."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.