Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Use SPG/Marriott as intermediate to transfer points to non-direct Transfer Partners?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use SPG/Marriott as intermediate to transfer points to non-direct Transfer Partners?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Hi

Is it possible to use SPG/Marriott as an intermediate to transfer credit card points (MR or UR for example) to non-direct transfer partners like JAL?
And possibly grab the 5,000 bonus miles when applicable (20,000 SPG points / 60,000 Marriott points = 20,000 airlines miles + 5,000 bonus miles).
Or is there some restrictions to the SPG/Marriott points if they are originating from UR/MR transfers?

Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:56 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Welcome. I'm going to move this to the Marriott forum to see if you might get helpful answers there.

l'etoile
sr. moderator
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by newyorkcity
Hi

Is it possible to use SPG/Marriott as an intermediate to transfer credit card points (MR or UR for example) to non-direct transfer partners like JAL?
And possibly grab the 5,000 bonus miles when applicable (20,000 SPG points / 60,000 Marriott points = 20,000 airlines miles + 5,000 bonus miles).
Or is there some restrictions to the SPG/Marriott points if they are originating from UR/MR transfers?

Thanks!
There is no restriction although I'm sure you're aware of the poor value proposition here since at best you're paying 2.4 credit card points for every airline mile.

At least for the US Membership Rewards program, I cannot imagine an award that is cheaper to book by going AMEX-Marriott-Airline compared to using one of the AMEX partners. It would need to be an award that costs 2.4x as many miles via one of the AMEX partners compared to one only accessible via the Marriott route. But if you need to just top up some Alaska miles or something, yes, it works fine.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: Airline free agent; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Yes, you can do it. But there is almost never a reason to do so.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP is trying to transfer points to airline miles from a program that doesn't transfer to the airline of interest, so laundering them through Starriott is a way to possibly make a transfer that otherwise couldn't be done as it can't be done directly.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP is trying to transfer points to airline miles from a program that doesn't transfer to the airline of interest, so laundering them through Starriott is a way to possibly make a transfer that otherwise couldn't be done as it can't be done directly.
I don't think anyone misunderstood that. It's just hard to imagine a case where that would be worthwhile since partner bookings for airline alliances make most airlines accessible transferring directly from banks. I can see a case like topping up an account to get enough for an award you're just shy of the threshold for though.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This kind of double transfer only makes sense for orphaned points. i.e. you need to redeem a small number of leftover points which would have been useless anyway.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I don't think anyone misunderstood that. It's just hard to imagine a case where that would be worthwhile since partner bookings for airline alliances make most airlines accessible transferring directly from banks. I can see a case like topping up an account to get enough for an award you're just shy of the threshold for though.
In many cases, there's more award inventory if you're using "native" program miles rather than the miles of some (alliance) partner. In other cases, you must use native miles for premium cabin travel or for certain upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.