Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Canadian Courtyards give $10 CAD not USD in F&B credit as Platinum Welcome Amenity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Courtyards give $10 CAD not USD in F&B credit as Platinum Welcome Amenity

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by yeunganson
After seeing the undying list comments, I can imagine if the hotel gave 10 bitcoins or $10 Euros or 10 UK Pound to the elite guest as food credit in Canada, the honest elite guest will yell "document says $US10! I cannot take more than documented benefit. Let me pay for anything over my limit!!!" .

I personally lucked out that I got $CAD 10 but also my points credit was also based in Canadian dollars on the hotels I frequent. So I am going to learn the dark arts of the predatory flyertalker - if rules are violated on my benefit - keep quiet - don't report the hotels giving those extra points and keep pocketing those extra illegitimate points. But if the hotel violated the rules and short-changed me for $1, I will head report to corporate compliance!
So did you let the hotels know that you were credited points in CAD, instead of the USD equivalent, as per the terms of the program? Or are you following the "dark arts of the predatory flyertalker", and keeping quiet and pocketing those extra illegitimate points?

Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@CardMaster

Please ignore some of the crazies/nutjobs/RCHHMP (Canadians only!)/sanctimonious winners in this thread.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. ^
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jdj84
So did you let the hotels know that you were credited points in CAD, instead of the USD equivalent, as per the terms of the program? Or are you following the "dark arts of the predatory flyertalker", and keeping quiet and pocketing those extra illegitimate points?

Wait, you only get 5x points at Element stays? When did this start?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by thomas199023
Wait, you only get 5x points at Element stays? When did this start?

Pretty sure it happened when Marriott took over
thomas199023 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Which is of course asinine, as the Elements have a much different location strategy/consumer target/higher price point than your endless RI/TPS options
thomas199023 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:56 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by jdj84
Of course I should learn from the masters here. Not only complain to get the $CAD 3 extra for the Food and Beverage credit, but also keep quiet when hotel illegitimately credits me points based on the weaker Canadian dollars. In addition, I should shift all my stays to those hotels just to take advantage of continuous staff errors ride that gravy train until the sun rises in the west and sets in the east , until the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves, until the womb quickens again... oh! wrong thread, different fantasy

Leaving this thread for a few days and then came back, I got some new perspective. I understand why my initial gut reaction to the post was so negative. People claim it's not about the money, when in fact it's really all about the money. In this case, $CAD 3 of the exchange rate. Those keep talking about following the rules (Marriott Terms and Conditions) in this Canada case are disingenuous because I truly believe had the hotel gave $UK 10, they will keep quiet and not reference the rules to give the hotel back illegitimate gains. So it's not about following the rules. In a more overall perspective of the intention of the $US 10 food and credit, I interpret it as an intention that the hotel buy you a drink or two on the hotel dime to welcome you as a frequent guest. So long as the OP got the equivalent value of 2 drinks on the house, there is no real injustice done. So the initial post and the follow-up pile on did give me a feel of exaggerated grievance and superficial indignity thus I responded more harshly than I normally would.

Had the situation occurred in Japan and an elite guest got 10 yen instead of $US 10 (about 1000 yen), I am sure I would be very supportive of the guest complaint because 10 yen can only buy 8% of a bottle of pop and I can clearly see something unjust done to the guest that is backed by the terms and conditions. In the same way if a guest went to French Polynesia (I heard it's expensive), and got 1000 Franc (about $US10) credit and say a single coke drink cost 2000 Frac (just an assumption for sake of argument), I too will feel the guest has a legitimate case to the hotel management that something unjust happened even though it is not supported in the terms and conditions.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The bigger issue here is that Marriott still is not offering the much wanted free breakfast for Platinum elites in some brands like Courtyards, AC Hotels, Moxy. An average breakfast (coffee, eggs, sausage) at a Canadian Courtyard costs about $14 plus tax so about $16 in Ontario. Since the main use of the F&B credits is to be in lieu of the free breakfast benefit, I'm gonna fight against any shortchanging of my $10 USD voucher.

Whether I would complain or notify the hotel about any benefit to which I am not entitled is irrelevant, in my opinion, to the issue of the shortchanging in the $10 USD F&B credit and Marriott's failure in fulfilling the free breakfast expectation for elites at some of their brands.
GUWonder and margarita girl like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
I have an 8-night stay coming up at the Courtyard Downtown Toronto, beginning this week. As a Platinum member, I am curious to find out how I will be treated with regard to this issue. I will let you know.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:09 am

IMO, the only issue here is Marriott, the franchisor, requiring all its franchisees to offer qualifying guests a $10 USD, or local equivalent, voucher per guest (maximiof two) per night. It's not rocket science, and the franchisees who are not following the proper protocol are either ignorant of the procedure, or seeking to minimize ancillary expenditures. Shame on Marriott if they are indeed turning a blind eye in not attempting to maintain brand consistency.
airoli and GUWonder like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Gigantor
I have an 8-night stay coming up at the Courtyard Downtown Toronto, beginning this week. As a Platinum member, I am curious to find out how I will be treated with regard to this issue. I will let you know.
please report back!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Gigantor
Originally Posted by MasterGeek

please report back!
@Gigantor
Yes, please report back.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by yeunganson
So the initial post and the follow-up pile on did give me a feel of exaggerated grievance and superficial indignity thus I responded more harshly than I normally would.
Excellent. Most normal people would stop with the long explanatory posts at this point. Your (mostly incorrect) points have been heard.

I'm also staying at the Courtyard Downtown Toronto next week and will ask about this. It's actually my 'regular' business hotel and I never even thought to question the $10CAD (which I've selected in the past) until this thread! (Thank you OP).
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by flyme2
IMO, the only issue here is Marriott, the franchisor, requiring all its franchisees to offer qualifying guests a $10 USD, or local equivalent, voucher per guest (maximiof two) per night. It's not rocket science, and the franchisees who are not following the proper protocol are either ignorant of the procedure, or seeking to minimize ancillary expenditures. Shame on Marriott if they are indeed turning a blind eye in not attempting to maintain brand consistency.
Exactly!

It doesn't matter where on the globe the hotel is located. It doesn't matter where on the globe the guest lives.

If a Courtyard, AC Hotel, of MOXY in the United States were to claim that $10 USD vouchers are only worth $7 USD, guests would rightly feel cheated.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by seanp7
Excellent. Most normal people would stop with the long explanatory posts at this point. Your (mostly incorrect) points have been heard.

I'm also staying at the Courtyard Downtown Toronto next week and will ask about this. It's actually my 'regular' business hotel and I never even thought to question the $10CAD (which I've selected in the past) until this thread! (Thank you OP).
Be prepared to be given a value of $11.50 CAD for each voucher. I believe the property might acknowledge it's actually $10 USD not CAD, but will apply an unfriendly hotel's exchange rate of 1:1.15
seanp7 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Sorry for the delay in reporting back.

When I first used the 10$ credit at the Courtyard Downtown Toronto, the credit was indeed applied for only 10 CAD. After a discussion with the hotel duty manager, the credit was changed to 13 CAD per day.
For the rest of the 8-day stay, the 13 CAD credit was applied daily.

Last edited by Gigantor; Feb 11, 2019 at 4:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.