Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Canadian Courtyards give $10 CAD not USD in F&B credit as Platinum Welcome Amenity

Canadian Courtyards give $10 CAD not USD in F&B credit as Platinum Welcome Amenity

Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:09 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Horace

You're suggesting that Marriott should totally ignore its Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions?
Nope I said Marriott can totally ignore the complaint of the OP because I do not believe the intention was strictly about the terms and conditions but actually selectively applying the terms and conditions when it is in OP's favor. Had the Canadian dollar is stronger than the US dollar like in periods in 2010 and 2007, I do not believe the OP will be referring to the terms and conditions saying he was overpaid at $CAD 10 and should have received $CAD 8.5 because the Canadian dollar was stronger.

I will stand corrected if OP clarifies that he would have protested in equal vigor and returned the excess to the hotel had the Canadian dollar been stronger than US dollar and he was given more than $US 10 equivalent.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
Good luck finding an Idli for 10 rupees.
even tea from a street vendor in Mumbai is now up to 12rupees
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:54 am

Late 2007 CAD vs USD

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sorry, never happened. The most favorable exchange rate since 1953 was around $0.91 in late 2007.
Actually, the CAD was stronger in late 2007 than the USD. I know first-hand as I imported a vehicle into Canada from the US and paid taxes based on the lower USD value.

Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by yeunganson
Nope I said Marriott can totally ignore the complaint of the OP because I do not believe the intention was strictly about the terms and conditions but actually selectively applying the terms and conditions when it is in OP's favor. Had the Canadian dollar is stronger than the US dollar like in periods in 2010 and 2007, I do not believe the OP will be referring to the terms and conditions saying he was overpaid at $CAD 10 and should have received $CAD 8.5 because the Canadian dollar was stronger.

I will stand corrected if OP clarifies that he would have protested in equal vigor and returned the excess to the hotel had the Canadian dollar been stronger than US dollar and he was given more than $US 10 equivalent.
Your arguments are total nonsense. The t&c says $10 USD. Simple.

Our points earning rates at the hotels are also against the USD, not the CAD.

They cant have it both ways.
PointWeasel, Horace, X-ON and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
$10 usd equivalent in cad dollars. How hard is that for a Marriott to figure out? After all, Marriott often prices in USD in other countries even it not legal tender in those countries (fallacious arguement to say one can only use CAD denominations)
​​​

So should it be 10 rmb in China, 10 rand in South Africa, 10 ringgit in Malaysia yet only 8 GBP?

Can't have it both ways. Should be 10 USD in equivalent currency.

OP is right. People who attack him are nasty
​​
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by hotelboy
This is complete and total DYKIAM behavior on the part of the OP.
What? Own a hotel perhaps? Your bias in many of your replies just reeks of utter nonsense.

Op has provided a strong and valid case for getting ripped off. He has alerted the FT community.

I agree 100% with the op.
C17PSGR, X-ON, yscleo and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
The only legal tender currency for transactions in Canada is the Canadian dollar. The hotel cannot give you $US 10 because US dollars are not a currency allowed to do business in Canada.

A modified request maybe why not give an equivalent of $US 10 in Canadian currency for the Food and Beverage Amenity. The answer would be because the currency goes up and down all the time. Right now it is about $US 10 = $CAD 13. In periods of 2007, $USD 10 = $CAD 10. In periods of 2010, $USD 10 = $CAD 8.5. The OP is disingenuous and secretly wanted to say "if the US dollar is weaker than Canadian dollar, give me $10 Canadian. If the Canadian dollar is weaker than US dollar, give me the $US 10 in Canadian equivalent!"

Marriott should totally ignore the complaint of the OP.

As far as I know, in Washington State, a bottle of 500ml pop is about $USD 1.75 - $2 pre-tax at a convenient store. In BC Canada, a 500ml pop is also about $CAD 1.75 - 2.00. Because the purchase power of the $10 is quite on par with each other, there is no need make adjustments.
So my US$100 gift cards should redeemed at par if used at Cdn properties?
PointWeasel, KRSW, gcashin and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
OP made a valid point, and OP presented it well.

I'm surprised that anyone would reply that it's okay for Courtyard hotels in Canada to ignore Marriott's terms & conditions. Anywhere in the world, it's a simple matter of converting $10 USD to the equivalent amount in local currency. That includes Canada.

My only question now is about the topic name: "Canadian Courtyards give $10 CAD not USD in F&B credit as Platinum Welcome Amenity."

Can this really be said about Courtyards (plural) in Canada? Or was OP's experience with a substandard Platinum Arrival Gift an isolated incident at one particular property? If this were a widespread problem, I would think there would have been a lot more discussion about it here on FlyerTalk since August 18, 2018.
yscleo likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CanRulez

What? Own a hotel perhaps? Your bias in many of your replies just reeks of utter nonsense.

Op has provided a strong and valid case for getting ripped off. He has alerted the FT community.

I agree 100% with the op.
Joking about INR and idlies aside, the point of local currency stands. 10 INR doesnt give you anything. So clearly it cannot be local currency.

just because the CAD is currently in the ballpark of the USD doesnt give Marriott carte blanche to short customers.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The t&c says $10 USD. Simple.
Yep.
They can’t have it both ways.
Unfortunately they can. That's the new Marriott, where only the customers have to follow the rules.
Originally Posted by SHLTP
$10 usd equivalent. How hard is that for a Marriott to figure out? ​​
I believe they have figured it out, and that's exactly the problem. They save 25% by converting to CAD in violation of the T&C.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
Unfortunately they can. That's the new Marriott, where only the customers have to follow the rules.
Originally Posted by Kacee
I believe they have figured it out, and that's exactly the problem. They save 25% by converting to CAD in violation of the T&C.
I do not believe that Marriott International has directed properties in Canada (or anywhere else) to shortchange guests on Platinum Welcome Gifts.

But Marriott International seems to make very little effort to find and correct such failures.

How often have we read about guests who call Marriott Guest Services, only to be told to work it out with the hotel? Or to be given misinformation by an ill-informed phone agent who assumes that hotels are always right?

When a guest perceives a failure, the guest should be taken seriously. Obviously, there are times when a guest is wrong, which means politely correcting the guest's misunderstanding. But when it's a failure by the hotel, the guest deserves an apology and thanks, and the situation should be promptly corrected with Guest Services escalating to hotel management.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by flyme2
Actually, the CAD was stronger in late 2007 than the USD.
And that's way the exchange rate was less than 1. But it never reached the supposed $0.85 level that is being repeatedly quoted.

I do not believe the OP will be referring to the terms and conditions saying he was overpaid at $CAD 10 and should have received $CAD 8.5 because the Canadian dollar was stronger.
Why do you insist on continuing to use this made-up number?

Originally Posted by margarita girl
So my US$100 gift cards should redeemed at par if used at Cdn properties?
That's the way Fairmont used to work.
seat38a and nexusCFX like this.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Jan 19, 2019 at 12:31 pm
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
For those of use Canadians who are used the the ups and downs of our dollar, this has always worked both ways.

For example:

Fairmont certificates were always issued in USD even though Fairmont was based in Canada.

There was a somewhat what brief period when the CAD was higher than the USD and we took our lumps with the value of the certificates dropped. No harm, no foul.

There are posters on this thread that have no clue as to what they are claiming and/or rambling on about.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
The hotel cannot give you $US 10 because US dollars are not a currency allowed to do business in Canada
Also utter nonsense. I take US dollars frequently in my Canadian business. I just convert them to Canadian dollars, which is exactly what the OP is suggesting. Most Canadian retailers and certainly the tourist industry all accept US dollars and convert them. The exchange rate is often poorer than if exchanged at a bank.
Twickenham, CanRulez and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Horace
I do not believe that Marriott International has directed properties in Canada (or anywhere else) to shortchange guests on Platinum Welcome Gifts.
Not sure what you're referring to. The "they" in the post I quoted is "a Marriott" not Marriott International. Obviously the Marriotts in Canada that are pulling this stunt have figured out a way to save 25% on their mandated benefit costs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.