FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   [How to find] My Marriott Bonvoy Status Expiry date ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1951737-how-find-my-marriott-bonvoy-status-expiry-date.html)

flybie Aug 27, 2018 3:09 pm

[How to find] My Marriott Bonvoy Status Expiry date ?

I can't seem to find this information. I have Platinum elite status with Marriott because of my Gold status with Ritz Carlton card this August. It converts from Gold to Platinum. But anyone knows or where I can read up to see when will I lose this Platinum elite status? Is it end of 2018 or it end of 2019?

injian Aug 27, 2018 6:56 pm

I am also interested to know where to find this. Can not find it in either app.

flybie Aug 30, 2018 12:18 pm

Anyone knows this?

wordsmith Sep 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Newly Platinum...what is expiration date in new program?

I was a longtime SPG Gold. in July, I made Platinum via an SPG challenge. I am almost positive the congrats message I received indicated I would now have Platinum status through Feb. 2020 (as per SPG usual...you earn status in a year and you then have that status for the rest of the calendar year and the next year). On the new SPG website, I can't find anything that says when Platinum will expire if I don't requalify...is it end of this year? End of next year? The website is confusing because it implies I now need to stay more nights *this year* to earn Platinum for *next year* even though I'm presuming I already earned it for next year?

wordsmith Sep 14, 2018 9:13 am

Bumping this because I posted in wrong forum initially!

josephstern Nov 14, 2018 2:52 pm

I called Marriott about this. The rep was completely clueless (as I've been finding with Marriott now - I come from the SPG world).

She kept saying, the year goes from January to December. Pointless and useless.

I'm surprised there's no status expiration date in my account, but she couldn't find one, and she said I was the first person to ever ask her that question.

RogerD408 Nov 14, 2018 4:31 pm

General program rule is if you earn status this year, you will have status through the following year. The specific cut-off may be the end of January or February (I'm not sure which right now). It's getting where the CSRs are almost as clueless as the FDCs. I had one FDC congratulate me for finally making Platinum status saying how I don't have to chase nights anymore. She was shocked when I told her we needed to do 75 nights EACH YEAR to keep Plat or get 750 nights and 2M points for LTP (which I was quite some distance from at the time).

josephstern Nov 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Right - my problem is, I didn't get status from nights. I seem to have some combo of matching or credit card spend or something else, which I cannot precisely identify. Nor can the CSRs.

So, given that I don't know on what basis I have status, I have no idea how long it'll last.

If, for example, I knew I'd lose it at the end of this program year, I might push for spend on the Amex CC to try to get it again for next year. Or I might make reservations at non-Marriott properties for next year.

Just too much ambiguity. Status isn't really worth much if you don't have an idea of how long it will be in force.

RogerD408 Nov 14, 2018 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 30430483)
Right - my problem is, I didn't get status from nights. I seem to have some combo of matching or credit card spend or something else, which I cannot precisely identify. Nor can the CSRs.

So, given that I don't know on what basis I have status, I have no idea how long it'll last.

If, for example, I knew I'd lose it at the end of this program year, I might push for spend on the Amex CC to try to get it again for next year. Or I might make reservations at non-Marriott properties for next year.

Just too much ambiguity. Status isn't really worth much if you don't have an idea of how long it will be in force.

I don't think MR will be the place to look. Check the T&Cs of the CC or other program (maybe a CSR can look up what is actually providing your status). If they provide EQNs based upon spend or the such, then you will need to earn enough to make tier. The nice thing there is you can do stays or bonuses to augment those EQNs. But knowing the rules for the program will be most helpful. Maybe someone here is on the same programs so if you list the cards, groups, etc. someone may speak up. Otherwise it's pure guesses.

josephstern Nov 14, 2018 6:45 pm

I'm pretty sure this is the only travel loyalty program that I've been a member of that can't tell me my status expiration date.

CPRich Nov 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Is this not relevant?

cardmembers who have earned Gold Status before August 26 will get Platinum Elite Status through 2019 to guarantee lounge access
"Through 2019" would mean ending just after 11:59:59p on 12/31/2019 to me.

RogerD408 Nov 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 30430683)
I'm pretty sure this is the only travel loyalty program that I've been a member of that can't tell me my status expiration date.

But from what you are saying, you are not earning status via the program, but granted status from elsewhere. How can MR know how long you're going to keep a CC or how much you are going to spend to qualify for the comp? Gotta find the source and read those T&Cs.

josephstern Nov 14, 2018 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30430733)
But from what you are saying, you are not earning status via the program, but granted status from elsewhere. How can MR know how long you're going to keep a CC or how much you are going to spend to qualify for the comp? Gotta find the source and read those T&Cs.

You think that source tells Marriott each day, Joe has X status?

I'm pretty sure that whoever told Marriott to give me the status gave them a "through" date along with it.

ecgz88 Nov 14, 2018 8:20 pm

I got my platinum Elite in Feb 2018 through Platinum challenge, won't hit 50 nights this year, so will I be downgrade to Platinum in 02/2019 or 02/2020?

Thanks!

MSPeconomist Nov 14, 2018 8:41 pm

Was that SPG Plat or MR Plat? It makes a difference. BTW, it seems strange to talk of a downgrade from Plat to Plat.