Search

Any Advantage to Keep Two Accounts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:18 pm
V9
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
Any Advantage to Keep Two Accounts

I am Life Platinum in both spg and MR accounts. Now I am forced to combine them unless I change one of the email address. Any advantage of keeping both accounts? Like when you reserve two rooms both of them can be upgraded? Any disadvantage not combining them? Like you cannot pull points together when needed?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect that eventually we won't be allowed to have two accounts. Most hotel and FF programs have such a rule, as did legacy MR and legacy SPG.

In the meantime, some of us are keeping the accounts separate until various IT problems and missing credits are fixed.

Others eagerly combined accounts for higher status or to consolidate points, SNAs, etc.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by V9
I am Life Platinum in both spg and MR accounts. Now I am forced to combine them unless I change one of the email address. Any advantage of keeping both accounts? Like when you reserve two rooms both of them can be upgraded? Any disadvantage not combining them? Like you cannot pull points together when needed?
Since you are already LT Plat for both programs, there is really no rush to combine them.
Like many others had already mentioned, until Marriott launch the new Bonvoy bonfire, they will probably start closing these loopholes and force combine these accounts at some point.
In the meantime, if you have families you are travelling with and wanting to book multiple rooms to enjoy double dipped status perks/points, book away while it lasts.

Pulling points together from different accounts shouldn't be much problem, but this requires an agent or a set of eyes to look into your account and do it for you, if you don't combine them on your own.
Which also means, they will force you to combine the accounts at some time.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by V9
The new T&Cs state duplicate accounts are not allowed. We are in an exception period right now while things transition and we have no idea what action they might take once they choose to enforce the T&Cs. Using the two accounts to get night credit for multiple rooms can be considered gaming the system and they may choose to take the extra credit back (remember your activity will be combined and double credit for the same nights would be an easy IT search (oh, never mind) and not sure which they might cancel, if not both for violating the rules. Worse case, your accounts could be close all together. Again, no one knows what will happen and every case may be evaluated on its own merits. What's your risk tolerance level?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.