FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Difficulty booking Westin Playa Conchal before category change (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1951601-difficulty-booking-westin-playa-conchal-before-category-change.html)

prissy1277 Jan 17, 2019 1:41 pm

Difficulty booking Westin Playa Conchal before category change

I would appreciate any help from the experts on this forum related to book a reward stay at the Westin Playa Conchal, or any all-inclusive Marriott/SPG properties.
Background:
*Looking to book 5-night in November at the hotel using points. The hotel website states the 1-BR Jr Suite has maximum occupancy of 6, since we are family of 4, no problem. Except either app or website would allow the booking for 4ppl. I called Marriott, the first three calls were answered by agents that had no idea what is going on either. Ironically all three calls resulted in me on hold, and the agents coming back blaming “our system is down and call back in an hour or tomorrow”.
*GOOD NEWS. On 1/16/19, finally an agent knew exactly what the issue is -> this hotel is being moved from category 7 to 8 and the system is having issue recognizing that to allow booking for Nov under the category 7 point system. She books the 5-night stay, takes 240,000 points from my account, verbally gives me a redemption code, and says email confirmation is on the way.
*BAD NEWS AGAIN. The confirmation email and the reservation in my account correctly has the date/hotel name/# of occupant, except it say “summary of charge $606.55 USD per night”. And I never received another email on the redemption code.
*MORE BAD NEWS. I call up Marriott today to ask for that redemption code email confirmation this stay is for 240,000 points and NOT cash. The first agent knew nothing, and either hung up on me or lost connection. The second agent was more helpful, but after 27 minutes blamed “our system is down and call back in an hour or tomorrow”. I happen to read an review on tripadvisor on this hotel, someone else booked with points and upon checkin was forced to pay cash.

This has gotten me worried that when I show up in November, I am out $3,030 and 240k points because no one at Marriott knows anything and I have no prove of this redemption except for a 7-digit code. Will a hotel in Costa Rica just trust me that I should have the room with this verbal redemption code?
Any insight on best way to contact Marriott or how to approach this would be appreciated. If it makes any difference, I am Platinum Premier Elite for life and never had issues booking SPG/Marriott in 15 years until this reservation.

controller1 Jan 17, 2019 6:23 pm

A reward stay is for only up to two adults. Perhaps the cash amount is for the two additional room occupants, especially if the CSR entered the reservation as four adults. In that case you could be out both the 240,000 points and the cash.

TerryK Jan 17, 2019 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by controller1 (Post 30668580)
A reward stay is for only up to two adults. Perhaps the cash amount is for the two additional room occupants, especially if the CSR entered the reservation as four adults. In that case you could be out both the 240,000 points and the cash.

I concur. Westin Playa Conchal is an all inclusive resort. There is an additional charge for more than two guests even for paid stays. A quick check of paid rate difference between four and two guests for November is $646 per night. The $606.55 you were quoted appears to be a bargain. :p

PattycakeC Mar 2, 2019 8:27 am

I just switched a points reservation from the JW Costa Rica to the Westin play Conchal— I was able to book a deluxe jr suite “all inclusive” for me and my girlfriend at a rate of 240000 points for 5 nights. I’m worried that we are going to show up and be told there is a large cash fee/charge that is not disclosed on the website at Booking— does anybody have any insight? Is 240k points and applicable taxes too good to be true for an all inclusive suite? With the way things are at Marriott these days I figured I would have better luck asking here instead of calling directly. TY

TerryK Mar 2, 2019 9:31 am

Originally Posted by PattycakeC (Post 30838787)
I just switched a points reservation from the JW Costa Rica to the Westin play Conchal— I was able to book a deluxe jr suite “all inclusive” for me and my girlfriend at a rate of 240000 points for 5 nights..............................Is 240k points and applicable taxes too good to be true for an all inclusive suite?......

No. it is not too good to be true. ;) You will be fine. 240K for 5 nights is a fair price for Westin Playa Conchal. :p Junior Suite at this property is only a larger room and food is mediocre at best.

Mr. Vker Mar 2, 2019 9:38 am

Originally Posted by PattycakeC (Post 30838787)
I just switched a points reservation from the JW Costa Rica to the Westin play Conchal— I was able to book a deluxe jr suite “all inclusive” for me and my girlfriend at a rate of 240000 points for 5 nights. I’m worried that we are going to show up and be told there is a large cash fee/charge that is not disclosed on the website at Booking— does anybody have any insight? Is 240k points and applicable taxes too good to be true for an all inclusive suite? With the way things are at Marriott these days I figured I would have better luck asking here instead of calling directly. TY

I think you would have liked the JW better. We've been to both. The Westin is just like a conclave that is in the Caribbean-nothing CR about it. The beach is actually walled off because of how aggressive the vendors are. The JW has a beautiful beach with great sunsets. Great food and atmosphere. Its not AI, but better experience and quality IMHO.

PattycakeC Mar 2, 2019 10:21 am

Thanks guys... we will have a car and do plan on getting off the resort to explore. I switched from JW as a way to keep cash flow to a minimum. I had heard the food there can be quite expensive. Since booking the original JW, we found out we’d be relocating to Boston and just went under contract for our first house there.

Mr. Vker Mar 2, 2019 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by PattycakeC (Post 30839158)
Thanks guys... we will have a car and do plan on getting off the resort to explore. I switched from JW as a way to keep cash flow to a minimum. I had heard the food there can be quite expensive. Since booking the original JW, we found out we’d be relocating to Boston and just went under contract for our first house there.

Then you made the right choice. It is pricey-and there are many factors to consider-both during and after the trip! Have a great time. We love Costa Rica. One of our favorite places. The Westin has coatis everyplace. They are so funny to watch.

d20513 Mar 3, 2019 6:08 pm

It was my understanding that all inclusives were no longer able to be booked with points. Has something changed?

Checked Marriott.com and don’t even see Westin Playa. Language is in fact there on all the other AI’s “Marriott Bonvoy points cannot be redeemed for All Inclusive Packages or Stays.”

:confused: