Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Say Hello to Marriott Bonvoy, launches Feb 13, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
New Tier Names. This applies to Lifetime naming as well.

Platinum Premier Elite becomes Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite . (75 nights)
Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador becomes Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite. (100 nights + $20,000 spend)
Print Wikipost

Say Hello to Marriott Bonvoy, launches Feb 13, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:00 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
it has nearly zero purpose nowadays.
How else can the MVCI sales person get ahold of you to entice you to wasting a few hours of your time?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by hhoope01
How else can the MVCI sales person get hold of you to entice you to wasting a few hours of your time?
Not sure if you're being serious or not, but that's never happened to me. (Then again, I never pick up the room's phone, as I always assume it's someone who's mis-dialed an inter-hotel number)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
They could have had mine. For nearly a decade among the first things I do is stick the bedside room phone under the bed so I don't accidentally bump it; it has nearly zero purpose nowadays.
I disagree as I want to always have a quick and easy way to reach the front desk (or hotel security) in an emergency. Moreover, when I'm overseas, I don't want to have to pay or use Skype to reach housekeeping, room service, etc. I also value having an easy low-tech foolproof way to request a wake up call when needed, especially for early flights.
Dr. HFH likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:14 pm

Perhaps in room phone should be added to list of Bonvoy benefits, and non-members should be charged for the phone.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I also value having an easy low-tech foolproof way to request a wake up call when needed, especially for early flights.
I personally can't imagine counting on hotel staff/technology to help me ensure I catch an early flight, but then again I'm known to have trust issues (with Marriott).
margarita girl and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I personally can't imagine counting on hotel staff/technology to help me ensure I catch an early flight, but then again I'm known to have trust issues (with Marriott).
When I have an early flight, I want to use as many different alarm devices as possible: my own travel alarm clock, the room alarm clock supplied by the hotel, my iPhone, the TV, the hotel room phone, etc.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
When I have an early flight, I want to use as many different alarm devices as possible: my own travel alarm clock, the room alarm clock supplied by the hotel, my iPhone, the TV, the hotel room phone, etc.
You sound even worse than me with early flights! Hate those things with a passion, but sometimes they simply can't be avoided.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by magendim
I disagree also. Were you ever a top tier customer with Starwood? If so, you would have immediately seen the difference in customer service between Marriott and Starwood. I've had Starwood hotel management go out of their way so many times to accommodate me for upgrades, early check in, free happy hours or come out and greet me, leave a welcome gift in the room, invite me to property events, etc.
No ... but I was a top tier customer with Marriott. Generally pre 8/18 experiences were far better before Marriott adopted the SPG approach.

I'm on my fourth legacy SPG property of 2019 because of travel patterns. I was upgraded to a larger room once and to a club floor on another time. Each stay, I've been greeted as a thank you for being a Platinum. So no, even as a PPE+A at legacy SPG properties, I haven't been accommodated for upgrades, free happy hours, or a unexpected gift.

So, if I was a 25 stay Plat under the old SPG property, I can see why you wouldn't like the combination. But, if you're a 100+ night a year guest, the pre 8/18 program for Marriott Plat Premiers was far better than the current situation.

Hoping that it will get better after 2/13 when the program adopts a more traditional Marriott approach, Of course, it all depends on the hotels and their GM's.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I want to always have a quick and easy way to reach the front desk
This is the only thing I use the in-room phone for, but it's an absolute must. Depending on the property, I might make 10+ in-house calls a day - whether for room service, laundry, concierge, butler service, or to have the valets bring up my car.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is the only thing I use the in-room phone for, but it's an absolute must. Depending on the property, I might make 10+ in-house calls a day - whether for room service, laundry, concierge, butler service, or to have the valets bring up my car.
I have discovered the chat feature on my app on this trip. It is awesome. It only works a couple of days before arrival, during the stay and maybe a day afterwards. I used it to contact the Athenee after I forgot an item in my room, the Le Meridien to ask about lounge hours and yesterday, I asked for ice to be delivered to my room at the JW Phu Quoc while I was relaxing on the beach. Every time, a hotel employee responded to me within 30 seconds.

I dont know how long it’s been available, but definitely an amazing feature on the app. I wish it was available on all pending reservations, but I’ll take what I can get for now.

I know I diss Marriott IT a lot, but this is one thing they got right! ^
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by margarita girl

I have discovered the chat feature on my app on this trip. It is awesome. It only works a couple of days before arrival, during the stay and maybe a day afterwards. I used it to contact the Athenee after I forgot an item in my room, the Le Meridien to ask about lounge hours and yesterday, I asked for ice to be delivered to my room at the JW Phu Quoc while I was relaxing on the beach. Every time, a hotel employee responded to me within 30 seconds.

I dont know how long it’s been available, but definitely an amazing feature on the app. I wish it was available on all pending reservations, but I’ll take what I can get for now.

I know I diss Marriott IT a lot, but this is one thing they got right! ^
Yes, the chat feature is great. Been around for a few years at least. Much more convenient than calling the front desk from a land line as you don’t need to be in your room as you’ve learned.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:49 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I have discovered the chat feature on my app on this trip. It is awesome.

I had no idea about this. Thanks for bringing it up.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by magendim
I disagree also. Were you ever a top tier customer with Starwood? If so, you would have immediately seen the difference in customer service between Marriott and Starwood.
I was not, but this is exactly my point. You can't expect the acquiring company to use all the systems and policies of the acquiree. That's what makes the UA-CO merger different because they did exactly that. It's not the norm when one company acquires another.

Comparing processes/policies/service to a company that no longer exists because it was bought is not useful. I believe Starwood was different. Grieve that it's gone but it's not fair to take it out on Marriott. You can dislike the new Marriott, but now it needs to be compared to Hilton, Hyatt, etc.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JBord
I was not, but this is exactly my point. You can't expect the acquiring company to use all the systems and policies of the acquiree. That's what makes the UA-CO merger different because they did exactly that. It's not the norm when one company acquires another....
You have it backwards. In truth, CO acquired UA and just about the only thing they wanted to keep was the UA name. This caused most of the confusion since the new airline was really CO in UA drag. The fact that those CO guys had bitten off more than they could chew was what caused most of the problems since they had gotten rid of anyone who knew how to run an airline of that size.

It's a lot different here but the problems are not of the magnitude that overwhelmed Smisek and his gang.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
+100! I have "alarm insecurity" if I need to get up much earlier than normal.
One night at a Sheraton, I had an early appointment the next morning, so I requested a wake-up call. I also set the alarm in the room, as well as my phone alarm. The hotel had a power outage during the night which re-set the alarm clock to flashing 12:00, and also canceled all wake-up calls somehow. The only alarm that went off was my phone. My husband thinks my redundant systems are nuts but for early flights they are a must!
Twickenham and satman40 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.