Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Say Hello to Marriott Bonvoy, launches Feb 13, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
New Tier Names. This applies to Lifetime naming as well.

Platinum Premier Elite becomes Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite . (75 nights)
Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador becomes Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite. (100 nights + $20,000 spend)
Print Wikipost

Say Hello to Marriott Bonvoy, launches Feb 13, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by quinella66

I agree that it makes no sense, not only is titanium not really a precious metal but no one would intuitively guess that titanium is above platinum. They would have been better off using diamond like Hilton and Delta did to make it obvious that it is above platinum.

And now, I can't get that song out of my head (you know, the one written by Roger Waters, et al.) ♫Shine on you crazy Titanium .. you reached for that upgrade too soon, you cried like a loon ...♫
bosman and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Define "meaningful."

How exactly has Platinum status been "degraded" anyway? If you were coming from legacy Marriott, the 50-night level (now Platinum, was Gold) is actually better - by getting the Platinum Welcome gift and guaranteed late checkout which the old Gold did not have.
For SPG Platinums, yes it has been degraded/devalued. Platinum was the SPG top tier that got almost everything - SNAs, Lounge, Welcome Gift/Breakfast, Late checkout, etc, including generous upgrades. Now platinums are two tiers down from the top so those folks will be hearing a lot of "you already have a nice room" when inquiring about upgrades. The fact is Marriott butchered the best hotel loyalty program and is trying to throw enough scraps out to keep the lower tier members coming.
Sabai and seanp7 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by magendim
For SPG Platinums, yes it has been degraded/devalued. Platinum was the SPG top tier that got almost everything - SNAs, Lounge, Welcome Gift/Breakfast, Late checkout, etc, including generous upgrades. Now platinums are two tiers down from the top so those folks will be hearing a lot of "you already have a nice room" when inquiring about upgrades. The fact is Marriott butchered the best hotel loyalty program and is trying to throw enough scraps out to keep the lower tier members coming.
Wasn't there P75 and P100 above P50?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Wasn't there P75 and P100 above P50?
Those were not additional tiers above Platinum, you just got more perks when you hit 75 and 100 nights. For instance, you got Your 24 & additional points at 75 nights and an ambassador assigned at 100 night. I was mainly a Starwood guy over the years but stayed at Marriott as my second choice since we had a lot of corporate room blocks at Marriott. Hands down, SPG was the better and more generous program in almost every way and I've found recognition at Marriott, particularly in the US, was always pretty apathetic. I even had a number of hard core Marriott colleagues defect to SPG when they saw the perks I was getting compared to them and needing less nights to get them.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by scubadu
You would make a decision to join or not join a hotel loyalty program based on the marketing name of the program? Seriously?

Regards
Well, not just the name, but the whole package. If it's presented attractively with enough earning and burning, as well as status gaining, options then that would be a good motivation to join up and give it a go. If the overall program is attractive then it's definitely worth a try. As for the name, it will probably change in time if it ends up being hated so much. The name is just a name, the content of the program is what matters.

Originally Posted by swintec
What do you plan on doing? Projecting the logo and name on your living room wall and staring at it? A new name wont make the actual hotels any more inspiring to you.
When SWISS International Air Lines began back in the early 2000s, I almost bought a table lamp with the square logo and red theme because I liked it so much. They were flogging them at the ticket desks at the time. But no, spending too much time in the air did not mean that I wanted to be permanently reminded of sitting on a plane back home. I think at home it's good to get away from all this, because we are on the road enough as it is. As I said, if the overall program package is good, I will join up. If not, I won't bother, and you can all go on squabbling about it if that's what rocks your boats.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
And now, I can't get that song out of my head (you know, the one written by Roger Waters, et al.) ♫Shine on you crazy Titanium .. you reached for that upgrade too soon, you cried like a loon ...♫
LOL. Try this one.

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Can’t get this song out of my head now!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JRfuAukYTKg
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
The irony is that the person running loyalty for Marriott was the #2 guy at SPG. He's a good guy, but I have a feeling he doesn't have control over things like IT and communication with members as part of Marriott's massive corporate structure. I put blame on the CEO Sorenson who clearly hasn't backed up his own words that loyalty is key to this merger. He miscalculated that retaining SPG members is as simple as restructuring the program to being closer to the SPG model, not taking into account the customer experience Starwood worked so hard to align between loyalty, IT/mobile, customer care, loyalty point persons at each property, etc.
This merger reminds me of the CO/UA merger. All the lousy aspects of CO (like their website/ticketing system) were steamrolled upon UA since CO and that a'hole Smisek were running the show. They only cared about their bottom line and could care less about customer service.
uxb and UA-NYC like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SP03
No one is saying they will stop staying at Marriott because of the name. But that doesn't mean people can't criticize how ridiculous this name is and how wasteful it has been to spend money on marketing and rebranding when they should be spend money on delivering more benefits.
Originally Posted by bhrubin
No one is saying that they will stop staying at Marriott because of the name. So that doesn't mean people can't find the criticisms of the name to be just as ridiculous. ... And no one wasted your money.
I said the same thing when the AA rebranding started. No one is making a decision on which flight to purchase based on how the planes are painted; so it doesn't matter. Because of that, I'm not sure that spending tens of millions of dollars on rebranding while the airline was going through bankruptcy was the best use of its limited assets, given that the rebranding almost certainly didn't produce any additional revenue.

Other than giving us FTers something to kibbitz about, the name isn't going to matter in the long (and short, probably, too) run.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Jan 20, 2019 at 9:11 pm
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ethernal
Technically the 777 has far less titanium by weight than a 787. The aluminum alloys used don't include much titanium at all, and titanium is used selectively in the airplane.

Why didn't go with Bonvoy Aluminium or Carbon Fiber?
All true . I still don't want to trade those titanium bits for gold
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Perhaps some Bonvoyageurs will solve that problem by pronouncing it BONE-voy.
"Oy-WAY" !
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:31 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I already hear that as a future "Titanium" member. SNAs will be the way forward in re: upgrades.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Those were not additional tiers above Platinum, you just got more perks when you hit 75 and 100 nights. For instance, you got Your 24 & additional points at 75 nights and an ambassador assigned at 100 night.
Isn’t that the pretty much the same thing that’s happening now, they just have different names? There aren’t really many clearly defined benefits for PP/Titanium over Plat and Amb over PP/Titanium.

Yeah upgrades are probably the main thing that one could argue has been “downgraded” for the new Plat (other than SPGers who got Plat with 25-49 nights, that is a pretty big downgrade since Gold is pretty worthless), but it’s now the largest hotel program in the world, it’s a little unrealistic IMO for everyone to expect top tier upgrades at 50-74 nights when as you can see there are many people with a lot more nights than that (although yes even some of those people are not happy with their upgrades or lack thereof.).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
This merger reminds me of the CO/UA merger. All the lousy aspects of CO (like their website/ticketing system) were steamrolled upon UA since CO and that a'hole Smisek were running the show. They only cared about their bottom line and could care less about customer service.
It's actually kind of the opposite. UA acquired CO, and all those lousy aspects of CO. In this case, Marriott acquired SPG, and for the most part has integrated it into the Marriott program, while adding a few of the SPG perks, such as SNA's and an easier-to-obtain lifetime status program.

People seem to forget what made the UA-CO deal so horrendous. When one company acquires another, you expect the acquired company to integrate into the program. It was a total shock when CO was acquired and then all it's systems and policies were implemented at UA -- it resulted in a case where none of it's customers were happy, regardless of whether they were legacy UA or CO. In our case, legacy Marriott customers have had few changes, and the ones they've had are largely positive.

It's interesting to see how one's perspectives change as a customer depending on what side of the acquisition you were on. In most industries you see it with employees, but not often customers.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
OTOH:

I kind of like "Bonvoy." And the merger gave me a chance to get a lifetime top tier, and many more hotels to spend and earn. I never used SW much before, there was always a MR or HH nearby, now I can and still earn points in one of my primary accounts. Finally,they can call it "Lifetime Bronze" for all I care, as long as the FDC knows what it means.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JBord
It's actually kind of the opposite. UA acquired CO, and all those lousy aspects of CO.
While it was technically an acquisition by UA based on the relative stock valuations, in truth it was a CO takeover. That's why Jeff Smisek became CEO of the new entity (and quickly replaced virtually all former UA senior management with CO cronies). And CO's management kept the far inferior CO reservation system (SHARES) over UA's (Apollo) purely to save money. We're still paying the price for that decision.

So I think the analogy to what Marriott has done to SPG does have some relevance.
magendim and UA-NYC like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.