Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Say Hello to Marriott Bonvoy, launches Feb 13, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
New Tier Names. This applies to Lifetime naming as well.

Platinum Premier Elite becomes Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite . (75 nights)
Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador becomes Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite. (100 nights + $20,000 spend)
Print Wikipost

Say Hello to Marriott Bonvoy, launches Feb 13, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Is it only me or does the Marriott-released video promoting Bonvoy mispronounce Marriott? It pronounces Marriott as "merri-yacht" whereas I've always understood -- and heard Marriott corporate -- pronounce it as "merry-itt"
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
"merri-yacht" "merry-itt"
I'm sure that many global voices will say "neither". Is there ever a "correct" way of pronouncing things ?

Anyhoo, never mind about Marry-Ott, what about Tie-Tanium vs Tit-Tanium ….
Scarpa257 and remymartin like this.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jan 16, 2019 at 8:21 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Even to spell out and say the whole thing - Bon Voyage - would have been better.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by jpdx
Take it from this Hyatt Globalist, Marriott could have done a lot worse with the name.
Logo looks better than Hyatt's design from Microsoft Paint.
KRSW, Twickenham and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by secretalcoholic; Jan 16, 2019 at 8:26 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Prepare for further IT meltdowns.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thank you Arne Sorenson for making Marriott GREAT again!

Newman
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:39 am
soy

Programs: various
So instead of fixing the mess, they have spent the money on rebranding the current PoS with a dumb name.

The only good thing about the Bonfire program is the clear distinction between the different levels, but we did not need a new program name to achieve that. In any case I remain skeptical on the consistent delivery of benefits even with the level names.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
At a time like this I like to imagine the group of people sitting around a table and deciding "Okay, Bonvoy, that's the one!"

What were the other (worse?) options?
Twickenham, wrp96 and remymartin like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:01 am

And here starts the screwing of existing members chasing lifetime platinum. They closed the level that was LTPPE. I think that is titanium now. When they did it I was really worried they would differentiate those people who were LTPPE fro LTP. They swore up and down it did not matter.

They then did exactly what I feared. Marriott created a tier now that I cannot reach no matter how many nights I stay lifetime. That is the dumbest thing they did with the tiers - there is zero motivation to go beyond 600 nights now. I guess for the next few years I will keep the credit card, stay the 35 nights and move the bulk of my business to someone else (hyatt?). If marriott wants all my business they need to behave like they desire it - not like I am lucky to stay at their hotels.

I am floored with the level of stupidity involved in this merger. This makes UA/CO look like it was run by geniuses.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:06 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by downinit
Does this imply that hotels are going to follow the atrocious USA airline model and start imposing both PQS and PQD requirements for status? Doesn't really affect me since my only status is from CC, but it's definitely not good for people who spend too much time staying on per diem rates or in crappy suburban hotels that are less than $200/night. Its also an impossible goal for people in many parts of the world, including much of Asia, where even the nicer hotels can be easily had for well under $200/night.
You’re a little late to the party, since the Ambassador $20K spending threshold was announced last summer and became active on Aug 18, 2018. Whether or not Marriott introduces spending thresholds for the other elite tiers remains to be seen.

I personally expect they eventually will introduce a spending minimum for Titanium, as well. But that could be years from now or never happen. Who knows?

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 16, 2019 at 9:20 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:13 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by drewbles
Hyatt: "We have the world's worst possible loyalty program name! No one can make it worse!"

Marriott: 'Hold my beer...'
Hyatt: “ You can complain about our loyalty program name all you like, but we unquestionably offer the best top tier elite benefits of any hotel loyalty program—if you can find us, that is.”

Marriott: “Our loyalty program name is slightly less annoying than Hyatt’s, but we unquestionably offer the best portfolio of hotels and perhaps the best top tier elite benefits of any hotel loyalty program—once we get the IT fixed, that is.”
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
BonVoy (age) may be the best approach to this program as all they only seem to worried about their image. Functionality is the key test of any program and theirs is sorely lacking.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by MrM2016
I hope adequate training is provided to front desk associates with this change. It's not intuitive at all that Titanium sits above Gold/Platinum.
It sounds like there will no longer be any level call "Platinum".
Ambassador
Titanium
Gold
Peon

I hate the new name and would be embarrassed to utter the word.
urbanventurer likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:27 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
And here starts the screwing of existing members chasing lifetime platinum. They closed the level that was LTPPE. I think that is titanium now. When they did it I was really worried they would differentiate those people who were LTPPE fro LTP. They swore up and down it did not matter.

They then did exactly what I feared. Marriott created a tier now that I cannot reach no matter how many nights I stay lifetime. That is the dumbest thing they did with the tiers - there is zero motivation to go beyond 600 nights now. I guess for the next few years I will keep the credit card, stay the 35 nights and move the bulk of my business to someone else (hyatt?). If marriott wants all my business they need to behave like they desire it - not like I am lucky to stay at their hotels.

I am floored with the level of stupidity involved in this merger. This makes UA/CO look like it was run by geniuses.
This isn’t news; Marriott had announced last summer that the new Lifetime Plat Premier status (now to be called Lifetime Titanium) would only be offered once—with that sweep coming sometime this month or perhaps around the Feb 13 introduction of the new Bonvoy program. This Lifetime Titanium level was never to be offered again.

Chances are good that the bulk of Lifetime Titanium members are older and are expected to not be a significant proportion of Marriott Bonvoy elites in the coming years. So the fact that one can only attain Lifetime Titanium status based on pre-2019 qualifications might not make much of a difference after another 5-10 years or so. Marriott is counting on that, I’m sure, and has done the statistical analysis to feel comfortable with that.

Other than getting a few more points (negligible), having suite upgrade potential at Ritz-Carlton/Edition (which doesn’t seem to happen much anyway), and having suite upgrade priority over regular Platinums (which would happen with regular Ambassador and Titanium guests, anyway), I don’t think it’s going to be that big a deal in the end.
tods27, damon88, darcyt and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:30 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Is it only me or does the Marriott-released video promoting Bonvoy mispronounce Marriott? It pronounces Marriott as "merri-yacht" whereas I've always understood -- and heard Marriott corporate -- pronounce it as "merry-itt"
See the video here and you will see both the interviewer and Arne pronounce it “merri-yawt”.

Marriott CEO: Here's Why We Did the $13.6 Billion Starwood Deal | Fortune

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.