Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Iceland (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTPP

Can anyone give some recommendation for Marriott hotels in Iceland?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Safti
There are currently two Design hotels in Reykjavik and one Design hotel in Nesjavellir.

An EDITION hotel is supposed to open this year or next year in Reykjavik.

There was an announcement last year that Marriott is planning 30 new Courtyards in Europe by year-end 2020, including expansion into Iceland. (Such an announcement may represent a goal more than a solid plan,)

Okay, I know these aren't recommendations. I'm just making a statement about the limited footprint of Marriott in Iceland.

See this FlyerTalk thread for more: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...k-iceland.html

Last edited by Horace; Jan 15, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Horace. I read that as well and am hoping someone will be able to make a recommendation as well.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do other chains have bigger footprints in Iceland?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
There are 2 similar hotels close together in Reykjavik, plus another out in the middle of nowhere, and that's it.

What sort of recommendation advice are you seeking here ?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do other chains have bigger footprints in Iceland?
No, Hilton and Radisson have 2-3 hotels in the Reykjavik area. It doesn't seem like it would be economically viable to cover much more geographically of Iceland, though Hilton does better cover the price range (FS and midrange Canopy).
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
There are 2 similar hotels close together in Reykjavik, plus another out in the middle of nowhere, and that's it.

What sort of recommendation advice are you seeking here ?
I want to go to Iceland for 5-6 days. I have a travel package but don't know if using in Reykjavik is the best idea. The package cannot be split between two hotels and if I stay in Reykjavik only, will I be able to tour the other locations in the country for a day.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:02 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
5 nights in Reykjavik is not ideal- most people will do at least 1-2 nights further out to give you better access to more variety. Having said that, there is quite a bit you can explore from the city on a day trip, including most of the most famous touristic sites.

If it’s a special trip to Iceland I would avoid using the certificate. If you’re just looking for a fun week without any hotel costs, then you could do worse.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I want to go to Iceland for 5-6 days. I have a travel package but don't know if using in Reykjavik is the best idea. The package cannot be split between two hotels and if I stay in Reykjavik only, will I be able to tour the other locations in the country for a day.
TBH, basing in Reykjavik for the whole 5-6 days isn’t ideal, as it’s a big country and you’ll be doing long hours of driving if you're doing out-and-back trips every day.

If you look at the typical 5-6 day tour itineraries, (there are serval good ones online) they generally follow a circular route with some nights away from Reykjavik. That’s what I did and what I would recommend.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:58 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
We;ll be staying at the Ion Adventure in September. Looks amazing. We've driven past it before so looking forward to it
Old Jul 21, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
We;ll be staying at the Ion Adventure in September. Looks amazing. We've driven past it before so looking forward to it
And, some 4.5 years later, I ask how was it (if you ended up going there)?
Old Jul 23, 2023, 7:15 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by ohmark
And, some 4.5 years later, I ask how was it (if you ended up going there)?
Good question!

It was beautiful. Service was outstanding. Pool is located mostly under the hotel, so protected from Iceland's regular rains, although part of it sticks out so if you are there during an Aurora showing you could see the lights, in theory, from the warm pool. It is in the middle of nowhere, so unless you want to take a 25-30 minute drive, or further, or you are "picnicking" you are going to be eating at the hotel, and that wasn't cheap. But their dinner and breakfast were delicious. Fans of the show "Succession" might recognize it from some scenes in Season 1 or 2 (I forget which).

Great hiking trails nearby. I hope if you go you enjoy it as much as we did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.