Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Extra person" charges, especially on award stays

"Extra person" charges, especially on award stays

Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Westin Maui and Sheraton did not charge these fees the last few times we stayed there and they were not added by the website when booking. The fact that this is happening in multiple cities with properties claiming it is incorrect (see the Vancouver thread) since the website change over and the fact that several of us have had four in a room in these very properties recently without paying an extra $178 makes the glitch theory worth looking at.

If in fact it is intentional and permanent I imagine we will know soon enough.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Westin told me ok to book for two and make a note about the children in comments.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by FrustratedinCA
This isn't a new policy or anything specific to Marriott. Hiltons across Hawaii (particularly the Hilton Hawaiian Village) do the same.
Nope. Just checked several Hilton Hotels in Hawaii (including HHV) and all gave me the exact same price for 2 adults or 2 adults and 1 child. If you add a third adult instead, the prices were often higher.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I have this issue for Sheraton Waikiki where Marriott website is charging $50USD per kid/night for extra person charges. I sent the hotel an email, and I received a response from them where they said all their rooms can take 2 adults and 2 children up to 17 years of age, and the Marriott website has errors.

The email is in the post below:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30726659-post932.html

So I strongly suggest you email the hotel directly to confirm/check. Yes they should have fixed the website issue but if you really want to stay at a particular hotel it is worth emailing them.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:11 am

For award redemptions, I'll just leave this part of the Marriott Rewards T&C (bolding mine). Properties are blatantly ignoring Marriott's rules, though, so take anything in their T&C with a grain of salt. I tried to fight this at a couple of properties, but both refused to budge and I gave up trying to escalate on the Marriott side.

3.2.e. When redeeming Points for an Award Redemption Stay, the Award Redemption Stay includes the cost of a single or double standard room at a Participating Property, room tax/service charge, and extra-person charges, if any. All other charges, including incidentals, resort fees and The Ritz-Carlton Club level charges, are the responsibility of the Member and are not included in the Award Redemption Stay.

i. Standard rooms vary between Participating Properties and Participating Brands. Upgraded rooms, including upgrades based on size, view, services, and/or suites, are available at a higher Points cost, as described in Section 3.3.

ii. With an Award Redemption Stay, bedding and smoking preferences may be requested, but are not guaranteed.

iii. At the following all-inclusive properties, the Points redeemed for an Award Redemption Stay include the cost of up to two people in the standard room and room tax. Extra-person charges for the third, fourth, or more guests in the room is an additional fee and is not included in the Award Redemption as form of payment. This fee as well as all other property charges are the responsibility of the Loyalty Program Member and are not included in the Award Redemption Stay.

• The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, Costa Rica
• Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, Panama
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:03 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
I just posted a question about this in the Westin Panama thread. I edited my reservations to include 2 adults in each room only.

Last edited by jamflyer; Feb 1, 2019 at 11:10 am
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Similar to the Sheraton in San Diego. The website says there is an extra person charge, but when I called the hotel directly they say no charge for extra adult.

I suggest you call the hotel and get a confirmation of whether or not they charge for an extra child and or adult
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
My experience has been that the Marriott.com website is not able to distinguish children under and above the age of 12. So I always had to contact the hotels directly if not making the correction upon check-in.
For example we stayed at Courtyard Taipei in 2018 and marriott.com added two "extra-person charges" even though I specified my kids are both under 12.
Upon check-in the staff verified with me and promptly removed those two charges.
I am booking a room at JW Marriott Venice for two adults and 1 kid this year. The booking system always adds an "Extra Person Fee" but my kid is only 8 years old.
(Even though the website itself says the fee is only applicable to children over 12.)
I did email the hotel and they confirmed the fee is indeed only applicable to older kids.

I hope Marriott can fix this issue with their booking system so that we don't have to waste so much time contacting every hotel and/or trying to correct the bills upon check-in/check-outs.
It shouldn't be that hard to add a check to differentiate an 8 years old kid from a 15 yo.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy LTT, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yjc281
I hope Marriott can fix this issue with their booking system so that we don't have to waste so much time contacting every hotel and/or trying to correct the bills upon check-in/check-outs.
It shouldn't be that hard to add a check to differentiate an 8 years old kid from a 15 yo.
I'm glad this is getting more attention; it's been a big frustration of mine for the past several months. It's evident that it's not just a few isolated properties, but widespread.

While the Lurker indicated upthread he had no luck in getting this addressed so far, I hope he can at least continue to raise the flag with Marriott IT that there is an issue here.

Forcing customers to contact hotels directly to confirm the correct rate is an unwelcome hassle for everyone.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

TPG covered it but it's not getting much traction. Maybe as compared to all their other IT challenges, it's not much of a priority.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...ward-bookings/
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Originally Posted by Darksun
For award redemptions, I'll just leave this part of the Marriott Rewards T&C (bolding mine). Properties are blatantly ignoring Marriott's rules, though, so take anything in their T&C with a grain of salt. I tried to fight this at a couple of properties, but both refused to budge and I gave up trying to escalate on the Marriott side.
I always book myself only for award redemptions and then check us all in. I have never had a problem, including several award stays in Hawaii.

It looks like the T&Cs are clear; Award stays include all extra person charges.

YMMV
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
I booked a 7 night travel package to Maui w/ a rep recently and I was not charged an extra person fees even though there are 2A and 2C in the room. But yes, if this is the norm, it makes it very hard for families to travel. I've only encountered this problem with Hilton and most of the time, a rep or the hotel confirms that I only need to put 2A if I have kids joining us.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
Suspect that a short newspaper headline about "Anti-family policies at Marriott" would rapidly spin up IT resources.

The surprises we encountered at Moana Surfrider were:
- I added a second room for the two kids. It would up not being adjacent and lost any platinum benefits, including breakfast at the beach club (is that being lost to platinums?)
- we had six nights and so made a one paid night and 4 nights with the 5th free. Upgrade was processed for the single night and missed for the 5 nights, so was assigned a room change after 1st night. Nights 2-6 were still not adjacent to second room.

Should have called hotel and not relied on reservations.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cyberjet
. . .

The surprises we encountered at Moana Surfrider were:
- I added a second room for the two kids. It would up not being adjacent and lost any platinum benefits, including breakfast at the beach club (is that being lost to platinums?)

. . .
Elite benefits are only for one room and that is the room occupied by the elite member. However, depending on the hotel, YMMV.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:26 am

This is 100% IT failure. And it's happening a lot of places. Sheraton on the falls agents called the hotel and were told that it's the new software and they dont charge for children despite the website and the agents booking software(because they're one and the same) showing additional charges. The only places I'm aware of charging extra for children are the all inclusives and even those are having some issues with children showing up as adults in the new software despite the hotel telling the agents they're showing the correct mix of adults and kids. It's making the agents life very difficult in a myriad of ways and guests, because of the poor level of service lately dont trust the agents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.