Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Extra person" charges, especially on award stays

"Extra person" charges, especially on award stays

Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
Has anyone used the terms and conditions on Marriott site to get out of paying extra person charge while at the property?
I have 0 problem booking as 2 people and clarifying the issue with the hotel when it becomes necessary. In my experience, it's easier fighting a charge getting put on as opposed to getting a charge removed.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Just to follow up again re: award stays... made a few since the change and always just book 2 adults on the reservation and then check in as normal with the kids when we get to the hotel. Never a problem for us.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
So, the T&C says:

3.2.e. When redeeming Points for an Award Redemption Stay, the Award Redemption Stay includes the cost of a single or double standard room at a Participating Property, room tax/service charge, and extra-person charges, if any
My interpretation is that extra-person charges are included as long as what you booked was a single or double standard room.

I notice on our recent summer stays in Europe properties, where every room was redeemed with 2 adults + 1 child, we weren't charged an "extra person" fee, but were charged an "extra bed" fee where we asked for a rollaway. That extra bed fee went as high as $100/nt. Ridiculous...

Two locations had pull-out couches -- there was no extra charge.

In the one location that the reservation said there was an extra person charge, they waived it when asked about it. They had an extra bed charge anyways.

The only place the award didn't work as expected was the property that made us get 2 rooms, since max occupancy was 2, even though they had 2 double beds in the room.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Extra person charges are separate from Maximum Room Occupancy figures and charges for a roll away. They are three distinct items and my experiences so far validate that.

Originally Posted by YYJMSP
So, the T&C says:

My interpretation is that extra-person charges are included as long as what you booked was a single or double standard room.

I notice on our recent summer stays in Europe properties, where every room was redeemed with 2 adults + 1 child, we weren't charged an "extra person" fee, but were charged an "extra bed" fee where we asked for a rollaway. That extra bed fee went as high as $100/nt. Ridiculous...

Two locations had pull-out couches -- there was no extra charge.

In the one location that the reservation said there was an extra person charge, they waived it when asked about it. They had an extra bed charge anyways.

The only place the award didn't work as expected was the property that made us get 2 rooms, since max occupancy was 2, even though they had 2 double beds in the room.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by dav3d
Extra Person Fees & Disney World Swan

I decided to call to ask about the "extra person policy" for the hotel so I called the hotel and selected "reservations". (Pro-tip don't do this - it goes to the Marriot global reservation system.You want to select "guest services" at the hotel you're staying at). But in the process of talking to corporate, I learned that a new Marriot policy for extra person fees just went into effect on August 13, 2019. Apparently, this gives individual properties much more discretion to charge extra person fees beyond two adults in the room (including children), but he stressed the exact policy is up to the individual property and suggested I call Disney Swan in the morning and check with them directly.
Thanks for posting your experience! I just went through this tonight. We are staying at the Dolphin next week. I booked our stay months ago and paid it in full as it was an Advance Purchase rate. At the time of booking, I had listed 3 people in the room (2 adults and 1 child - 12 years old). The total was $1020 and there was no extra person fee listed. We linked our reservation to MDE and booked our dining and FP just fine.

This evening, I went online to confirm the reservation and I saw that an extra person fee of $100 was showing up now with a total for the stay listed as $1132. We were just there in May with our son and we hadn't been charged for him then, so I called the member support line. The first person I spoke with claimed it was a new policy as of 8/13/2019. She transferred me to a manager who looked up the Dolphin and claimed that this hotel charges for "every heartbeat in the room". I mentioned that my room payment is non-refundable and they can't just add on a new fee without giving me the option of canceling the room. He then escalated it with the hotel and told me I would hear back in 7-10 business days.

Less than an hour later, I got a call directly from Guest Services at the Swan/Dolphin apologizing for the miscommunication and she said that the system was showing my reservations as 3 adults and that is why the fee was added. She said she would make a note in my reservation that it was 2 adults and 1 child and that children are NOT charged an extra person fee at the Dolphin. She was very nice and very apologetic about this and I feel so much better!
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:31 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Marriott fixes bug that added fees to reservations that included children

https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...ion-fee-fixed/

Additional child fees are no longer displaying at Marriott.com for any of the properties we searched, including:
Previously, these were some of the properties that were incorrectly adding on additional fees for children. We are awaiting final confirmation from Marriott that this bug has been fixed across the system, but our tests show that the added child fees may be a problem of the past for Marriott.
margarita girl and dav3d like this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Katherine Ferris
Thanks for posting your experience! I just went through this tonight. We are staying at the Dolphin next week. I booked our stay months ago and paid it in full as it was an Advance Purchase rate. At the time of booking, I had listed 3 people in the room (2 adults and 1 child - 12 years old). The total was $1020 and there was no extra person fee listed. We linked our reservation to MDE and booked our dining and FP just fine.

This evening, I went online to confirm the reservation and I saw that an extra person fee of $100 was showing up now with a total for the stay listed as $1132. We were just there in May with our son and we hadn't been charged for him then, so I called the member support line. The first person I spoke with claimed it was a new policy as of 8/13/2019. She transferred me to a manager who looked up the Dolphin and claimed that this hotel charges for "every heartbeat in the room". I mentioned that my room payment is non-refundable and they can't just add on a new fee without giving me the option of canceling the room. He then escalated it with the hotel and told me I would hear back in 7-10 business days.

Less than an hour later, I got a call directly from Guest Services at the Swan/Dolphin apologizing for the miscommunication and she said that the system was showing my reservations as 3 adults and that is why the fee was added. She said she would make a note in my reservation that it was 2 adults and 1 child and that children are NOT charged an extra person fee at the Dolphin. She was very nice and very apologetic about this and I feel so much better!
How old is your "child" at the time of the current stay and also at the time of the previous stay? Various properties define the age range of children differently for occupancy rules and payments.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How old is your "child" at the time of the current stay and also at the time of the previous stay? Various properties define the age range of children differently for occupancy rules and payments.
And this is my frustration with Marriott - they don't post what age is a child for each of the individual hotels. I don't know how many chains do, but now that my son is a teenager, it is very relevant to us.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy LTT, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by joeags
And this is my frustration with Marriott - they don't post what age is a child for each of the individual hotels. I don't know how many chains do, but now that my son is a teenager, it is very relevant to us.
Starwood posted the child policy clearly for most properties, e.g. "12 and under free in existing bedding." No guessing required. For some reason Marriott decided they should remove that information. Compound that with removing email contact info for the hotel, and you have even more frustration.

This (potentially) fixed IT bug helps somewhat, but why does Marriott refuse to provide some basic information about the hotels???
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Ubud
Compound that with removing email contact info for the hotel, and you have even more frustration.
Fizzer posted a work around for locating the hotel email addresses which works very well. I have copied it into the wiki of the email thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...addresses.html
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Katherine Ferris
We linked our reservation to MDE and booked our dining and FP just fine.
I would recommend that you double check your MDE to make sure that the "reservation change" did not break the link.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I was looking at booking a redemption stay for RC Macau for 3 people. When I checked St Regis, JW Marriott and Sheraton, a third-person fe would be added but for RC, nothing was added for a redemption booking.

I emailed the hotel and they showed me an example of a third person fee in a screenshot of a cash booking and insisted this should show in award bookings but it doesnt.

So so if the redemption booking lets me book 3 people with no fee, what can the hotel do? Just charge for a rollaway bed, which I can refuse?

I would have thought that if you book a room for 3 adults and it is accepted, appropriate bedding should be included for 3 adults?!
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
Originally Posted by bhrubin

https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...ion-fee-fixed/
I have been running dummy bookings and the Swan and the Dolphin and every time the extra person fee is coming up. I put ages in of over 12 and 12 and under and still the fee is showing. Obviously the issue with these properties is the Disney FP and dining bookings.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:20 am

Charged more for double occupancy?

I am looking at booking a prepaid rate at a Protea hotel in South Africa. This is for a king room with a stated max occupancy of 2 people. As there will be 2 of us, I changed the number of guests to reflect that and the price went up nearly the equivalent of $10USD. Has anyone seen this? Does a second guest not stay free at Marriott like elites at Hiltons?

edited to make clear this is not a points stay but a prepaid advance purchase rate
Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KRUXED
I am looking at booking a prepaid rate at a Protea hotel in South Africa. This is for a king room with a stated max occupancy of 2 people. As there will be 2 of us, I changed the number of guests to reflect that and the price went up nearly the equivalent of $10USD. Has anyone seen this? Does a second guest not stay free at Marriott like elites at Hiltons?

edited to make clear this is not a points stay but a prepaid advance purchase rate
In some regions, especially Europe, it is customary for the rates to depend on the number of guests for the same room.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.