Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott believes I am a professional body painter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP

checked into the Westin in KL this morning, and I noticed on the paper they presented to me with my contact info and rate that it said body painter as my occupation. I would love to know who they use for data enrichment because I bet they could do better. I did find out that there is a body painter with my name, but there are enough specifics different about us that it should be obvious it’s not me.

have you all seen odd occupations attributed to yourselves?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Pretty sure they have me down for Mall Santa. And I don't even believe in malls anymore.
alanhorgan, KRSW, jwrogers and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by bpauker
checked into the Westin in KL this morning, and I noticed on the paper they presented to me with my contact info and rate that it said body painter as my occupation. I would love to know who they use for data enrichment because I bet they could do better. I did find out that there is a body painter with my name, but there are enough specifics different about us that it should be obvious it’s not me.

have you all seen odd occupations attributed to yourselves?
I note, however, that you have not specifically denied that you are a body painter. "Are you now, or have you ever been...."
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
what exactly does a body painter do????do they simply paint on other's bodies or do they put paint on themselves & roll around on a canvas????
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I checked my invoice for this weekend and was disappointed to note that my profession was blank. I used to routinely claim that I was a poet in upmarket hotels, but I don't know if I've ever been asked my profession at a Marriott.
remymartin and CCIE_Flyer like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Keyser
what exactly does a body painter do????do they simply paint on other's bodies or do they put paint on themselves & roll around on a canvas????
Tattoo artist?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
I am a latex salesman for Vandelay Industries.
mdbe, GregWTravels, Keyser and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Where is there a spot for profession on the invoice? I just checked mine from last week and don't see it. Maybe it's a Westin or SPG-specific thing?

Perhaps we found the real intent behind the SPG data hack .

What I find interesting though is that it brings to life one of my fears about big data - what happens when the data on you is wrong? Can you change it? What if you never find out it's wrong? Maybe not a big deal when it's just your occupation, but what if the OP was tagged as a criminal, sex offender, or dine-and-ditcher?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Did you get a screenshot, by chance? Would love to see it.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:37 am

They have me down as "jedi warrior", which is obvious.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by bpauker
I would love to know who they use for data enrichment because I bet they could do better.
As you are aware, they are not supposed to ask. They may add it to your profile if you tell someone voluntary. They could also Google you or check your Twitter/LinkedIn/Facebook account.

In my case, the field remained blank until I checked in at one of the upper-tier subchains (one that lets you sit down to check-in). Shortly after settling in my room in I got a few "Your profile details have changed" emails from SPG. I checked my profile but didn't notice any changes. On my next check-in at another hotel, the field was filled in, and based on what was there I knew they got it from Google. I didn't tell them at check-in although they were definitely trying to get that information without directly asking for it.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:39 am

Where are you guys seeing this info? I've never seen any space for occupation on any paperwork I've gotten from the hotels, but I'm also usually staying at Marriott properties, not SPG. I also checked my Marriott.com profile and am not seeing any field for it. I don't have a MySpace/FaceBook/Twitter/Linkedin, so perhaps that's why?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by KRSW
Where are you guys seeing this info? I've never seen any space for occupation on any paperwork I've gotten from the hotels, but I'm also usually staying at Marriott properties, not SPG. I also checked my Marriott.com profile and am not seeing any field for it. I don't have a MySpace/FaceBook/Twitter/Linkedin, so perhaps that's why?
I used a corporate rate at an Asian FS Marriott property last year and they asked for a business card (first time I've been asked actually at 50 properties using that rate). On my subsequent visit they had filled in my occupation and employer details based on the business card. This appeared on the document you are asked to sign during check-in outlining your name, address, status level, stay duration, and rate.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Batman's brother
They have me down as "jedi warrior", which is obvious.
First off, Batman had a brother??

This.... this changes everything, and I'm not ready to deal with it.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keyser
They paint bodies. A local outfit (NSFW--there are nipples visible under the paint on the front page): https://skincitybodypainting.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.