Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bogota - W vs JW Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:40 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
For my dates in June, I am booked for W @ 149 USD per night compared to 209 USD per night at JWM, both being flexible rates. After reading this thread I am more hesitant about my choice of the W. The W is more generous with suite upgrades, right? If so I think I will stick with W.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
+1 for this entire comment

With your parents and sharing a room or suite you may want to go for the JW. The W is awesome, one of the best hotels I've been to, but it's an open concept and the bar has some louder music.

If you're going for tourism you can get a refund on the taxes, however I found out that you have to book a refundable rate to do so. I booked a pre-paid, which the W said would be fine, but when I got there I found I couldn't get a refund. Emailing them after my stay with their original emails I simply got a "sorry we told you the wrong thing" and then they quit replying after I asked for a refund.
It's not refundable but rather a package rate (i.e. includes breakfast). The last two times I've staid at this hotel I've had issues with tax refund and I vowed to never stay there again since they confirmed before my visit they would refund the taxes and then at checkout made a big issue of it. You should always triple check your bill in Colombia. I've staid at least 5 times at both the JW and W and I've had billing issues with both: room rate incorrect, funkiness with the rate conversions, mystery minibar charges, taxes that were supposed to be refunded, etc.

W:
  • Pros - Amazing hotel gym, I've always been upgraded to the Fantastic Suite which is amazing, great breakfast buffet in the restaurant, I've had rates as low as $89 USD.
  • Cons - the staff can be a bit standoffish, the location is not great although I do really like the Usaquen neighborhood
JW:
  • Pros - Great but expensive spa treatments, multiple restaurant options (I believe 3), lounge, I've only staid in the a "Junior Suite" which is really just a suite, centrally located for the majority of activities in Bogota
  • Cons - the rates can be astronomical
The JW is a great hotel. This is a highly regarded hotel in Bogota and in fact the President of Colombia was holding meetings when I was staying there this summer.

As for the great taxi debate, I would be more concerned about the taxi drivers pulling petty stuff then any of the millionaire rides of the past. In 2013 a DEA agent was killed during a failed millionaire ride and the government was quick to go after every everyone involved and I believe extradited them to the the US. Regardless, I take Uber everywhere but from the airport. When arriving it's best to arrange transportation.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Antarius
I swear that corporate travel policies are written by people who have never left the country and only source their information from the state department's website.
Up until about three or four years ago, both the JW and the Marriott had armed guards and bomb sniffing dogs at the front door.
CCIE_Flyer and cfabar1 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter

As for the great taxi debate, I would be more concerned about the taxi drivers pulling petty stuff then any of the millionaire rides of the past. In 2013 a DEA agent was killed during a failed millionaire ride and the government was quick to go after every everyone involved and I believe extradited them to the the US. Regardless, I take Uber everywhere but from the airport. When arriving it's best to arrange transportation.
more about it here: https://www.cnn.com/2015/02/19/polit...ans/index.html
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Kacee
Up until about three or four years ago, both the JW and the Marriott had armed guards and bomb sniffing dogs at the front door.
Working dogs are still ever-present. Their handlers are not outwardly armed, but likely are nevertheless. And it's not uncommon for the hotel to be surrounded by armed paramilitary types when dignitaries are in residence, which in my experience is often.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
It's not refundable but rather a package rate (i.e. includes breakfast). The last two times I've staid at this hotel I've had issues with tax refund and I vowed to never stay there again since they confirmed before my visit they would refund the taxes and then at checkout made a big issue of it. You should always triple check your bill in Colombia. I've staid at least 5 times at both the JW and W and I've had billing issues with both: room rate incorrect, funkiness with the rate conversions, mystery minibar charges, taxes that were supposed to be refunded, etc.
Ah I had forgotten about the "package" rate thing. By email they confirmed (not that I'd believe this) that breakfast/wifi coming from a marriott member benefit would make any rate a package rate and I showed them a prepaid rate asking if that specific rate would be fine, which they said it would.

I was just really annoyed that at checkout once I asked for the refund they started to act like they didn't speak any english. Then by email they just said "yes we know we said it would be refundable, sorry about that" and quit replying which was pretty annoying. I even tried emailing Marriott directly but they just pointed me back towards the hotel which didn't respond.

The billing issues are one way to make an otherwise great hotel not so great.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: Free Agent
At 25K points/night, I think the JW is a great deal.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Since it doesn't have a lounge, what does the W do for Plats re: brekkie? Please post so I can update the exec lounge sticky. Thx.

Cheers.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Since it doesn't have a lounge, what does the W do for Plats re: brekkie? Please post so I can update the exec lounge sticky. Thx.

Cheers.
Extensive breakfast buffet in the restaurant. No omelette station but I’ve ordered eggs a la carte without charge.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks! I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Can anyone comment on stays at either property during Covid? What’s the experience like? Restaurant open for some sort of breakfast?
Old Nov 26, 2020, 6:40 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I'd love to visit this hotel. Is it safe to get there? Once you are there is it safe to see the area or best not to leave the W? The images of the hotel itself look magnificent.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 10:35 pm

Just completed a 9 night stay at the W. Restaurant is fully operational and in the second week the breakfast buffet was reopened albeit with servers plating food rather than self-service. Gym and pool were also open during my stay.

I'm Titanium status and got upgraded from a standard room to a Fantastic Suite. Overall a great property that is handling reopening well (temperature checks required for entry to hotel + restaurant).

As far as the area goes I wouldn't say that it's walkable but aside from the La Calendaria area I didn't see much opportunity to stroll around Bogota given the potential to take a wrong turn and end up in the wrong part of town. Uber is certainly cheap enough that getting around is a breeze.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 4:21 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Lifetime Plat, AV Diamond
Why not the Marriott closer to the airport?

I've stayed in most if not all SPG BOG properties -

aloft airport
courtyard airport
Sheraton by the airport
Marriott by the airport
4pts parque 92
W BOG
JW Marriott

I'll never stay or recommend the 4pts - they told us that our adopted daughter couldn't stay because we didn't have the correct Colombian paperwork and booted us on a busy long weekend. Countless emails to my ambassador and always got the same BS response saying they were right and never acknowledged any wrong-doings.

If you like that EDM music in the lounge with big suites then the W could work but if you're planning on having guests *wink* make sure they're registered
The more traditional hotel room JW is there but I've always found the extra costs not worth it compared to the Marriott by the airport which is my go-to when with the family. Very good breakfast and lounge.
The Sheraton has the best pool out of the four but the rooms are a bit outdated...

HTH
Old Nov 27, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jeremiahp
As far as the area goes I wouldn't say that it's walkable but aside from the La Calendaria area I didn't see much opportunity to stroll around Bogota given the potential to take a wrong turn and end up in the wrong part of town.
There are quite a few walkable areas in Bogota, mostly in the north, including in particular the Chapinero/Rosales area in which the JW is located.

If you pay rasonable attention, there is absolutely no reason not to walk (or run or ride) Bogota.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.