Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott vs Hilton (and other hotel program comparisons)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott vs Hilton (and other hotel program comparisons)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by JBord
So very, very true. And if the OP is really staying less than 50 nights, I'm not sure there's a significant difference in benefits between the two chains -- the question is do any of those small differences matter to him. Hilton might get you to a status faster -- I don't pay much attention, but occasionally I'm surprised to find that I've made some type of status in the first 6 months (usually Silver) at Hilton, even though it's by far my secondary option to Marriott.

At under 50 nights/yr, I'd probably be looking purely at the value of points and, IMO, Marriott beats Hilton there. I've slowly accumulated a lot of Hilton points and found that I never find a good way to spend them.
I don't know. Hilton gold looks better than Marriott gold to me. If the OP has a lot of one night stays he might be able to even make diamond. As for the value of the points, while Marriott points are worth more, I also find Hilton points easier to earn, making it all about even to me. YMMV.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I'm Platinum Premier with Marriott and Gold with Hilton.

At Marriott, I get the enhanced internet service for free. At Hilton, I just get the basic service for free.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I don't know. Hilton gold looks better than Marriott gold to me. If the OP has a lot of one night stays he might be able to even make diamond. As for the value of the points, while Marriott points are worth more, I also find Hilton points easier to earn, making it all about even to me. YMMV.
I think the biggest difference is that Hilton Golds get breakfast right? It also requires 40 nights, if that's the OP's counter, which is nearly Platinum at Marriott -- and the Platinum benefits are better than Hilton Gold.

But I agree, if the OP has a lot of "stays", Hilton might make sense. I think that's how I've always made Silver at Hilton, as I usually have about 10-12 one night stays per year.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:06 am

I think the biggest difference is that Hilton Golds get breakfast right? It also requires 40 nights, if that's the OP's counter, which is nearly Platinum at Marriott -- and the Platinum benefits are better than Hilton Gold.

But I agree, if the OP has a lot of "stays", Hilton might make sense. I think that's how I've always made Silver at Hilton, as I usually have about 10-12 one night stays per year.
That and the 80% bonus.
Here are the stays/nights for Hilton elite levels:
Silver 4/10
Gold 20/40
Diamond 30/60
So yeah, Silver is pretty easy to make (and pretty useless, same as MR). The OP’s stay pattern could make a big difference.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I am Hilton Diamond and Marriott Platinum Premier, though I just started a new job and travel will be much less.

My 2 cents:

Marriott, especially with the SPG merger, has better aspirational properties.
Marriott has an actual award chart so you know how much you are going to spend for a free night. Hilton gives out miles like candy, but you have no clue how much a free room will be. It’s like Zimbabwean currency.
In terms of higher end properties, Marriott is probably nicer than Hilton, though I like, in general, HGI and Hamptons better than Courtyards or Springhill/Fairfield.
When looking at a city and comparable hotels I usually (maybe 75 percent of the time) find Hilton cheaper. That seems a more recent trend, but it could just be where I am traveling.
I find Hilton stays more consistent. I have had some wonderful Marriott stays, but also some disasters. I have not had any real wow stays at Hilton, but never had any huge issues.
Customer service and just getting basic things done have fallen off a cliff post merger at Marriott. It’s been 4 months, not sure when someone needs to say this isn’t working internally and heads roll. The attitude that there is nothing wrong is just off putting and arrogant.

To me, the actual stay experience is most important so that is why I have had more stays at Hilton (for years I was almost exclusively Marriott, over 100 nights a year for years). At least that is when traveling by myself for work. My wife doesn’t like Hilton’s pillows, so with her on vacation it is usually Marriott. But as with anything, your experience will vary based on where you are staying, what is important to you (like pillows), etc.

Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:13 am

That and the 80% bonus.
Right, but I'm not sure the earn/spend value ratio is the same at Hilton as Marriott. I've done no scientific analysis, because I don't really care that much, but someone probably has. What I do know is I have a lot of Hilton points and when I've tried to use them the rate seems really high compared to most of the Marriotts I like, so I've nearly always used Marriott points as I feel I'm getting better value. BUT - it may just be that I understand Marriott point values better since that's my primary hotel company.

That said, I probably use points once a year (at most) anyway. It's only when I'm on vacation and can't find a hotel I like within my budget. So as someone else wrote, it really depends on what you value.

I value the concierge lounge, free breakfast, an occasional room upgrade,a han dful of free night certs each year, and now suite night awards, which I get at PPE (and soon LT Plat). The OP needs to figure out what he wants out of it.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:17 am

Right, but I'm not sure the earn/spend value ratio is the same at Hilton as Marriott. I've done no scientific analysis, because I don't really care that much, but someone probably has. What I do know is I have a lot of Hilton points and when I've tried to use them the rate seems really high compared to most of the Marriotts I like, so I've nearly always used Marriott points as I feel I'm getting better value. BUT - it may just be that I understand Marriott point values better since that's my primary hotel company.

That said, I probably use points once a year (at most) anyway. It's only when I'm on vacation and can't find a hotel I like within my budget. So as someone else wrote, it really depends on what you value.

I value the concierge lounge, free breakfast, an occasional room upgrade,a han dful of free night certs each year, and now suite night awards, which I get at PPE (and soon LT Plat). The OP needs to figure out what he wants out of it.
Yes, 1 Hilton point is definitely worth less than 1 Marriott point. Hilton points are also, in general, easier to earn than Marriott points giving the higher percentage bonuses and generally better promos. I find the points earning/burning to generally even out, but will obviously vary depending on how one redeems points.

As someone who is currently gold in both programs, I find very little I value in Marriott gold, aside from extra points. I do find value in the breakfast benefit for Hilton gold. All the things you value seem to start at Platinum. It seems to me that things tip back to Marriott when one gets to the Platinum/Diamond level. JMO.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:37 am

It seems to me that things tip back to Marriott when one gets to the Platinum/Diamond level. JMO.
I think that probably makes sense. And we both seem to agree that it all comes down to what one values in the programs.
Cledaybuck likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'm not sure the earn/spend value ratio is the same at Hilton as Marriott. I've done no scientific analysis, because I don't really care that much, but someone probably has. What I do know is I have a lot of Hilton points and when I've tried to use them the rate seems really high compared to most of the Marriotts I like, so I've nearly always used Marriott points as I feel I'm getting better value. BUT - it may just be that I understand Marriott point values better since that's my primary hotel company.
I've seen various people over the years spreadsheet out whether MR or HH (or <insert name of program>) gets them to their desired rewards faster. Putting together such models of earn-and-burn rates requires lots of assumptions about how and where you travel. You can't do it in general but you can do it for yourself with reasonable assumptions

For example, you might figure in a year you stay X times at a hotel costing Y/night for Z nights. Compute all the points including base points, elite bonus, arrival bonus, affinity credit card points, and an estimate of promos. Then compare it to the awards points cost of some desirable hotel "Q" where you'd like to stay. Run those numbers for two competing brand families and see which gets you nights at "Q" faster. @:-)
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Given that you're having this consistent experience why don't you do what I do: (a) I will always get the business card of someone with a decent job title in the lounge or the front desk so that I have a named email address at the property, and (b) I will always carry the paper folio away with me when I check out.

If the stay doesn't post or it posts incorrectly then you can email a named person at the hotel itself and ask them to fix it. I have 100% success rate with this approach and it's a lot easier than filling in a missing stay form on a web site and waiting for corporate to check it out, agree with you and fix it.

For example, I only had one stay not post at a Design Hotel and after eight days (there's no excuse for a stay not posting within 48 hours) I wrote a nice email to the front desk thanking them for a great stay and asking them to ensure my stay posted. It appeared by magic within 24 hours. Similarly, I had Christmas Dinner at the W Bangkok and left with the blue points form in my wallet. I scanned it and emailed them this week because nothing had appeared and it was there the next morning.

I think you're unlucky if you're having such a consistently bad experience with stays not posting but contacting the hotel itself directly will probably be less frustrating for you when trying to resolve.
I do that all the time and it still took me at least 6-8 weeks to chase down and get the points. In the case of renaissance, KL I got the email of FD manager and have emailed her and all I got was "I have filled Marriott's missing points / stay form for you. If your points don't post in 14 days, please contact Marriott"
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:32 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I do that all the time and it still took me at least 6-8 weeks to chase down and get the points. In the case of renaissance, KL I got the email of FD manager and have emailed her and all I got was "I have filled Marriott's missing points / stay form for you. If your points don't post in 14 days, please contact Marriott"
Why don't you just call Marriott customer service? The plat line (or whatever is left of it) has fixed a recent stay of mine quickly and without issue. It's an annoyance for now, but in 8 years I've only had a handful of properties not post or post incorrectly out of 1000+ nights.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
SPG had numerous sales where MR points could be obtained after conversion for about 3/4 cent each. Hilton is currently offering points for 1/2 cent each. So, a reasonable starting point for relative values is 1.5 HH to 1 MR point.

Last edited by rny321; Jan 16, 2019 at 8:49 am
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
That's a magnificent example of buck passing on the part of the FD manager. It's a legacy-Marriott Renaissance and has not being going through the system change that Sheratons, LeMs etc. have gone through so she should have been able to investigate directly. I'm surprised you got this response.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:44 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Marriott wins again

Well, taking advantage of the one day only Jan 14 AAdvantage eShopping 10x miles for Marriott bookings yesterday, I am pretty sure I’ll make out like a bandit with Marriott. I literally had 40+ bookings already made for 2019 that I canceled and rebooked through the AA eShopping to take advantage of the offer.

Not only will I earn tons of AA miles for stays I already had booked, I actually managed to lower my rates for almost half my stays.

This on top of my amazing Ambassador.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Well, taking advantage of the one day only Jan 14 AAdvantage eShopping 10x miles for Marriott bookings yesterday, I am pretty sure I’ll make out like a bandit with Marriott. I literally had 40+ bookings already made for 2019 that I canceled and rebooked through the AA eShopping to take advantage of the offer.

Not only will I earn tons of AA miles for stays I already had booked, I actually managed to lower my rates for almost half my stays.

This on top of my amazing Ambassador.
so I just put the phone down with marriott I never knew the points expire, how crazy is that? They said they I "have to" use it within a certain amount of time, have I gone mad or does this rule apply for all other hotels points Base system??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.