Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott vs Hilton (and other hotel program comparisons)

Marriott vs Hilton (and other hotel program comparisons)

Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mister Nice

i think this is an important point . The time we spend on following up on things that fall through the cracks has real value , be it monetary or other .
It's worth noting, but it may not impact the OP at all. I've spent no time on this, and all my stays, points, etc. have posted correctly...although occasionally a little later than pre-merger. A classic case of YMMV.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:39 pm

After August I move my stays to Hilton and Hyatt, and I am positively surprised by the number of upgrades to the suites at Hilton (I'm Diamond) and breakfast is stabill in brands.
Hilton definitely improved how he treats his guests.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Mister Nice

i think this is an important point . The time we spend on following up on things that fall through the cracks has real value , be it monetary or other .
Don't use the form. Call them. I've had 4 missing stays and all were completed over the phone. I've tried using the missing stay/points form before and it seems to be a total CF, especially if its related incorrect points.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:35 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I also agree with Marriott points / stays not posting currently after the merger. I haven't had a stay where I did not have to spend significant amount of time getting the stay / points posted correctly.
The flow has been like:
  • I fill up the missing stay form or contact us
  • 10 days later someone sends me a email that they have verified and everything looks good. Everything that was supposed to be posted is posted
  • I check and find that either nothing was done or the posting is still incorrect
  • 10 days later someone fixes it (sometimes another email round)
The latest is my stay in KL which I checked out on 1/1 which posted incorrectly. I have filled up contact us and waiting for them.
I agree 100%. I thought it was just me! I had a two stays in December that I had to chase them down about posting. One, after 10 days and no post, I sent an email with the folio for the nights/points. They messed it up first - guess they didn't read the second page, so I had to send them back another email. So really it took 2 weeks to post.

Then another stay, again 10 days later, I contacted the hotel. Points are still messed up. I am going to wait the 7 days they said it might take to fix (doubt it will be fixed).

Is anyone getting compensation for this hassle? Like seriously, how hard is it to get the nights/points right? Especially points that should be 10 per US $ spent...

I think they are outsourcing this part of the work and those people can't do math, or use XE.com to do exchange rates properly.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Like you I’m in the U.K. I was in a similar position to you 10 years ago, I had some experience of Hilton and of Marriott. I found prices were similar and Marriotts properties to be in better condition than Hilton’s. Marriotts points accumulated at a Lower rate than Hilton’s but redeemed at lower rates. Overall the earn and burn on points seemed similar. I went with Marriott and am now Lifetime Plat. If I’d chosen Hilton I’d be only halfway to lifetime Diamond, a status any American can get by holding Hiltons Premium credit card - and get 14 points per $ too! But we don’t get that here.

Today Hilton points are worth about half Marriotts, and that’s assuming you can get a regular room, otherwise Hilton redemption rates are crazy-mad. Luckily being in Europe does mean that it is easier to find standard room redemptions than in America. Here in the U.K. the accumulation rate is similar between the two, Marriott PP is 17.5 per $ plus 6 points per Ł using the British SPG AMEX. That is 30 points per Ł. Hilton is 20 per $ but their anaemic U.K. credit card only pays 3 per Ł, so ends up at 30 per Ł as well. Hilton’s promos aren’t any better than Marriotts now. Both get room upgrades, both get free breakfasts at full service, both get lounge access. The only advantage Hilton has is the 10,000 bonus points on staying 40, 50, 60 and 70 paid nights. Even so, Hilton just can’t catch up with Marriott earn and burn rates here in the UK.

One advantage Hilton had was slightly more properties than Marriott but with the SPG purchase Marriott now numbers 100 hotels here and has recently signed up a significant owner of U.K. properties which are being rebranded to Delta adding another 20. By the end if this year Marriott will number 120 U.K. properties meaning it’s ferry easy to find a place to stay and accumulate those nights.

Here in the UK, the advantage very much lies with Marriott.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:56 pm

The assumption on FlyerTalk seems to be that everything offered by frequent guest elite programs are desirable to everyone who travels. Although true for the majority, it's not true to all. Examples:
  • Upgrades: I almost always travel alone. Although I'll accept them if offered, I literally do not care about suites (junior or full). With a few location-specific exceptions, I don't spend any time standing at a hotel window looking at the view. So, upgrades to rooms with better views mean nothing to me.
  • Breakfast: Due to my normal sleeping schedule, I almost never eat breakfast. A free breakfast means nothing to me.
  • Executive Lounge Access: Not my thing. As a bit of a germaphobe, I hate seeing people violate basic sanitary standards. That means I'm not eating anything that isn't wrapped.
  • Aspirational Properties: My idea of a good vacation isn't jetting off to <insert far-flung location> to stay at a Five-Diamond resort with people fawning over me. (I'm a "check me in and leave me alone until I leave" type of traveler.) As such, the global footprint and ease of redemption at aspirational properties doesn't affect me.
I chased status within a single hotel group for many years. Eventually, I figured out that the only real benefits I received were bonus points and preferred customer service. (Both of those aspects are quite valuable, in my book.) But, to get those things, I was paying more to stay within the hotel group or selecting less-ideal locations for that trip. I finally gave up and moved to booking the best hotel for me for that trip.

My overall point is that every traveler is a little different. Take a few minutes to decide which elite-level benefits are important to you. If you can eliminate a benefit as irrelevant, that might help determine which hotel group is the best fit.

Note: I'm not knocking anyone who finds value in any of my bulleted items. They just don't matter much to me.
johnndor, bosman and bluestrudels like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
OP, it's difficult to define which hotel portfolio is better to focus your stays, status, and points with. It's always which is better for what. And many times, "for what?" comes down to the specifics of where you travel and what you prioritize.

For example, at a previous job the company HQ was within a block of 2 Hilton properties. Most of my remote colleagues became Hilton loyalists because it was so convenient when visiting HQ. They figured Hilton and Marriott were basically equal everywhere else they traveled so they went all-in with Hilton. Meanwhile I chose Marriott. The Hiltons near HQ did nothing for me (I was local) and in 3 locations I traveled repeatedly I deemed the Marriott offerings noticeably better than Hilton's.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
If you choose Marriott I suggest do the platinum challenge. If your bookings are being paid for and you dont have to pay for breakfast out of pocket go for Marriott. If you pay for breakfast go for the program that gives you breakfast as an amenity which at 30 nights wont be Marriott. Upgrades are really more important if you are on holiday and related more to time of year and where you holiday.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I think it depends on what your goals are and where you stay.

If you stay in predominantly mid-tier brands I’d say the Hilton experience offers more with properties like HGI, Hampton Inn, and DoubleTree having more consistent value than 4 Points, Courtyard, etc.

If you stay predominantly in full service brands I’d say that Marriott is a better way to go, Marriott Marquis, Sheraton, and Westin hotels I find to be a cut above.

I concur with others that Hilton points are incoherent and hard to understand. I also concur with everyone that Hyatt has the best hotels and hotel program, hands down. Sadly, their network is quite limited and it doesn’t fit into my usual staying needs. I keep a minimal status with them, just to maintain a relationship with them, but it will unlikely ever suit my service needs exclusively.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I also agree with Marriott points / stays not posting currently after the merger. I haven't had a stay where I did not have to spend significant amount of time getting the stay / points posted correctly.
The flow has been like:
  • I fill up the missing stay form or contact us
  • 10 days later someone sends me a email that they have verified and everything looks good. Everything that was supposed to be posted is posted
  • I check and find that either nothing was done or the posting is still incorrect
  • 10 days later someone fixes it (sometimes another email round)
The latest is my stay in KL which I checked out on 1/1 which posted incorrectly. I have filled up contact us and waiting for them.
Given that you're having this consistent experience why don't you do what I do: (a) I will always get the business card of someone with a decent job title in the lounge or the front desk so that I have a named email address at the property, and (b) I will always carry the paper folio away with me when I check out.

If the stay doesn't post or it posts incorrectly then you can email a named person at the hotel itself and ask them to fix it. I have 100% success rate with this approach and it's a lot easier than filling in a missing stay form on a web site and waiting for corporate to check it out, agree with you and fix it.

For example, I only had one stay not post at a Design Hotel and after eight days (there's no excuse for a stay not posting within 48 hours) I wrote a nice email to the front desk thanking them for a great stay and asking them to ensure my stay posted. It appeared by magic within 24 hours. Similarly, I had Christmas Dinner at the W Bangkok and left with the blue points form in my wallet. I scanned it and emailed them this week because nothing had appeared and it was there the next morning.

I think you're unlucky if you're having such a consistently bad experience with stays not posting but contacting the hotel itself directly will probably be less frustrating for you when trying to resolve.
artsieange likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: VS Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Palty
thanks everyone for your responses
i actually live in London and not in the US,
hotels stays are actually everywhere from London to Europe the USA and Asia
however much articles I've read about this topic still Marriott always come out (for me) the better option so i think i will stick with them for now.
thanks guys
I’m also London based and use Hilton a lot in the US and Asia. Currently have Diamond status and always get a room upgrade in Asia - normally to a suite. In the US it tends to just be a nicer room in the same price band. The complimentary breakfast and Exec lounge access that status brings are useful - lounges tend to be more substantial in Asia than the US. I’ve also used point to reduce room rates a couple of times - this option seems to be available even when full points redemption rooms aren’t available. It’s quite a good option in the run up to Christmas when New York room rates go way above the corporate allowance.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
The assumption on FlyerTalk seems to be that everything offered by frequent guest elite programs are desirable to everyone who travels. Although true for the majority, it's not true to all.
So very, very true. And if the OP is really staying less than 50 nights, I'm not sure there's a significant difference in benefits between the two chains -- the question is do any of those small differences matter to him. Hilton might get you to a status faster -- I don't pay much attention, but occasionally I'm surprised to find that I've made some type of status in the first 6 months (usually Silver) at Hilton, even though it's by far my secondary option to Marriott.

At under 50 nights/yr, I'd probably be looking purely at the value of points and, IMO, Marriott beats Hilton there. I've slowly accumulated a lot of Hilton points and found that I never find a good way to spend them.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
OP, it's difficult to define which hotel portfolio is better to focus your stays, status, and points with. It's always which is better for what. And many times, "for what?" comes down to the specifics of where you travel and what you prioritize.

For example, at a previous job the company HQ was within a block of 2 Hilton properties. Most of my remote colleagues became Hilton loyalists because it was so convenient when visiting HQ. They figured Hilton and Marriott were basically equal everywhere else they traveled so they went all-in with Hilton. Meanwhile I chose Marriott. The Hiltons near HQ did nothing for me (I was local) and in 3 locations I traveled repeatedly I deemed the Marriott offerings noticeably better than Hilton's.
+1

I used to be Hilton and moved to Marriott about 3 years back. Why?

Upgrades. I have about 60 nights of work travel and about 15 nights of vacation nights a year.

For work travel, all I care about is breakfast. I can expense even if it's not free but I try to save my employer some money (where I reasonably can).
For personal travel (myself, spouse and our 6 year old), I care a lot about upgrades, breakfast and lounge access. Don't care much about restaurant breakfast.

I moved to Marriott coz upgrades became super rare (tried, Australiz, US, Europe and Asia). Most of the times I was told I have been upgraded but most of the time I couldn't even find the difference. Wit Marriott, I am getting upgraded almost every time in Asia. Haven't taken a domestic (US) vacation in last 2 years, but have some coming up this year, so let's see.
twasbrillig likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:33 am

One simple perspective: the opportunity often lies where everyone else isn't. Whether that be in stocks, real estate, or hotel loyalty programs. The asset that everyone is in is likely overvalued. Now that everyone is in Marriott, it could be time to go elsewhere - the other programs are likely undervalued and may well be working harder. Just a thought.

Personally, I've been a Hilton guy forever and am doing 50/50 with MR (top tier at both). My two cents based on experience is that Marriott is overhyped and Hilton does just as much for its guests.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by arlflyer
One simple perspective: the opportunity often lies where everyone else isn't. Whether that be in stocks, real estate, or hotel loyalty programs. The asset that everyone is in is likely overvalued. Now that everyone is in Marriott, it could be time to go elsewhere - the other programs are likely undervalued and may well be working harder. Just a thought.

Personally, I've been a Hilton guy forever and am doing 50/50 with MR (top tier at both). My two cents based on experience is that Marriott is overhyped and Hilton does just as much for its guests.
- In the past my primary chain was SPG and Hilton/IHG were the secondary choices when SPG wasn't available or location was inconvenient. I would typically re-qualify in SPG by nights and by stays with Hilton. After the merger I do find a lot of new cuts in SPG hotels and Platinum Premier Elite recognition being almost non-existent during my several recent stays in USA My view of Marriott chain was that they are a mirror of Hilton at least in USA. In my view there isn't much of a difference. Just see where you traveling and where you would like to redeem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.